Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 09:12 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
so racial discrimination based on the bible is acceptable? Or stoning your wife is acceptable?

Perhaps giving the wive some wormwood to induce a miscarriage is ok?

Or can we circumcise our neighbors before killing them and raping their women?

what happens to the community if they allow the witch to live?

But it is GREAT if daughters sleep with their fathers???
*** cue the incoming response from Jeff and the like ***

All of that is different!!!! Context!!!!

Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You mean when you call certain people fundies...

It is noted.
It's simply a short-form for Christian fundamentalism: a relatively recent, predominantly American sub-set of Christianity.

That it has taken on a pejorative sense is because the people who practice it are largely unpleasant and mean-spirited.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

It's sad and disgusting that people like you will spit on the Bible and distort CLEAR facts to push an agenda that celebrates sin. I'm not surprised since you've shown that you are not beneath just making up crap about me like claiming that I'm a homosexual.
Again, the bible is given an elevated status over god, Jesus and the Holy Spirit?

Seems evangelicals can do ANYTHING to others, blaspheme god, twist the words of Christ and ignore the HS, but let someone question or challenge the bible (written by MEN just 4 MEN) all holiness is thrown at the bible-hater...

Without the bible all we have is a real RELATIONSHIP with god...

Old 12-12-2018, 09:47 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,143,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's simply a short-form for Christian fundamentalism: a relatively recent, predominantly American sub-set of Christianity.

That it has taken on a pejorative sense is because the people who practice it are largely unpleasant and mean-spirited.

The TOS in here is Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. It doesnt take much to see the term Fundie is typically used in an insulting manner towards others here.

If people starting responding in return and referring to others as Heathens when they dont agree with them, because the word Heathen is in the bible and fits the bill of people who oppose scripture, you all would get your undies in a wad and be screaming to the mods that you are being insulted, yet dont see your own hypocrisy on a daily basis.

Disagreeing with Homosexuality doesnt make anyone a Fundie. Would disagreeing with incense or pedophilia make one a fundie too, if both parties and in equal agreement of what they are doing, but what they are doing goes agaisnt scripture?

Old 12-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The TOS in here is Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. It doesnt take much to see the term Fundie is typically used in an insulting manner towards others here.

If people starting responding in return and referring to others as Heathens when they dont agree with them, because the word Heathen is in the bible and fits the bill of people who oppose scripture, you all would get your undies in a wad and be screaming to the mods that you are being insulted, yet dont see your own hypocrisy on a daily basis.

Disagreeing with Homosexuality doesnt make anyone a Fundie. Would disagreeing with incense or pedophilia make one a fundie too, if both parties and in equal agreement of what they are doing, but what they are doing goes agaisnt scripture?
How silly.

First of all, hating on gays is not the only determining characteristic of a fundie. They also believe that the man is the master of the household, that people who don't believe as they do will burn for an eternity in hell, and that Genesis is history - as well as other nonsense.

It's just that ranting and railing about gays being treated as regular people has been their front-burner issue the past few years. As evidenced by this thread, and others.

And I would not take umbrage at being called a heathen. Go for it.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:48 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:

It's approved bigotry... isolating... dividing... I got it.

I ain't complaining... just shining some light.

There's a Wikipedia entry for the n-- word as well. That makes it OK, right?

Some bigotry is approved, others isn't...

Old 12-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
It's approved bigotry... isolating... dividing... I got it.

I ain't complaining... just shining some light.

There's a Wikipedia entry for the n-- word as well. That makes it OK, right?

Some bigotry is approved, others isn't...
For fundies, yes. They approve treating gays as 2nd-class citizens, just as their forebears did for blacks.

Nowadays fundies can't call gays f-gs. Just like they can't call blacks the n-word. But they can still treat them like crap.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:44 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Umm we didn't make a post here for the entire weekend, but nooo, your side just had to come back and take more shots at us. It's all about grand standing and BIGOTRY against God's people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If there is a God, then everyone or ALL PEOPLE are his people.
There is nothing special about those professing to be Christian.

Bigotry begins: When you isolate or divide humanity.
Quote:
You mean when you call certain people fundies...

It is noted.
Fundamentalists have isolated themselves with this "us" and "them" mentality. They are responsible for creating the condition(s) of separation and/or segregation among the people. It's their biased and prejudice views that divide humanity based on their beliefs of certain people being secondhand citizens. It has been going on for centuries, merely changing one form of discrimination for that of another.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

Why would we care if you called us heathens? I refer to myself as a heathen all the time on here. I say things like, "us heathens" and whatnot.

Besides, fundie is merely a shortened version of fundamentalist. Easier and quicker to type. Usually it is used in the same matter as fundamentalist. Why would this get your panties in a wad?

Old 12-12-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
For fundies, yes. They approve treating gays as 2nd-class citizens, just as their forebears did for blacks.

Nowadays fundies can't call gays f-gs. Just like they can't call blacks the n-word. But they can still treat them like crap.
Exactly, Trout. Hiding behind a book so they can hate gays and claim it's their religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Fundamentalists have isolated themselves with this "us" and "them" mentality. They are responsible for creating the condition(s) of separation and/or segregation among the people. It's their biased and prejudice views that divide humanity based on their beliefs of certain people being secondhand citizens. It has been going on for centuries, merely changing one form of discrimination for that of another.
Yes, exactly. I have noticed in my fairly short time here, that hatred and bigotry of all sorts is usually started by fundamentalists. They may change their stripes here or there, but still the same groups. They can't just let people live their lives, they have to inject their ideas, beliefs, and prejudices. Gay people want to get married, causing no problems with religious freedoms or problems in their lives? OH NO!!! NOT ON MY WATCH!!!!

It is both a sad and pathetic thing to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity