Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 06:22 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I have presupposed NOTHING. I can read! Romans 1 is describing idolatry and the practices affiliated with it! Romans 1 is NOT referring to homosexuality as we today define the term. Paul might have been a smart cookie for his time and culture but he would have known nothing about human sexuality. You're actually doing an injustice to Paul by exalting him to the level of an all-knowing and righteous deity. I'm sure he would not approve of this as he referred to himself as a wretched man and, indeed, 'the chief of sinners'.

Since it's the word 'hate' that you have an issue with, what word would you prefer as to how the mainstream Christian regards homosexuality? Is it 'love'? If it is then why do you keep bringing up Romans 1 and the Leviticus texts in which to rub their noses? Why are you quoting the Bible to them at all?

Did you just describe yourself? I haven't given my own opinions with reference to this topic. I've stuck with the Bible. And, any prejudices I might have is with regard to those who use the Bible with which to demean other people. Such people irritate me. Is that a fair use of the term 'prejudice', do you think?

Why do you keep using the term 'we' as though you're the all-knowing oracle of the minds of all Christians? Opinions, eh? The FACTS are: It's been the trend for the past several decades for 'the Church' to be in opposition - some militantly so! - to homosexuality, presumably using the Bible as its source. MANY professed Christians have CERTAINLY used the word you appear to dislike - hatred - toward gay people. And, if your name happened to be Matthew Shepard ...you were killed for being gay. Have you been living under a rock, BF, to not be aware of this?

Anyway, as long as the Bible is being used to demean gay people - and it IS! - then I really do believe that 'hatred' is the appropriate English word to use.
Does it matter what I actually say to respond? I've told you over and over again on this very thread that I don't hate anyone, gay or anyone else. And you proceed to tell me I do. That is bigotry. Please just stop this display of bigotry.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:38 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Does it matter what I actually say to respond? I've told you over and over again on this very thread that I don't hate anyone, gay or anyone else. And you proceed to tell me I do. That is bigotry. Please just stop this display of bigotry.
This isn't necessarily about you, BaptistFundie. The thread title is "Why does homosexuality anger conservative Christians more than other sins?" The thread title is accurate. How you can still persist that homosexuality has not challenged 'the Church' in recent times and even divided many churches in the process because of its, um, 'animosity' (is that word better?) for homosexuality and homosexuals I really have no idea. Here in Australia, even though gay marriage received a landslide approval vote last year, Christian schools and other organizations are still discriminating against gay students and teachers. And, due to separation of church and state, they're allowed to do so. Gay students can be expelled. Gay teachers can be fired. This situation is being presently looked into by the government.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Yes. Romans 1. It's crystal clear to anyone without a presupposition.

But that's not the point of the bigoted first post. I've told you we don't hate gay people. I don't hate gay people. No Christian I know of hates gay people, but this is now almost 500 pages stating we do.

I'll remind you of the definition of bigotry according to Merriam-Webster: "obstinate or intolerant devotion to one's own opinions and prejudices "

We've told you what we believe but you obstinately and intolerantly persist in believing your own opinion about us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Whether through ignorance or malicious intent, you or I or anyone can't control how others see people.
Quote:
True, but it is interesting how the bigots continue to dictate to us how we feel, despite us telling them otherwise. When we tell them something is not true about us and they continue to state otherwise, that is a perfect example of bigotry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No they don't.

Well - you can let them dictate how you feel - but why would you do that? They have been doing this for years. They will continue as God allows them. We can't change them. It is what it is.

Jesus had to deal with the same thing and He definitely did not let others dictate how He felt, or who He was.
Quote:
I have presupposed NOTHING. I can read! Romans 1 is describing idolatry and the practices affiliated with it! Romans 1 is NOT referring to homosexuality as we today define the term. Paul might have been a smart cookie for his time and culture but he would have known nothing about human sexuality. You're actually doing an injustice to Paul by exalting him to the level of an all-knowing and righteous deity. I'm sure he would not approve of this as he referred to himself as a wretched man and, indeed, 'the chief of sinners'.

Since it's the word 'hate' that you have an issue with, what word would you prefer as to how the mainstream Christian regards homosexuality? Is it 'love'? If it is then why do you keep bringing up Romans 1 and the Leviticus texts in which to rub their noses? Why are you quoting the Bible to them at all?

Did you just describe yourself? I haven't given my own opinions with reference to this topic. I've stuck with the Bible. And, any prejudices I might have is with regard to those who use the Bible with which to demean other people. Such people irritate me. Is that a fair use of the term 'prejudice', do you think?

Why do you keep using the term 'we' as though you're the all-knowing oracle of the minds of all Christians? Opinions, eh? The FACTS are: It's been the trend for the past several decades for 'the Church' to be in opposition - some militantly so! - to homosexuality, presumably using the Bible as its source. MANY professed Christians have CERTAINLY used the word you appear to dislike - hatred - toward gay people. And, if your name happened to be Matthew Shepard ...you were killed for being gay. Have you been living under a rock, BF, to not be aware of this?

Anyway, as long as the Bible is being used to demean gay people - and it IS! - then I really do believe that 'hatred' is the appropriate English word to use.
Quote:
Quote:
This isn't necessarily about you, BaptistFundie. The thread title is "Why does homosexuality anger conservative Christians more than other sins?" The thread title is accurate. How you can still persist that homosexuality has not challenged 'the Church' in recent times and even divided many churches in the process because of its, um, 'animosity' (is that word better?) for homosexuality and homosexuals I really have no idea. Here in Australia, even though gay marriage received a landslide approval vote last year, Christian schools and other organizations are still discriminating against gay students and teachers. And, due to separation of church and state, they're allowed to do so. Gay students can be expelled. Gay teachers can be fired. This situation is being presently looked into by the government.
Anger is a reaction to something perceived as infringing on a person’s right(s) or their sense of morality.
Often times, the fundamentalists will hide this emotion of anger, under the guise of not hating anyone.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
You need to establish the idea that conservative Christians are angered by it. Not by you taking their rights away, not by your prejudiced, bigoted remarks...but by homosexuality. You haven't done that. I certainly don't know of any Christian, conservative or liberal that hates, or is angered by homosexuality.

Prove the intent. Prove what they're thinking. Do that and I'll shut up.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
The thread is about fundie anger towards gays.

BF, almost by himself, has turned it into being about hate.

We are what we foment.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:23 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
You need to establish the idea that conservative Christians are angered by it. Not by you taking their rights away, not by your prejudiced, bigoted remarks...but by homosexuality. You haven't done that. I certainly don't know of any Christian, conservative or liberal that hates, or is angered by homosexuality.

Prove the intent. Prove what they're thinking. Do that and I'll shut up.
How is giving all people equal rights taking other's rights away?

Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
How is giving all people equal rights taking other's rights away?
Not the point. This thread is about Christianity supposedly angering Christians. It's not about the politics of rights and laws. Your question is completely off-topic and irrelevant.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Not the point. This thread is about Christianity supposedly angering Christians. It's not about the politics of rights and laws. Your question is completely off-topic and irrelevant.
Wrong.

My question is absolutely on point. The question is why some Christians get their panties in a knot when it comes to homosexuality, and the key point is, that homosexuals, same as whites, blacks, Asians, First Nations, Inuit, Catholics, Buddhists and what ever other segmentation you can think of, all have the same rights.

Demanding those rights are recognized do not diminish any one else's, including conservative Christians.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:40 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
No. I don't hate "everything they are", nor do I believe that they shouldn't have rights. To continue to say that is bigotry. If you continue to insist that, I must call you a bigot. You fit the definition precisely.
1. Do you believe they should have a RIGHT to marry?
2. Do you believe they should have a RIGHT to serve as officers in your church?
3: Do you believe they have a RIGHT to not be discriminated against by commercial businesses?
4. Do you believe they have a RIGHT to live in the same apartment building with you?
5. Do you believe they have a RIGHT to be a schoolteacher or daycare center worker.

Answer yes to all these and you aren't a bigot and you don't hate even if you see them as "sinful."

But you can't actually answer these with a "yes" in good conscience. So YES, the world views you as a religious bigot, no different than a Muslim bigot when it comes to homosexuality.

Quote:
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Matt. 22:39

If you need to know who your neighbor is, read the story of the Good Samaritan.

You treat this certain group of people differently than you would yourself be treated. That means that no matter how much of a "christian" you are, you don't follow Jesus. And yes, there is a horse hockey load of "christians" who think the same way--showing just how far fundamentalists have taken their churches toward hell.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Wrong.

My question is absolutely on point. The question is why some Christians get their panties in a knot when it comes to homosexuality, and the key point is, that homosexuals, same as whites, blacks, Asians, First Nations, Inuit, Catholics, Buddhists and what ever other segmentation you can think of, all have the same rights.

Demanding those rights are recognized do not diminish any one else's, including conservative Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
1. Do you believe they should have a RIGHT to marry?
2. Do you believe they should have a RIGHT to serve as officers in your church?
3: Do you believe they have a RIGHT to not be discriminated against by commercial businesses?
4. Do you believe they have a RIGHT to live in the same apartment building with you?
5. Do you believe they have a RIGHT to be a schoolteacher or daycare center worker.

Answer yes to all these and you aren't a bigot and you don't hate even if you see them as "sinful."

But you can't actually answer these with a "yes" in good conscience. So YES, the world views you as a religious bigot, no different than a Muslim bigot when it comes to homosexuality.

Matt. 22:39

If you need to know who your neighbor is, read the story of the Good Samaritan.

You treat this certain group of people differently than you would yourself be treated. That means that no matter how much of a "christian" you are, you don't follow Jesus. And yes, there is a horse hockey load of "christians" who think the same way--showing just how far fundamentalists have taken their churches toward hell.
Completely off-topic, irrelevant. Political discussions do not establish the emotion of anger or hate. Your attempts to hijack this thread further is not going to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity