Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 04:24 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You've said that about one hundred times, but you don't seem to be able to grasp why that is. "Believing the Bible"--in other words, believing that it's literally "the Word of God" as opposed to the words of men from a certain time and place--gives such believers the idea that it's therefore OK to be unkind to LGBTQ people simply because of who they are, when in fact the root of the disgust for one's fellow humans really lies not within God, but within yourselves.

That's the whole problem in a nutshell. Such a cold-hearted, compassionless stance should be taken with the expectation of backlash. It is mean.

No matter how much you think you are being picked on, literalists/fundamentalists are not the people who are being hurt in this situation. Not one bit.
1. No one is suggesting that we have a "right" to be unkind to anyone. We've told you that, and others. True bigotry is to take our words, toss them out the window, and then use your own opinion in place of it. That's just not nice.

2. Why is it that you get upset over perceived unkindness but you have no issue with hating other things that the Bible determines as sin?

Old 12-22-2018, 05:23 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
1. No one is suggesting that we have a "right" to be unkind to anyone. We've told you that, and others. True bigotry is to take our words, toss them out the window, and then use your own opinion in place of it. That's just not nice.

2. Why is it that you get upset over perceived unkindness but you have no issue with hating other things that the Bible determines as sin?
Ummmm .... because it is not the Bible that determines sin?

Old 12-22-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No. It's God. And God has stated (as recorded in the Bible) that it is. I trust it more than the words of some guy named nate. SUPPOSEDLY you claim to believe in Jesus, whom the Bible talks about. It's ONLY in the Bible that we read of Jesus. You claim you know all about Jesus...but you reject the word of God at the most basic level.

And you really haven't addressed the issue that for some reason you (and others here) accuse us of hatred or bigotry when there is none. It's really quite hateful of you. I'm sorry that you are such a shameless hater.

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 12-22-2018 at 05:58 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 07:31 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It has nothing to do with reading between the lines, and everything to do with the truth. If you want to remain ignorant that's your choice, but I will stick with the original meaning, not a 1946 edition by homophobes or those who have an irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.
Quote:
I'm not sure you would know the meaning if it bit you on the rear end. You have to read into it to get the idea of "orientation".

The real question is, why are you willing to overlook certain sins but not others? Why do you believe God looks more harshly on the things that bother you than homosexuality?
You have to be ignorant to believe it is talking about sexual orientation, when it relates to that of abusing oneself and others.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
...snip... I'm sorry that you are such a shameless hater.
I truly hope one day you make that confession in front of the mirror and go forward from that moment a better human.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:02 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift
Quote:
No. It's God.
No, it isn't. It's the words contained in a book as authored, not by God, but by mere mortals. You have been led to believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God without any actual proof that it is. And, because you believe this to be the case then everyone else is supposed to believe as you believe. Otherwise their particular beliefs, if any, are less valued than your own. Perhaps the Bible IS the word of God but you don't know that it is any more than the rest of us do. You just believe it to be so.

I grew up believing that the Bible was the word of God. But I've grown since then, gained more life experience, more scriptural knowledge, and have learned so much more than I once thought I knew. Probably the worst thing a professed Christian can do is to stagnate in their beliefs. But, this does seem to be pretty much what fundamentalist Christians tend to do. All I can say with as much honesty as I can muster is that I cannot relate to the God of the Old Testament but I can relate to Jesus of the New Testament and I find that I'm still drawn to His system of teaching.

Quote:
And God has stated (as recorded in the Bible) that it is.
As above...ditto.

Quote:
I trust it more than the words of some guy named nate. SUPPOSEDLY you claim to believe in Jesus, whom the Bible talks about. It's ONLY in the Bible that we read of Jesus. You claim you know all about Jesus...but you reject the word of God at the most basic level.
The difference, as I mention above, is that beliefs should not stagnate but rather remain fluid and open to change whenever new light is received. Many of us have certainly received new light on homosexuality in recent times while others, seemingly, would prefer to ignore or to deny it for, probably, personal reasons. That's their prerogative, of course, but their clinging to ancient texts* as written by mere mortals in the belief that these texts actually contain the thoughts of a being that created EVERYTHING is the result of a stagnate (or biased) mind and is, actually, an insult to this Creator Being.

Quote:
And you really haven't addressed the issue that for some reason you (and others here) accuse us of hatred or bigotry when there is none. It's really quite hateful of you. I'm sorry that you are such a shameless hater.
Such nonsense. But then, apparently ...a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men. Willy Wonka.

* Even the ancient texts are misunderstood by these Christians in question. There is no condemnation of homosexuality in the Bible. There are NO places in the Bible stating that homosexuality is a sin. There are NO Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek terms in the Bible for 'homosexuality'. ONLY in some post-1946 Bibles (corrupt interpretations) is the term 'homosexuality' or, indeed, ANY reference at all to homosexuality, used. If the King James Version of the Bible was all one had, these discussions on 'Homosexuality and the Bible' would likely not be taking place at all.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:50 PM

63,827 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
[color="Navy"]No, it isn't. It's the words contained in a book as authored, not by God, but by mere mortals. You have been led to believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God without any actual proof that it is. And, because you believe this to be the case then everyone else is supposed to believe as you believe. Otherwise, their particular beliefs, if any, are less valued than your own. Perhaps the Bible IS the word of God but you don't know that it is any more than the rest of us do. You just believe it to be so.
True. They have taken the idea that the Bible CONTAINS revelations of God's Truth and corrupted it into accepting everything in it. The problem with this view is that they do not TEST anything in the Bible against the Holy Spirit as described and demonstrated by Jesus which all Christians are told to do. Anything that contradicts or is inconsistent with Christ's Sermon on the Mount, 1st Corinthians 13 and Galatians 5 can NOT be from God or Jesus, PERIOD!

Old 12-22-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
No, it isn't. It's the words contained in a book as authored, not by God, but by mere mortals. You have been led to believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God without any actual proof that it is. And, because you believe this to be the case then everyone else is supposed to believe as you believe. Otherwise their particular beliefs, if any, are less valued than your own. Perhaps the Bible IS the word of God but you don't know that it is any more than the rest of us do. You just believe it to be so.

I grew up believing that the Bible was the word of God. But I've grown since then, gained more life experience, more scriptural knowledge, and have learned so much more than I once thought I knew. Probably the worst thing a professed Christian can do is to stagnate in their beliefs. But, this does seem to be pretty much what fundamentalist Christians tend to do. All I can say with as much honesty as I can muster is that I cannot relate to the God of the Old Testament but I can relate to Jesus of the New Testament and I find that I'm still drawn to His system of teaching.

As above...ditto.

The difference, as I mention above, is that beliefs should not stagnate but rather remain fluid and open to change whenever new light is received. Many of us have certainly received new light on homosexuality in recent times while others, seemingly, would prefer to ignore or to deny it for, probably, personal reasons. That's their prerogative, of course, but their clinging to ancient texts* as written by mere mortals in the belief that these texts actually contain the thoughts of a being that created EVERYTHING is the result of a stagnate (or biased) mind and is, actually, an insult to this Creator Being.

Such nonsense. But then, apparently ...a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men. Willy Wonka.

* Even the ancient texts are misunderstood by these Christians in question. There is no condemnation of homosexuality in the Bible. There are NO places in the Bible stating that homosexuality is a sin. There are NO Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek terms in the Bible for 'homosexuality'. ONLY in some post-1946 Bibles (corrupt interpretations) is the term 'homosexuality' or, indeed, ANY reference at all to homosexuality, used. If the King James Version of the Bible was all one had, these discussions on 'Homosexuality and the Bible' would likely not be taking place at all.
Again...you've set yourself up as the authority over God himself. Yay for you. And why exactly should we believe you?

Old 12-22-2018, 10:38 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Again...you've set yourself up as the authority over God himself. Yay for you. And why exactly should we believe you?
You have your beliefs set up to be the authority of God and you have rubber stamped them by declaring them to be the infallible inerrant word of God. Next

Old 12-22-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You have your beliefs set up to be the authority of God and you have rubber stamped them by declaring them to be the infallible inerrant word of God. Next
Only as far as it agrees with what God has said in his Word. You know...the words you like to paraphrase and pretend to believe?

Look man...I'm sorry. But this fake front you put up of pretending to believe just gets old. If you want to claim to believe in Jesus...then believe him. And believe the ONE source we have to know about him. Otherwise, you may as well be believing in some god named Vishnu, or Bob, the one-eyed spaghetti monster from Tuscon.

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 12-22-2018 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity