Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2018, 02:40 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Except that Paul’s writings were identified as Scripture by Peter. They knew they were writing Gods Word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Nope. Not a chance. Paul was writing letters; some obviously in response to letters he had received.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No they were not. The scriptures are the OT.
You are correct BF. Also, Paul knew his writings were scripture.

You received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe.

1 Thess. 2:13

Old 12-24-2018, 03:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

You received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe.

If it's in the bible, it must be...in the bible.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

"The word of God" does not refer to "scripture," but to the message that Jesus embodied.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:30 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
So if I write a new Bible and claim it is a direct revelation from God, and put a passage in it that it is the inspired word of God, without error, will that mean it is the new Bible that all must believe? After all the book says it is the one true word of God.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:36 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
So if I write a new Bible and claim it is a direct revelation from God, and put a passage in it that it is the inspired word of God, without error, will that mean it is the new Bible that all must believe? After all the book says it is the one true word of God.
Obviously, that is how it works. Don't take my word for it, though. There are several here that have already confirmed it.

BTW, nice to see you, rev. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2018, 07:43 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
If other believers over thousands of years preach the same message, then maybe so.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:46 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Obviously, that is how it works. Don't take my word for it, though. There are several here that have already confirmed it.

BTW, nice to see you, rev. Merry Christmas!
This would be an example of the mocking, bigotry and general obnoxious posts that occur on a regular basis.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:48 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"The word of God" does not refer to "scripture," but to the message that Jesus embodied.
Actually, that is wrong. I've seen enough from you though, that I have gotten used to the contradictory statements you've made. You claim to worship Jesus..but you deny the Scriptures that testify to him. I don't know where you heard of this Jesus you claim to worship without actually reading anything that talks about him.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:03 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, that is wrong. I've seen enough from you though, that I have gotten used to the contradictory statements you've made. You claim to worship Jesus..but you deny the Scriptures that testify to him. I don't know where you heard of this Jesus you claim to worship without actually reading anything that talks about him.
I gave the opinions of early church father Origen, as well as more recent scholars that 2nd Peter was most by far questioned to be pseudepigraphical, and is probably a criticism of Paul based on the Greek language used.
Quote:
--textual critic Daniel Wallace (who maintains that Peter was the author) writes that, for most experts, "the issue of authorship is already settled, at least negatively: the apostle Peter did not write this letter" and that "the vast bulk of NT scholars adopts this perspective without much discussion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Author...trine_epistles

How do you think the first century Christians, even before Paul's writings, became Christian? They had no Bible. Certainly not a NT. There was nothing to read, yet they believed. So apparently it IS possible to become a Jesus follower without reading a single word about Him.

But to educate you better--or at least provide you with an opportunity to do so and wipe out any excuse you will make to God about why the Bible is your god rather than Jesus---listen to a Southern Baptist preacher, Andy Stanley, son of Charles Stanley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmoTAtH3zus&t=517s

Published in April, 2018, here is a summary by Andy of his message:

If you were raised on a version of Christianity that relied on the Bible as the foundation of faith, a version that was eventually dismantled by academia or the realities of life, maybe it’s time for you to change your mind about Jesus. Maybe it’s time for you to consider the version of Christianity that relies on the event of the resurrection of Jesus as its foundation. If you gave up your faith because of something about or in the Bible, maybe you gave up unnecessarily.

Andy graduated Dallas Theological Seminary and is far more conservative than I am. But he is a "thinking" conservative pastor, not like most of the idiots that stand in fundamentalist pulpits.

Quote:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made.…
John 1:1-3
Quote:
He who comes from above is above all, he who is of the earth is from the earth and speaks of the earth He who comes from heaven is above all.
John 3:31
Quote:
The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand.
John 3:35

I'm sorry for you that your faith must rely on the Bible rather than on the One to Whom it points. You have religion, but not Christ. And you haven't even read your own Bible nor understood its purpose.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 12-24-2018 at 10:36 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 10:55 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Will it have a note that says, "Please disregard the previous version.

Sincerely, God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity