Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 04:09 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Virgin View Post
Your words are cute... but hardly Biblical.
Why should they be? What does your Bible say Jesus promised us for a guide to be with us forever, a book... or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 04:18 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Actually, thinking is not done in brain. Brain only manifests the final results of thought creation and its exit from the physical body via frontal sinuses.
Thought conception is done in the area of a fourfold human body, roughly related to where a heart is located in the physical body.
This is ancient knowledge and as such, it is present in likely all cultures of the world, if not verbally, then expressed in gestures. How many times have you seen people of various origins placing their hand on heart area, to emphasize something?
Of course, as Conscious Self in human body has to rely on it for its functioning in the physical world, clouding of such body, damage to its organs, brain included, hinders Self's ability to function in the physical and to "think", but it does not mean that brain is primary and thinking is secondary. Thinking is primary and the rest is secondary.
No surprise in Saul's words to me.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:28 PM

52 posts, read 31,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Why should they be? What does your Bible say Jesus promised us for a guide to be with us forever, a book... or something else?

LOL... that is hilarious.
You actually pretend that contradicting the Bible is preaching the Gospel?

FIRST: Her words were "cute"... but they contradicted the Bible.
There is no reason to pretend her "feelings" are a substitute for Scripture.

SECOND: The Bible says that ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration of God
and profitable for "doctrine" and "reproof" and "correction" and "instruction".
If you claim to know otherwise... do tell.

BTW... the "indwelling" that Jesus PROMISED in no way negates a single jot or tittle
from the Word of God. And it is foolish for you to pretend otherwise.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:35 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
I am certain you are a legend in your own mind.

However, you are making a straw-man argument when you pretend that people
are sentenced to eternal torment because they do not believe as I do...
do you not realize that making straw-man arguments proves nothing,
except a lack of honesty.

People do not go to hell for not believing as I do,
instead, they go to hell to pay for their sins.

Really, I've heard so many different reasons for why people go to hell I've lost count. The Calvinists say they go to hell because they were predestined to go there. It had nothing to do with their sins.

The Arminianists say it has nothing to do with paying for sins. Jesus paid every last penalty due our sins by his death on the cross. People go to hell for refusing to believe i.e. have faith in Jesus.

The universalists say we're all going to heaven some day, even Paul said this "God will have ALL men be saved" 2 Timothy

Others say God merely obliterates us "They will be as if they never existed".

Jesus himself said we go to hell, not for committing sins, but for not helping our fellow man. "And these shall go into eternal torment but the righteous into eternal life. " Jesus never mentions sin or faith in him in that parable.

So pick your poison, Virgin lest you also end up in eternal flames with everyone else.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:42 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:

BTW... the "indwelling" that Jesus PROMISED in no way negates a single jot or tittle
God gave us Jesus Christ not the bible. You like all fundies believe in God..so what (so did the scribes and Pharisees)....... Jesus Christ said believe on him and he(not your handed down beliefs about God and the bible) will be your guide. If you need a bible to show you the path of life and peace then Christ is not alive in you.

Am I saying Jesus Christ is not God ?, No, I am saying you cannot retain your handed down beliefs about God and be open to the ministry of Jesus Christ at the same time, I couldn't care less how much you believe in the bible, it does not impress me or God.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:00 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You deliberately deleted the part of the phrase 'being willing to suffer and even go to their deaths' and then accuse me of contradicting myself. I have had it with you and your crap.

Mike, let's be sensible....leaving out "being willing to" didn't change the context. I was just trying to edit for clarity. To be willing to die for your faith is tantamount to actually choosing to die for it, isn't it? So I wasn't committing any great editing crime.

But in typical fashion you completely skipped over my question, which was "What historic texts do you consult to make the bold statement 'The disciples were willing to suffer and die for their faith?' " How do you know it wasn't two or three apostles (which is what the records actually show) and all the other ten apostles and 72 disciples gradually fell away or just got tired of it all after Jesus was crucified and went back to fishing? How do you know? I admit I don't know. Haven't the vaguest clue. But what makes you so sure? What do you base all this on besides your own overheated emotions?

Old 01-11-2016, 05:16 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555
The disciples did not steal Jesus' body and then spend the rest of their lives being willing to suffer and even go to their deaths, which at least some of them did, including Jesus' own brother, James who had not believed that Jesus was the Messiah during His ministry, for what they knew to be a lie. Liars make poor martyrs. Nor would a stolen body explain why Paul, who had persecuted the Christians, suddenly became a believer himself.

You might want to actually read Acts for yourself sometime. In Chapter 12 Herod began to "vex certain of the church." James the brother of John was executed. This is in fact the ONLY mention of any of the apostles being martyred that is to be derived from scripture. Peter is arrested, but escapes, and decides that, discretion being the better part of valor, it was time to go "into another place." Peter later does return to Jerusalem, but the other remaining nine apostles disappear from scripture entirely at this point. No mention in scripture of them being "martyred" is to be found. Chapter 12 of Acts concludes with the death of Herod Agrippa. This occurred at a known date, 44 AD. Jesus was executed circa 27-30 AD. In the 12-15 years prior to Herod beginning to "vex" the church, the sum total of the "persecution" that the apostles underwent amounted to being arrested twice, released both times, and undergoing a beating once. That's it. That's the extent of the horrific persecution that you are claiming that they endured.

Quote:
The idea that the disciples stole the body is one of the proposed naturalistic explanations for the empty tomb which most serious scholars, even agnostic scholars, have never taken seriously. Most scholars who are involved in resurrection studies believe that the disciples had an actual experience of some kind which led them to believe that they had seen the risen Jesus. The question is then, what was that experience? None of the naturalistic explanations work, including the hallucination hypothesis.
Christian scholars have vigorously denied, and even made fun of the possibility that the followers were responsible for the missing corpse of Jesus for the last 2,000 years. This is quite true. Yet here is a synopsis of events, taken directly from the Gospels. Deny the accuracy of any of it if you can.

!.The body of Jesus was given TO HIS DISCIPLES by Pilate, right from the cross.
2.The body of Jesus was taken to Joseph's brand new personal sepulcher to be washed and prepared BECAUSE THE SEPULCHER WAS "NIGH AT HAND" to the place of crucifixion. (John 19:42)
3.The body of Jesus was never described as being physically in any other hands OTHER than his followers.
4.Sometime the next day the chief Jewish priests took possession of Joseph's CLOSED TOMB.
5.The tomb was discovered to be empty the next morning.

This doesn't really take Sherlock Holmes to figure out, does it! If you are still scratching your head however, here is a clue:

Matt.27
64. lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

What happened? The closed tomb DID prove to be empty, and the disciples DID begin spreading the rumor that Jesus had not only "risen" from the dead, but flew off up into the sky and disappeared into the clouds. The only thing incorrect about Matt.27:64 is the fact that the disciples did not have to "steal" the body at all. It was already legally theirs to do with as they chose, given to them by the Roman governor the previous day.

Now if you still have not figured it out, I will spell it out for you. The priests secured an empty tomb, because the disciples had already relocated the body elsewhere. I can even give you a fairly good estimation of where that might have been if you want. You won't like it much either though.

Quote:
But since you regard listening to scholars who are involved in resurrection studies concerning Jesus to be a waste of time, you aren't in a position to offer an informed opinion. All you have are uninformed, subjective feelings on the matter. But the information is there if you change your mind. And if you continue in the mindset that it is a waste of time to listen to what the scholars have to say, then I'll not waste my time trying to convince you.
I believe that I am as qualified to read the Bible as the next guy who is capable of reading. Although I do think for myself which Christians seem to find unrealistic if not downright unnecessary.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:29 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
He was seen by over 500 people after he was roused from the dead. And the apostle Paul met Him on the road to Damascus as well.
If you can provide me with the testimonies of these 500 I will grant you the point. What you will discover however is that there is in fact only ONE ACCOUNT of this "incident," and that was made by Paul who clearly was not personally present to witness what he is claiming to have occurred.

Paul was taken ill during a trip to Damascus. Desperately ill, sick and delirious, and while being treated by A CHRISTIAN MAN, Paul believed after his recovery that he had actually met with Jesus, and as a result became a confirmed Christian. Jesus had been dead for some years at this point, so there is some reason to suppose that what Paul believed he experienced during a time of desperate illness might have been less than physically real and valid. That's the polite way of considering the possible validity of Paul's claim to have met with a dead man.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:41 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:

Her words contradicted YOUR INTERPRETATION of scripture and there is no reason to substitute your perceptions for "the fruit of the spirit."

The Bible says that scripture is "profitable," not authority, and that raises the question: prifitable to whom? How is it used by the guide?

The Indwelling CAN'T negate the Word of God, because Jesus IS that Word. If you don't believe me try reading the first chapter of John substituting "the Bible" wherever you see "The Word" printed.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
The Bible is very clear, within the "Kingdom of Heaven" (within the Christian Kingdom)
there are MANY (unsaved) "tares/goats" and there are relatively FEW (saved) "wheat/sheep".

So... the BIBLE teaches that the vast majority of those calling themselves "Christian"
are really (unsaved) "tares/goats"... and remain a "child of Satan".

And, of course, the BIBLE teaches that everyone OUTSIDE of the "Kingdom of Heaven",
including Jews, Moslems, Buddhists, Hindus, Secular Humanists, Atheists, Pagans, etc...
are already forsaken because they have no hope of salvation without knowing Jesus.

Your words are cute... but hardly Biblical.
You speak as one who is foolish for the tares have grown up with the wheat that resides within you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity