Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
For fundies, yes. They approve treating gays as 2nd-class citizens, just as their forebears did for blacks.

Nowadays fundies can't call gays f-gs. Just like they can't call blacks the n-word. But they can still treat them like crap.
Lots of bigotry here... I guess you will keep doing your part.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:51 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
For fundies, yes. They approve treating gays as 2nd-class citizens, just as their forebears did for blacks.

Nowadays fundies can't call gays f-gs. Just like they can't call blacks the n-word. But they can still treat them like crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Lots of bigotry here... I guess you will keep doing your part.
You are entitled to an opinion, but pointing out that fundamentalists have discriminated in the past and continue to discriminate today is not bigotry, it's a FACT based on history.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:59 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Exactly, Trout. Hiding behind a book so they can hate gays and claim it's their religion.

Yes, exactly. I have noticed in my fairly short time here, that hatred and bigotry of all sorts is usually started by fundamentalists. They may change their stripes here or there, but still the same groups. They can't just let people live their lives, they have to inject their ideas, beliefs, and prejudices. Gay people want to get married, causing no problems with religious freedoms or problems in their lives? OH NO!!! NOT ON MY WATCH!!!!

It is both a sad and pathetic thing to see.
Fundamentalist Christians act much like Fundamentalist Islam/Muslims. They want to FORCE everyone to practice THEIR religion or else. That shows it's obviously not of the truth. It is very similar to any type of Dictatorship. It is controlled and run by MEN who like to use brute force to impose their will on all. It certainly is PATHetic.

pa·thet·ic
[pəˈTHedik]
ADJECTIVE
arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness.
"she looked so pathetic that I bent down to comfort her"
synonyms:
pitiful · pitiable · piteous · to be pitied · moving · touching · poignant · [more]

informal
miserably inadequate.
"his test scores in Chemistry were pathetic"

archaic
relating to the emotions.

synonyms:
feeble · woeful · sorry · poor · pitiful · lamentable · deplorable

Old 12-12-2018, 01:18 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Oh, so you want to ignore the rest of the world, and only focus on the US, huh? You know that there is more to this world than just the US, right? Sure, you can try and skew whatever stats you want, and confine it to certain regions and put conditions on it, but it just makes you look silly.
I'm not the one doing the skewing. Africa is a completely different situation so it is downright dishonest to lump them in with US statistics and then claim that homosexuality has nothing to do with it because the grand total numbers point to a different demographic.

Quote:

After all, the south (the most religious area of the US) has the largest amount of new HIV cases, by almost people 6 per 100,000 (Not going to count those "dependent areas" since you don't want to count those types of places, but the south is still 4 people per 100,000 higher than those 3rd world areas...). Also, 4% of new cases in gay men are drug related, not sex related.
Wow 4%. So what are the other 96%? And what does region have to do with anything? Nothing.

Quote:

Look at the whole picture, Jeff. You want to talk about discounting Africa because of the ongoing issues, poverty and sanitation, yet if you look at the stats, that is clearly a large issue in the US as well, since most new cases aren't coming from the wealthy suburbs...

You just can't accept that there are real consequences to ppl who engage in this type of sexual behavior. Your post is an amazing desperate attempt to try to shift the focus away from very clear FACTS. The vast majority of HIV contractions in the US continue to be in the gay community. That fact destroys the claim that heterosexuals do it just as much.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:34 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You mean when you call certain people fundies...

It is noted.
I only call "certain people" fundamentalists/fundies who themselves identify as such by their belief that the Bible is actually the literal Word of God. It's a descriptive term of those who embrace the fundamentalist version of Christianity. What else would you have us call you to differentiate between fundamentalist and NF Christians?

Serious question.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:39 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Why would we care if you called us heathens? I refer to myself as a heathen all the time on here. I say things like, "us heathens" and whatnot.

Besides, fundie is merely a shortened version of fundamentalist. Easier and quicker to type. Usually it is used in the same matter as fundamentalist. Why would this get your panties in a wad?
I have said this about ten times on this forum, Imiss. Fundamentalist is just so loooong.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:28 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
[color="Navy"]Jeff, I can't speak for anyone else on this board but when I respond to you I don't care if you're a professed Christian or not. I don't care what particular label you might apply to yourself. I am NOT being critical of the Bible. I am NOT being critical of many, perhaps most, Christians. I am responding to you personally as an individual who has spent so much of your time lying your way through this particular topic and attempting to use your Bible (especially shameful) with which to do so.
Nothing more than the isolation tactic here. You want to make it appear as if I am the only one out here holding these beliefs. But the reality is if you attack me then you are attacking millions of Christians who share my beliefs:

