Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 05:38 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
God is the one that gave the commandments regarding emission of a man's seed. God is Spiritual.
I am curious, what do you think happens to the emission or seeds, after the best swimmers reach their destination?

Last edited by Jerwade; 11-24-2018 at 06:14 PM..

Old 11-24-2018, 05:45 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,911,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
There is nothing more carnal than a focus on what does or does not happen to one's "seed" as you call it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
God is the one that gave the commandments regarding emission of a man's seed. God is Spiritual.
To whom it may concern: Nocturnal emissions (ahem, wet dreams) or husbands having sexual intercourse with wives incapable of producing offspring will surely result in a one-way trip to the pit. Be warned!

Old 11-24-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
<snip>

Y'know ...I wonder what it would take for urbanlemur, Jeff, BaptistFundie and the few others of similar mindsets to actually reconsider their position on this subject? There have certainly been enough well thought out reasons offered via the many posts on this thread to get them to rethink their professed 'beliefs'. Could it be pride or sheer dogged tenacity getting in the way? Could it be the consequences from compromise or acceptance of homosexuality they fear based on their belief in eternal torment for those who don't toe the line? How terrible to be held in the grip of fear of the very One they so adamantly claim 'loves them'!

Anyway, I'm truly interested to know what makes such people tick and as to why some SO FIRMLY continue to dig in their heels, even in the face of mounting evidence that clearly shows them to be in the wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
it has nothing to do with pride but everything to do with God-breathed Scripture that has stood the test of time for centuries. the Bible prophecies that many will attempt to mislead many by corrupting and rewriting what is holy but on the flip side, there are several verses which address those who attempt to do so and i would advise against it since i certainly would not want to be on the wrong side of judgment day.
Well, refer to the bolded in my post and the bolded in your post, urbanlemur. Thanks for giving me one of the reasons I asked for (and suspected) as to why you will not reconsider your position on this topic. You're afraid of offending 'God' for fear of what He will do to you. It truly must be hell being a part of a religious belief that has you perpetually walking on eggshells.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
[/color]

Well, refer to the bolded in my post and the bolded in your post, urbanlemur. Thanks for giving me one of the reasons I asked for (and suspected) as to why you will not reconsider your position on this topic. You're afraid of offending 'God' for fear of what He will do to you. It truly must be hell being a part of a religious belief that has you perpetually walking on eggshells.
If fundies weren't so unlikable, I'd feel sorry for them. In fact, I do feel very sorry for the children indoctrinated by fundie parents. And I pity the religiously-damaged, whom I see in this forum every day.

But I despise the self-righteous hypocrites who confuse the bible with a god and bash Others with it.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
and as a fundamental Christian believer, your opinion is noted....but that's all
I don't seek to change you, lemur. I seek to hold a mirror to your true self and dare you to look.

Should you dare, your change will come from within.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
James 4 states: "Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”? But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” this, of course refers to sinful people’s practices, evil tendencies, cravings for things that are in opposition to God, false beliefs, rebellion, and so on. the “world” in this context is where we get the phrase “worldliness,” which of course refers to sinfulness.

1 John 2:15–16 "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world."

you can follow whatever road you wish but i am staying right where i am.
You can quote scripture 'til the cows come home. My question to you (in the hopes of receiving a response without your having to consult your Bible) is ...HOW do you separate yourself from the world in which you (and we) live? How about offering some clear or tangible examples as to how you separate yourself from the world so that we can see how sincere you are? Otherwise, all we see are mere words on a screen. Please ...back up your above statements by offering a run-down of the daily routine of yours from a typical day which has you 'separated from the world'.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:37 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,272 times
interesting how the fundamentalists here are using Scripture and exercising a great deal of patience discussing this issue with everyone and yet, there are some here who simply must resort to name-calling, mud-slinging and laying down insults. oh well, Jesus said that we will face this and much more for His Name's sake. so, i don't get angry or frustrated about it. not worth shooting my blood pressure up for it, that's for sure.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't seek to change you, lemur. I seek to hold a mirror to your true self and dare you to look.

Should you dare, your change will come from within.
when i look in the mirror, i see someone who would have been eternally lost and separated from God but instead, is saved by the grace and mercy of God and thankful every day for it because of the work of Jesus on the Cross.

actually, you should be using the 10 commandments as a mirror to your own life and not holding one up to another. if you're honest with yourself, you probably won't be surprised to find that you have broken more than one of them since, if you break one, you've broken all of them, meaning that you are a sinner and in need Jesus Christ's gift of salvation much more than you realize.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
when i look in the mirror, i see someone who would have been eternally lost and separated from God but instead, is saved by the grace and mercy of God and thankful every day for it because of the work of Jesus on the Cross.

actually, you should be using the 10 commandments as a mirror to your own life and not holding one up to another. if you're honest with yourself, you probably won't be surprised to find that you have broken more than one of them since, if you break one, you've broken all of them, meaning that you are a sinner and in need Jesus Christ's gift of salvation much more than you realize.
Oh hell, I've broken several commandments. The first three are stupid. Some of the others are worthy.

But there's more to ethics and morality than those simplistic bits of primitive "wisdom."

Old 11-24-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
You can quote scripture 'til the cows come home. My question to you (in the hopes of receiving a response without your having to consult your Bible) is ...HOW do you separate yourself from the world in which you (and we) live? How about offering some clear or tangible examples as to how you separate yourself from the world so that we can see how sincere you are? Otherwise, all we see are mere words on a screen. Please ...back up your above statements by offering a run-down of the daily routine of yours from a typical day which has you 'separated from the world'.
ok..i'll tell you. i begin my day with prayer and with study time in the Word. i take care of my lovely wife and love her as much as possible according to the manner in which Christ calls the husband to love his wife and family according to God's Word. this means i don't visit certain sites online nor do i read any kind of literature that would make me lust after another woman. when i'm out with my wife, i try and keep my eyes where they should be....on her and not someone else. it can be difficult at times but my eyes are supposed to be upon my wife only. when we're at home, we read together, we pray together and we seek to be loving grandparents to our two grandsons.

i don't smoke, drink, take drugs, i am offended by off-color jokes, i am offended by much of what is called entertainment today and avoid most of it be it TV, movies or music. i fellowship with my family and my church family. i listen to spiritual music that is uplifting and glorifying to God. i very rarely listen to music other than Christian.

when i am out in the world, i try hard to be polite and pleasant with everyone. living in NYC makes that a very difficult thing to do sometimes and i do get upset on occasion. when i get upset, i stop what i'm doing and go before the Lord and ask forgiveness for acting in an un-Christlike manner and always try to apologize to anyone i may have offended.

i work hard to be honest in my dealings with others and expect others to be honest with me. my wife and i don't have any secrets between us and we are open and honest about everything we are involved in. if i inadvertently wrong someone, i try to make amends as quickly as possible. if someone asks me for help, i make it a point to be there to help them.

now most importantly, when it comes to sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ, i am not ashamed to share it with others. when i see someone, i try to strike up a conversation with them. eventually, i get around to discussing Jesus. most of the time, people say thank you and walk away. i say the same and offer them a blessing. some choose to listen and i will explain to them what being a follower of Jesus Christ is all about. when they have come to a point where they have heard enough, i ask if i can pray for them...most of the time they appreciate it and i do.

another thing, i don't place great value on personal belongings or the things that people of the world do. i'm not interested in being better than the Jone's next door or owning the latest, greatest tech item. i'm not interested in money, other than taking care of the expenses we have. God has provided us all we need and we have a roof over our head, clothes on our backs and food on the table....what more do we really need? the reason is that this life, this place is not my final home....my final home is in the presence of God and Jesus Christ so i gladly state that my heart is where my treasure is and that's in Jesus. i'm also not interested in climbing a social ladder to appear better than others. i'm fine where i am with my wife. and yes, my wife and i do help others in need but i won't discuss that issue...that's between God and us.

one more thing. i know and understand that i will be mocked, ridiculed and insulted for what i believe and i'm fine with it because i identify with Jesus in that regard and i count it all joy. there are Christians in Africa and Asia who are being put to death on account of their faith and i pray my faith will be as strong as theirs if it were to come with that because "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord". He is my final destination and this life is but a vapor but i intend to live it the best i can hopefully help lead people toward Christ. that is my sole objective. even if i lost my home and my family, Jesus is still with me and i with Him. i also try to love others as Christ would want me to. i'm not perfect and never will be in this life but i am certainly giving it a go. sad thing is, people hear that God is love but tune out the holy, just-no respecter of persons, righteous, unchanging, omnipresent, omnipotent, sovereign, God sees all evil and it angers Him, God is referred to as a consuming fire, gracious, and His grace includes His goodness, kindness, mercy, and love. If it were not for God's grace, His holiness would keep us from His presence.

(i got called away by my wife and i forgot two things) my wife and i do not curse or use foul language. but the most important thing to us each day is this: whether we face trials or receive blessings, whether or not we have a good day or a bad one, no matter what happens in our lives, we always give God the glory for everything....each day, every day for He is worthy of all our praise.

ok, i'm tired of typing. does that help? blessings to you and all

Last edited by urbanlemur; 11-24-2018 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity