Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 04:03 PM

45,724 posts, read 27,340,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. Romans 1. It's crystal clear to anyone without a presupposition.

But that's not the point of the bigoted first post. I've told you we don't hate gay people. I don't hate gay people. No Christian I know of hates gay people, but this is now almost 500 pages stating we do.

I'll remind you of the definition of bigotry according to Merriam-Webster: "obstinate or intolerant devotion to one's own opinions and prejudices "

We've told you what we believe but you obstinately and intolerantly persist in believing your own opinion about us.
Whether through ignorance or malicious intent, you or I or anyone can't control how others see people.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:12 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,070,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Whether through ignorance or malicious intent, you or I or anyone can't control how others see people.
True, but it is interesting how the bigots continue to dictate to us how we feel, despite us telling them otherwise. When we tell them something is not true about us and they continue to state otherwise, that is a perfect example of bigotry.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Oh sure, BF, you don't hate them... You just hate everything they are and think they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else, or access to happiness. But sure, you don't hate them....
No. I don't hate "everything they are", nor do I believe that they shouldn't have rights. To continue to say that is bigotry. If you continue to insist that, I must call you a bigot. You fit the definition precisely.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,252,379 times
Quote:
No. I don't hate "everything they are", nor do I believe that they shouldn't have rights. To continue to say that is bigotry. If you continue to insist that, I must call you a bigot. You fit the definition precisely.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:27 PM

16,739 posts, read 15,747,697 times
Quote:
I notice you said that LGBT should have rights. Which rights do you think they should have?

Old 12-10-2018, 04:53 PM

45,724 posts, read 27,340,900 times
Quote:
True, but it is interesting how the bigots continue to dictate to us how we feel, despite us telling them otherwise. When we tell them something is not true about us and they continue to state otherwise, that is a perfect example of bigotry.
No they don't.

Well - you can let them dictate how you feel - but why would you do that? They have been doing this for years. They will continue as God allows them. We can't change them. It is what it is.

Jesus had to deal with the same thing and He definitely did not let others dictate how He felt, or who He was.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 12-10-2018 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 05:17 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,758,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Oh sure, BF, you don't hate them... You just hate everything they are and think they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else, or access to happiness. But sure, you don't hate them....
Everything they are? So you really think a person's sexual preference 100% defines who they are? I guess you think that is all that matters.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,252,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Everything they are? So you really think a person's sexual preference 100% defines who they are? I guess you think that is all that matters.
If not all, it's certainly most of what fundies focus on when it comes to pointing out sins of Others.

Don't fear the mirror, jeff.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I think in their world, yes--they do. Personally, I think a person is more than their sexuality.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:17 PM

6,805 posts, read 2,936,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Well, at least I know that I'm not on ignore.

So, how about it, BaptistFundie, can you offer a scripture pertaining to same gender sex that DOES NOT refer to pagan idolatry practice but rather to 'homosexuality' as we today recognize this normal sexual orientation for those to whom it applies? You see, I don't believe AT ALL that the ancient authors of scripture had any clue as to what a homosexual or a heterosexual (even in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek equivalent terms) was. All they knew - and all they needed to know - is that a man was a man and a woman was his possession.

If you're unable to offer up such a Bible text, just say so.
Quote:
Yes. Romans 1. It's crystal clear to anyone without a presupposition.
I have presupposed NOTHING. I can read! Romans 1 is describing idolatry and the practices affiliated with it! Romans 1 is NOT referring to homosexuality as we today define the term. Paul might have been a smart cookie for his time and culture but he would have known nothing about human sexuality. You're actually doing an injustice to Paul by exalting him to the level of an all-knowing and righteous deity. I'm sure he would not approve of this as he referred to himself as a wretched man and, indeed, 'the chief of sinners'.

Quote:
But that's not the point of the bigoted first post. I've told you we don't hate gay people. I don't hate gay people. No Christian I know of hates gay people, but this is now almost 500 pages stating we do.
Since it's the word 'hate' that you have an issue with, what word would you prefer as to how the mainstream Christian regards homosexuality? Is it 'love'? If it is then why do you keep bringing up Romans 1 and the Leviticus texts in which to rub their noses? Why are you quoting the Bible to them at all?

Quote:
I'll remind you of the definition of bigotry according to Merriam-Webster: "obstinate or intolerant devotion to one's own opinions and prejudices"
Did you just describe yourself? I haven't given my own opinions with reference to this topic. I've stuck with the Bible. And, any prejudices I might have is with regard to those who use the Bible with which to demean other people. Such people irritate me. Is that a fair use of the term 'prejudice', do you think?

Quote:
We've told you what we believe but you obstinately and intolerantly persist in believing your own opinion about us.
Why do you keep using the term 'we' as though you're the all-knowing oracle of the minds of all Christians? Opinions, eh? The FACTS are: It's been the trend for the past several decades for 'the Church' to be in opposition - some militantly so! - to homosexuality, presumably using the Bible as its source. MANY professed Christians have CERTAINLY used the word you appear to dislike - hatred - toward gay people. And, if your name happened to be Matthew Shepard ...you were killed for being gay. Have you been living under a rock, BF, to not be aware of this?

Anyway, as long as the Bible is being used to demean gay people - and it IS! - then I really do believe that 'hatred' is the appropriate English word to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity