Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
true, but as you can see, the tone has drifted into nothing more than posting ugly comments. there comes a time when the conversation just escalates into more anger that's generated between both parties and that doesn't serve any useful purpose for anyone involved, participant or reader.
I don't get angry, and frankly, I have not seen many others that actually get angry. What I DO see is people pointing out when false information is presented, or questionable interpretations of supposed "Sacred" writings. What I DO see is many fundamentalists attempting to justify discrimination against gays and lesbians. What I DO see it a subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, attempt at segmenting humans, rather than just accepting that we are all humans, we all have the same rights and obligations, and none of us should be diminished based on our sexual orientation.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:51 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
One of the churches near our home recently got a new pastor. She was interviewed by a local television station and reiterated the policy of their congregation as well as the entire denomination. This is how mainstream Christian Churches do it:
The First Presbyterian Church of South Charleston is an, "Open and Welcoming," congregation, which means we embrace LGBTQ people and perform same sex weddings. Our denomination, The Presbyterian Church (USA) made a statement this year, affirming and celebrating LGBTQ people, and apologizing for all previous statements of exclusion. We recognize that some Christians believe differently. We also claim our beliefs, and welcome all LGBTQ people.
That's how you do it.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:57 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
One of the churches near our home recently got a new pastor. She was interviewed by a local television station and reiterated the policy of their congregation as well as the entire denomination. This is how mainstream Christian Churches do it:
The First Presbyterian Church of South Charleston is an, "Open and Welcoming," congregation, which means we embrace LGBTQ people and perform same sex weddings. Our denomination, The Presbyterian Church (USA) made a statement this year, affirming and celebrating LGBTQ people, and apologizing for all previous statements of exclusion. We recognize that some Christians believe differently. We also claim our beliefs, and welcome all LGBTQ people.
That's how you do it.
It's refreshing to see that formerly-hidebound organizations are capable of spiritual evolution.

Eventually, they will shame the fundie sub-sects into silence, and ultimately, oblivion.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Bigotry and the bullying of gays is a huge concern to some. And virtually all of it stems from those who use their bibles to bludgeon. Fundamentalist Christians are dangerous and their poisonous rot must be neutralized.

Threads like this expose them for the tiny-minded, bigoted bullies they are.

Methinks it makes you uncomfortable because you see yourself. You could always consider no longer reading it.
Trout, you are dead on, as usual. Bigotry and bullying is a HUGE concern to anyone who cares about others. Which speaks volumes about fundies, which seem to not care if it is their fundamentalist brethren doing the bullying, doesn't it?

I can't speak for others, but most of my posts on here are made for lurkers. I am not delusional in thinking that I will change the minds of those who have already given it away.

I am also in the camp of, "If you don't like the thread, don't come back to it."

Old 12-14-2018, 09:21 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's how you do it.
If they are performing same sex weddings in their church then they might as well allow sex orgies there as well. Both are equally offensive to God in His house of worship.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:26 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Sure Jeff... It is "ugliness and venom" to call for gay people to be treated equally. Sure...
I don't run people down and make up offensive lies about them or tell them to go burn in hell because I just can't stand they don't believe like me. That's what your camp does and does it so shamelessly and proud. Truly appalling.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:40 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I don't run people down and make up offensive lies about them or tell them to go burn in hell because I just can't stand they don't believe like me. That's what your camp does and does it so shamelessly and proud. Truly appalling.
so why do you run people down and make up offensive lies about them or tell them to go burn in hell ? because your interpretation of god says you should?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:42 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I don't get angry, and frankly, I have not seen many others that actually get angry. What I DO see is people pointing out when false information is presented, or questionable interpretations of supposed "Sacred" writings. What I DO see is many fundamentalists attempting to justify discrimination against gays and lesbians. What I DO see it a subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, attempt at segmenting humans, rather than just accepting that we are all humans, we all have the same rights and obligations, and none of us should be diminished based on our sexual orientation.
Right On!

Old 12-14-2018, 09:42 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
If they are performing same sex weddings in their church then they might as well allow sex orgies there as well. Both are equally offensive to God in His house of worship.
why didn't Jesus build churches? What is Jesus referring to when he talks about the "house" of god?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
LOL! Another reason to keep the thread alive are the hilarious things jeffie comes up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.