Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
From the Bible, sin is sin. Period. Nowhere is there talk from God to the effect "this bothers me more than that".

It is man who comes up with the idea of rating sins. Man loves playing God. Man can't resist changing God's ways and teachings to fit a purely human agenda; one that usually gets in the way of loving one another, as commanded.
I believe Mary Vincent on the 29th of September, 1978, in Berkeley, California would disagree. They may be equal in that of being unrighteous, but they are far from being equal when it comes to the suffering and damage inflicted. This is from a post of mine on page 121. Whereas, all sins are not equal, some are greater than others.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:44 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
But that doesn't give you the right to shame, mistreat or discriminate against them.
More lies.

And I have NEVER advocated for shaming, mistreating or discrimination. The only exception is when they try to force Christian business owners to service their immoral ceremony. That's discrimination against gay marriage, not the person.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:54 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
People are not born gay.
I used to believe that also.

But then, science showed me that I was wrong, as are you.

Here is a good lay persons overview. I can reference actual studies if you wish to have more detailed information.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
But that doesn't give you the right to shame, mistreat or discriminate against them.
Quote:
More lies.

And I have NEVER advocated for shaming, mistreating or discrimination. The only exception is when they try to force Christian business owners to service their immoral ceremony. That's discrimination against gay marriage, not the person.
Of course, you don't want any part of their marriage to be successful. Because to you, it is a sin?
But you cannot denounce the marriage without fault-finding or criticizing the person, themselves.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
In a straight, manly, bromance sort of way though, right? RIGHT???
I think more in the Brokeback way.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:59 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
.And yes--a Christian can and should call adultery a sin.
Jesus didn't so why are you?.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I've avoided this thread, but hey, we're up to page 523 now so why not add my own dribble?

Conservative "Christians" (Christians in name only) have plenty of hates to engage in, beside homo stuff:

1) Hispanics, oh sorry, I mean border-crossers
2) blacks
3) reds
4) Asians
5) hippies
6) dopesters
7) people who don't wear suits and dresses
8) people who can think
9) people who can back up what they believe in
10) people who have read books besides the Bible
11) college graduates
12) college professors
13) anyone who works at a college (janitors, etc.)
14) people who listen to rock music
15) people with artistic intentions
16) art galleries
17) PBS
18) extraterrestrials
19) people who like good food
20) anyone from any other country
21) anyone who speaks a language besides English
22) people who drink wine (damn those at the Last Supper!)
23) people who enjoy nature
24) people who appreciate God's creations outdoors
25) everything else outside the tiny little boxes that denote their existence
Methinks you have just described an echo chamber!

Old 12-20-2018, 11:02 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
More lies.

Did geekigurl find you to be anything other than shaming homosexuals? Of course, not—-you are like both her personal and church family.

From a Southern Baptist pastor of 31 years who has made a 180 degree turn from your “non-discriminatory” viewpoint:

Quote:
I am not advocating anyone be given a “pass” to sin or live in a sinful lifestyle. If it is, in fact, a sin to have same-sex attraction or to “practice same-sex behavior within the context of marriage,” then we ought to call it what it is –sin –and call for true repentance.

However, if the evidence reveals otherwise, then it is the church that needs to repent of the false accusations and the prejudice from which many Christians speak and feel in their hearts! I must also set the record straight by saying I have not changed my views on God, the Trinity, the atoning work of Jesus Christ through His shed blood on the cross, the authority of Scripture, the Church, Christ’s return, Heaven and Hell, or any other major doctrine.

Furthermore, I do not believe my interpretation of Scripture, as it pertains to homosexuality and same-sex marriage, is admittance God’s Word is faulty in any way, shape or form. Bottom line, I believe God’s Word is true! I simply contend certain scriptures have been misunderstood and erroneously taught——
———-
As a pastor and a responsible Christian, I am compelled to speak out against that which contradicts the teaching of Jesus Christ. I can’t live with myself trying to make everybody happy, even my Southern Baptist friends, at the expense of truth. I understand my stance on this subject will come under fire. I understand I will lose friends. I’ve already come under fire. I’ve already lost many friends. Some have even suggested what I am doing is paramount to ministry suicide. Even so, I can no longer turn a blind eye to that which has become crystal clear.
McQueen, Scott; Reasonable Doubt: A Case for LGBTQ Inclusion in the Institutions of Marriage and Church, Preface.

Here is a man who took the time to study the Greek and Hebrew language regarding same sex attraction and came up with a new vision—-and it cost him his pastorate which he considers a small loss for finding the truth.

That’s what real men (and women) of God do when new evidence comes to light.

You, however, remind me much more of an ostrich.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
I've avoided this thread, but hey, we're up to page 523 now so why not add my own dribble?

Conservative "Christians" (Christians in name only) have plenty of hates to engage in, beside homo stuff:

1) Hispanics, oh sorry, I mean border-crossers
2) blacks
3) reds
4) Asians
5) hippies
6) dopesters
7) people who don't wear suits and dresses
8) people who can think
9) people who can back up what they believe in
10) people who have read books besides the Bible
11) college graduates
12) college professors
13) anyone who works at a college (janitors, etc.)
14) people who listen to rock music
15) people with artistic intentions
16) art galleries
17) PBS
18) extraterrestrials
19) people who like good food
20) anyone from any other country
21) anyone who speaks a language besides English
22) people who drink wine (damn those at the Last Supper!)
23) people who enjoy nature
24) people who appreciate God's creations outdoors
25) everything else outside the tiny little boxes that denote their existence
Are you describing conservative “christians” or Repub——uh, hold that thought!

Old 12-21-2018, 01:09 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Non-fundamentalists Christians do not "reject" the Bible. It's a BOOK, for God's sake, and I mean that expression literally, or more accurately a collection of writings. Some are good, some are bad. ALL were written by human beings.

It's not God. I hope someday you see that and understand the damage that believing that this collection of writings is literally "God's Word" has done and has the potential to further do.

As strongly as you believe the bolded, I believe the polar opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity