Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 09:56 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So, you don’t know what it means, but you know what it doesn’t mean.
That's a good way to put it.

Nobody can be sure what was meant by the phrase, but we can be pretty sure he wasn't talking about the group of writings we call the Bible, some of which did not yet exist and the compilation of which would not happen for a couple hundred more years.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:01 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's irrelevant, because that hasn't happened to anyone here. But I do get mildly irritated when someone quotes my post and then proceeds to post a response that has no relation to anything in my posted that was quoted.

I'll get over it, though.
I think you're being extremely naive. Not sure if it's intentional or not.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think you're being extremely naive. Not sure if it's intentional or not.
I think that claiming that 90% of the posts on this thread are people picking on you is a bit extreme even for someone who appears to see the world through that prism.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
I think that claiming that 90% of the posts on this thread are people picking on you is a bit extreme even for someone who appears to see the world through that prism.
I never said that. I said that 90% of them are people picking fights and mocking conservative Christians, of which I am one.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:57 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
So, you don’t know what it means, but you know what it doesn’t mean.
I absolutely, positively, beyond any shadow of a doubt know Paul's mind on this subject. He was speaking of the Old Testament. Period. The NT would not be known as Scripture for almost 300 years though there were communities that revered some of what became the NT and some of what was rejected.

Adam Clarke Commentary
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God - This sentence is not well translated; the original πασα γραφη θεοκνευστος ωφιλιμος προς διδασκαλιαν, κ. τ. λ. should be rendered: Every writing Divinely inspired is profitable for doctrine, etc. The particle και, and, is omitted by almost all the versions and many of the fathers, and certainly does not agree well with the text. The apostle is here, beyond all controversy, speaking of the writings of the Old Testament, which, because they came by Divine inspiration, he terms the Holy Scriptures, 2 Timothy 3:15; and it is of them alone that this passage is to be understood; and although all the New Testament came by as direct an inspiration as the Old, yet, as it was not collected at that time, not indeed complete, the apostle could have no reference to it.
-------------------

Albert Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible
All Scripture - This properly refers to the Old Testament, and should not be applied to any part of the New Testament, unless it can be shown that that part was then written, and was included under the general name of “the Scriptures;” compare 2 Peter 3:15-16. But it includes the whole of the Old Testament, and is the solemn testimony of Paul that it was all inspired. If now it can be proved that Paul himself was an inspired man, this settles the question as to the inspiration of the Old Testament.
-----------------
James Nisbet's Church Pulpit Commentary
I. The mode of inspiration is beyond human definition.—For seventeen centuries, at least, the Church of Christ deliberately refrained from defining it. And she showed her wisdom in refraining. The attempts of later days to distinguish between ‘the inspiration of superintendence,’ ‘the inspiration of elevation,’ ‘the inspiration of direct revelation’ etc., have ended as they deserved to end—in failure. The truth is we are no more qualified to pronounce upon the mystery of Inspiration than we are upon the mystery of the Incarnation. In both the Divine and the human elements are blended.
II. But though, we cannot fully say what inspiration is, we may be able to remove some misconceptions if we make clear what it is not.
(a) When we affirm the inspiration of Holy Scripture, we have in view not existing documents, but the original manuscripts only.
(b) But while we say this, we do not mean (as some appear to think we must) that Scripture is written in scientific language. It could not be so written, for the scientific language of one age differs widely from that of the next.
(c) Nor are we to be understood to contend that all parts of Scripture are necessarily of equal value.
(d) Nor do we mean that every statement therein recorded or therein described has necessarily received God’s sanction or been authorised by Hiim

All commentary sources derived from https://www.studylight.org/commentar...othy/3-16.html

Old 12-24-2018, 05:58 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
That's a good way to put it.

Nobody can be sure what was meant by the phrase, but we can be pretty sure he wasn't talking about the group of writings we call the Bible, some of which did not yet exist and the compilation of which would not happen for a couple hundred more years.
The apostles said ALL scripture is divinely inspired. If that’s the case, then we can assume the entire Bible is, especially since the prophets, Jesus and the apostles preached the same message, that is, salvation through the Messiah.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:12 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
The apostles said ALL scripture is divinely inspired. If that’s the case, then we can assume the entire Bible is, especially since the prophets, Jesus and the apostles preached the same message, that is, salvation through the Messiah.
Where does it state in the Tanakh that salvation is through the Mashiach?...

Old 12-24-2018, 06:16 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Nope...Your assumption is wrong...

Old 12-24-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
It is way too obvious to me that the Scriptures are the work of men. Some of it seems inspired by (not "breathed" by) reaching for God, the seeking of connection with the divine. Some of it is self-serving and cannot possibly anything more than the work of faulty humans.

We won't ever agree on this. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:45 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
You can assume anything you want, but that doesn't make it logical. At the time that letter was written, the only possible understanding of the term "Scripture" was in reference to the documents used in the Jewish synagogues.

If that letter had said that it was divinely inspired, and assuming anybody believed at that time that it was, it would have been enshrined in a special display and an entire building constructed to preserve it.

Where is the original letter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.