Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2019, 10:09 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,047,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So the instruction for the rape victim to marry her assaulter didn't come from God?
What verse was that? There is no instruction for a rape victim to marry her assaulter.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:19 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,604,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Did you bother to read the post you quoted from me? God never commanded them to take multiple wives, nor did he define marriage as anything other than 1 man, 1 woman. The fact that men simply decided to do it does not mean God told them to.
Oh yes, your god did condone polygamy/concubines. In fact, your god not only endorsed it, your god not only enabled it, your god perpetrated it directly.

Read 2 Samuel 12:8. God 'gives' to David the wives, note the plural, and clearly says, hey, if that is not enough, I would give you more.

Your bible, your god, doing what you say it doesn't.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Oh yes, your god did condone polygamy/concubines. In fact, your god not only endorsed it, your god not only enabled it, your god perpetrated it directly.

Read 2 Samuel 12:8. God 'gives' to David the wives, note the plural, and clearly says, hey, if that is not enough, I would give you more.

Your bible, your god, doing what you say it doesn't.
He allowed it at times. And no--that verse does not suggest that God would give him more wives. The wives are grouped as one collection in a bigger group of things.

If this is the best verse you got to try to make your case, then you should just stop now.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:31 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,610,021 times
Quote:
He allowed it at times. And no--that verse does not suggest that God would give him more wives. The wives are grouped as one collection in a bigger group of things.

If this is the best verse you got to try to make your case, then you should just stop now.
Oh, well if only "allowed" it...... Follow that logic with anything else, and see where that takes you.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:34 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,078 times
Quote:
What verse was that? There is no instruction for a rape victim to marry her assaulter.
Not surprising you reject some translations in the Bible but not others. So in one place speaking about rape, in context it reads like a second situation about rape, the word rape would be the wrong translation. But when a word is translated to young boy rather than man, it must be wrong even when young boy makes sense in context.

But you did claim to be an expert of the language used at the time of the writing of the Old Testament.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Not surprising you reject some translations in the Bible but not others. So in one place speaking about rape, in context it reads like a second situation about rape, the word rape would be the wrong translation. But when a word is translated to young boy rather than man, it must be wrong even when young boy makes sense in context.

But you did claim to be an expert of the language used at the time of the writing of the Old Testament.
It's amazing when you actually read it in context and understand the culture. But I've come to realize I can't expect that of you and the others on here that hate Christianity.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:45 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
It's amazing when you actually read it in context and understand the culture. But I've come to realize I can't expect that of you and the others on here that hate Christianity.
Correction #1,472: Nobody here hates Christians or Christianity.

Many of us are sickened by, and abhor, fundies like you, jeffie, and Finny.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Denominational bashing is alive and well. Those who belong to evangelical denominations are fair game.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:25 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,747,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Correction #1,472: Nobody here hates Christians or Christianity.

Many of us are sickened by, and abhor, fundies like you, jeffie, and Finny.
Your daily verbal diarrhea here is truly sickening. Christians like us love and care about people. You support insulting and running down people.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:31 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,078 times
Quote:
Thanks for informing me that I hate Christainity, I was totally unaware of that. I guess the context of the words hate Christainity means disagree with those who use their religion as a weapon upon others instead of as a tool to help themselves.

I do get tired of folks like yourself why for some reason cannot tolerate people disagreeing with you and then using your religion as a shield so that it is the entire religion rather than your own posts that I must be opposed. It is very dishonest and is clearly a false accusation. A violation of one of the Commandments.

Yes I oppose fundamentalist of all religions. I don't care if you are Christian, Jewish or Muslim, I disagree with the fundamentalists view of a religion. There are many wonderful Christians on these forums. It is rather cowardly for you and several other posters here to hide behind the good Christians in order to post your fundamentalist views.

Besides the stories of the Old Testament are not from Christainity but from Judaism. And you understand the culture of ancient Jews and the much more recent Jews of Christ's time as well? And cannot be questioned even when others who claim the same as you have a different understanding of the verses?

You , Jeff, Finn and others are not Christainity nor do I even hate you. Other Christians can disagree with you and do so. Accusing me of hating your religion is for what resdon, to shut me up? To be able to say whatever you want with no challenge? To feel good? I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.