Quote:

Many of the largest U.S. religious institutions have remained firmly against allowing same-sex marriage, including the Roman Catholic Church, the Orthodox Jewish movement and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as well as the Southern Baptist Convention and other evangelical Protestant denominations.
Where Christian churches, other religions stand on gay marriage | Pew Research Center

Quote:

I've exposed your lies any number of times but still you dig your heels in and continue to spout them. So this 'taking shots at us' and this 'bigotry against God's people' is a lot of BS! Moreover, if I were to label you it would certainly not be 'one of God's people' since your posts in no way describe you as such. So, stop this cry-baby 'boo-hooing' because, don't kid yourself, you DON'T represent 'Christianity'!*

Yeah well, you don't know me so it is incredibly arrogant to make such a claim based solely on some internet opinions. You don't know my walk, my testimony or my heart so it really only makes you look bad to make these kind of statements. Here's a fun test. Let's say u were the biblical author of the time and God told you that homosexuality was a sin. So how exactly would you record that it is wrong since no distinct term existed for such a thing? I imagine the authors right now are just agast wondering how else would we have made it more clear for people to avoid this sin? I even told them to run from it. Flee in 1 Corinthians 6:18.

Quote:

Once again. The Bible does not address homosexuality. It cannot. The authors would not have known what homosexuality was. ALL references to same gender sexual practices in scripture refer to idolatry and temple prostitution. Maybe a hint of rape. And this is NOT referring to 'homosexuality' per se but rather men (in all likelihood heterosexuals, but who cares?) performing sexual rituals with 'sacred' prostitutes (in all likelihood heterosexuals, but who cares?) aimed toward receiving 'supernatural' favors from the idols rather than serving and worshiping the one true God. The sexual orientation of either the prostitutes or their clients is IRRELEVANT!!
Once again, it does. Do you honestly believe that something doesn't exist in reality until an English word is created for it? Really? Homosexuality was clearly described in Levictius. It says other nations and even the land was defiled because of it. That has NOTHING to do with pagan worship.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:49 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I'm not the one doing the skewing. Africa is a completely different situation so it is downright dishonest to lump them in with US statistics and then claim that homosexuality has nothing to do with it because the grand total numbers point to a different demographic.
Thank you for proving my point! Dishonest people don't look at the whole picture. They only look at the parts that fit their narrative. Which is exactly what you are doing. "Hey, don't look at all these thousands upon thousands of cases across the world, only look at these where the homos have the highest numbers!!!!"

Quote:
Wow 4%. So what are the other 96%? And what does region have to do with anything? Nothing.
The point, which obviously went over you head, is that anal sex is not the only cause, as you keep trying to make it out to be.

And what does region have to do with it? A lot, apparently, since the most religious region is by far the region with the most new cases. Weird.... Are there just that many gay Christians, or are there that many gay people in religious areas???

Quote:
You just can't accept that there are real consequences to ppl who engage in this type of sexual behavior. Your post is an amazing desperate attempt to try to shift the focus away from very clear FACTS. The vast majority of HIV contractions in the US continue to be in the gay community. That fact destroys the claim that heterosexuals do it just as much.
Straight people engage in the same behaviors, Jeff. Many of the people on this very forum engage in it with their husbands and wives or significant others. It has nothing to do with gay or straight, so much as promiscuity and unsafe sex. As long as you guys treat them like lepers, you are going to have those who are afraid to "come out", and will undoubtedly end up in unsafe sexual encounters. You guys are, at the very least, partly to blame for this. Without the constant harassment and denigration of gay people coming from fundamentalists, they wouldn't feel the need to hide and have sex with strangers.

You also have people who are just stupid, but those are straight people too.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:51 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have said this about ten times on this forum, Imiss. Fundamentalist is just so loooong.
Agreed. Fundie is just much easier for my fingers

I will use fundamentalist when I feel I need to, or if fundie just doesn't sound right in the sentence. I don't mean it in some derogatory way. If people take it that way, they should really not be on an internet forum at all.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Homosexuality was clearly described in Levictius. It says other nations and even the land was defiled because of it. That has NOTHING to do with pagan worship.
That's Leviticus, and no it isn't. And yes, it has everything to do with pagan worship and prostitution that you simply keep ignoring to support your ideology. Although you are entitled to an opinion, the actual text or language does not confirm your conclusions which are personal in nature. It's what you have been taught to believe, nothing more. And, you do discriminate against others because of your personal views which have been documented within this thread based on your religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.