Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 10:39 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times

Advertisements

My favorite gay Christian

Old 11-29-2015, 11:30 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Bible calls out what sin is. It does not demean people.
Then when my grandfather was using the Bible to say black people should remain separate from whites, he wasn't demeaning anyone--he was, as he said, just observing how the BIBLE pointed out the consequences of the black man's sin.

oh, yeah, I understand what you are saying. It goes back a long, long way.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:34 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Then when my grandfather was using the Bible to say black people should remain separate from whites, he wasn't demeaning anyone--he was, as he said, just observing how the BIBLE pointed out the consequences of the black man's sin.

That your grandfather's problem. The Bible does not mention black and whites and separation.

The Bible does mention homosexuality as something God does not like.

Surely you can tell the difference.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
That your grandfather's problem. The Bible does not mention black and whites and separation.

Yeah, the Bible mentions a lot of other "sins" in Leviticus that fundamentalists ignore. Jut pick out the verse or two that supports their bigotry.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:14 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Your grandfather was hardly alone. I remember those days. The Jim Crow laws were written (and encouraged) by people who held up their Bibles and said things like, "The Word of God says the races should be separate."

Old 11-30-2015, 11:00 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Your grandfather was hardly alone. I remember those days. The Jim Crow laws were written (and encouraged) by people who held up their Bibles and said things like, "The Word of God says the races should be separate."
Eventually, people will look back with similar disgust regarding the way Christians treated gay people as well. Of course there will always be haters. The KKK still exists, as do racists (see comments under any article about Pres. Obama), but the gay-hating Christians will be shoved to the back woods with the Klan, eventually.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Eventually, people will look back with similar disgust regarding the way Christians treated gay people as well. Of course there will always be haters. The KKK still exists, as do racists (see comments under any article about Pres. Obama), but the gay-hating Christians will be shoved to the back woods with the Klan, eventually.
We just have to keep on pushing...

Old 11-30-2015, 11:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:

Seems the fundies have a greater difficulties when it comes to teh TWO GREATEST commandments and they always seem to use the bible to justify HATE, OPPRESSION, and PREJUDICE..

Surely YOU can see the difference between LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and HATING your NEIGHBOR. But WAIT, fundies cannot even agree on WHO their neighbor is...

Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Eventually, people will look back with similar disgust regarding the way Christians treated gay people as well.
Oh, I have no doubt that will happen. (Not just the way Christians treated gay people....but society at large.) Attitudes have changed greatly since the 80's. Another 30 years and we will look back and be astonished at the way the LGBTQ community was treated.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:29 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, I have no doubt that will happen. (Not just the way Christians treated gay people....but society at large.) Attitudes have changed greatly since the 80's. Another 30 years and we will look back and be astonished at the way the LGBTQ community was treated.
How "the world" treats those who do unseemly things is irrelevant.
We do not seek reward from the world, nor its empty accolades.
If a person worships Christ, he or she must sacrifice those urges,
not act upon them, and make effort to eliminate exposure to seeing
them being done. Of course this is difficult in varying degrees to the
one who is afflicted by these temptations, but with Christ, they can
be overcome and are overcome frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity