Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
O.K. Getting back to the original question.
Evangelicals - What do you expect a Christian President to do in January besides saying that he or she believes in Jesus Christ?
I would expect him/her to utilize the veto-pen to kill immoral bills. I would also expect him/her to appoint justices whose views are in line with his/her views.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:47 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I would expect him/her to utilize the veto-pen to kill immoral bills. I would also expect him/her to appoint justices whose views are in line with his/her views.
Which previous President has "killed an immoral bill"? Which current candidate will kill an immoral bill? What do you consider to be immoral bills?
EVERY President "has appointed justices whose views are in line with his/her views" - from George Washington on.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Which previous President has "killed an immoral bill"? Which current candidate will kill an immoral bill? What do you consider to be immoral bills?
EVERY President "has appointed justices whose views are in line with his/her views" - from George Washington on.
Bush vetoed a bill relating to embryonic stem cell research. As for the current candidates......none of them impress me.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Based on whose MORALITY? YOURS? Your interpretation of God's supposed morals? Like sleeping with your daughter? Or perhaps killing the husband of your lover of more the moral code we should follow? O may be stoning a cheating wife while hosting a party for the cheating husband?

There are so many GREAT moral examples in the bible, one would be hard pressed to pick just one to follow.

Tell us chapter and verse against stem-cell research?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:05 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times
Quote:
Bush vetoed a bill relating to embryonic stem cell research. As for the current candidates......none of them impress me.
If none of the current candidates impresses you, then why do they HAVE TO be Christian? If one of them - let's say Trump - were an atheist, why would it matter?
Let me ask that another way. What would you expect a candidate, that impresses you, to do?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:21 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
It seems that every Presidential election, Republican candidates want Evangelicals to vote for them. Most of them make a big deal about being a Christian. I understand that politicians want as many people as possible to vote for them so they say what an audience wants to hear.
What do the Evangelicals expect to get by voting for a particular candidate - or is believing in Jesus Christ good enough?
Would electing a Jewish (2016), Muslim, Buddhist, atheist, or even a Mormon (2012) President be the ruination of this country? If so, how?
When a Catholic was elected in 1960, the country didn't fall apart. Why would it fall apart now?

The best I can give you without being overly political is they want to see fruit that backs up his/her claim of being a Christian. We don't know the candidates personally. So we have to judge what we see as to whether or not his/her claim is authentic, at least in part.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:30 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
How about if a candidate was against abortion, same sex marriage, embryonic stem cell research, and was an atheist? Would any of the evangelicals here vote for him? Romney seemed to say the right things but I know of Christians whose pastors said not to vote for him because he was a Mormon which is not a Christian in their eyes.

I still think too many evangelicals want a theocracy. That they will vote for a Christian that doesn't walk the walk before an atheist or non Christian that does.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Based on whose MORALITY? YOURS?
It should be beyond obvious I pick my candidates based on my views, not yours.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
If none of the current candidates impresses you, then why do they HAVE TO be Christian? If one of them - let's say Trump - were an atheist, why would it matter?
Let me ask that another way. What would you expect a candidate, that impresses you, to do?
I already told you what I expect from them. Why do you ask again?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:38 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How about if a candidate was against abortion, same sex marriage, embryonic stem cell research, and was an atheist? Would any of the evangelicals here vote for him? Romney seemed to say the right things but I know of Christians whose pastors said not to vote for him because he was a Mormon which is not a Christian in their eyes.

I still think too many evangelicals want a theocracy. That they will vote for a Christian that doesn't walk the walk before an atheist or non Christian that does.

No one is expecting a theocracy in the US.

We are allowed to vote for people whom we believe most line up with us... even if you or I disagree.

I can't imagine why Christians would choose people who are outright anti-God over someone who at least acknowledges God exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity