Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 10:49 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.

What is the Law if not to continually see Lord( the vision) before you. The psalmist said when he saw the Lord before him, His heart is glad, his tongue rejoices; his body rests secure. Read it yourself Jimmie in your bible Psalm 16 . The perishing is nothing to do with going to hell, but not functioning how God created you too. Happy, glad and secure
Yes, I'm familiar with Psalm 16. Have you read the entire chapter? I think there's some words there you might find objectionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:54 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
A major issue has to be addressed. There appear to be those here on this forum who profess to be Christians, but have no real interest in the Bible. Yet much of what they mention (having Christ in them, being guided by the Holy Spirit, the supreme position of love and God being love...) are things clearly taught in Scripture.

But we need to declare what the authority is on which we base what we understand. We can say that it is Jesus or the Holy Spirit... but there must be a reference source which determines whether or not we have a correct understanding of these things. If we simply go by what we feel or by what appears to make sense to us, we run the risk of becoming our own authority as to what is true, and that can be very dangerous.

God is, indeed, love. And He demonstrated the ultimate expression of love by sending Jesus Christ to be our sin bearer. But the idea of salvation being given to those who have not trusted in Christ's atoning work is not found in the Scriptures.

If we are told to look to the Bible as the authority on which to base all that we are to believe about God, or Christ, or salvation, and how we are to live before God, we are likely not going to be happy. We can observe something along these lines in the passage below:

2 Peter 3:13-16

13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless;

15 and account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation--as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you,

16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

There would likely have to be a thread just to deal with all the references there are in the Bible which teach of these matters being in fulfillment of the Scriptures, or according to the Scriptures... We, by nature, do not want the salvation plan found in the Scriptures. It attacks our pride, and renders us incapable of coming to God through our own efforts. But as God draws us through the hearing of the gospel, faithfully preached, we embrace this beautiful Savior with all of our being as the most precious thing that could ever have been.

And the truth is that if one has truly become saved, and therefore a "new creation" in Christ, his heart's desire is to spread this good news as an ambassador for Christ, so that God will draw yet many more to Christ through the hearing of the gospel. It certainly must not be simply a matter of what I believe vs. what you believe. The only thing that can set us free is the truth. May God be pleased to draw yet many more to Christ through the hearing of His glorious Gospel.
A place of eternal torment or punishment is nowhere taught in the Scriptures.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I know by what you are posting on this forum about the gospel* you believe in.

*It pains me to call what the fundamentalists believe a gospel or good news because it isn't.
Yes, what I believe. You know nothing of my salvation experience. It pains me that you have developed a theology based loosely on the words of Christ.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:02 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes, I'm familiar with Psalm 16. Have you read the entire chapter? I think there's some words there you might find objectionable.
No verses in that psalm move me. You take 1 verse from a psalm that you think it speaks of suffering for those who chase after other God's to show your objection to my post. This is just the epitome from someone who is Sin conscious , 11 verses and the 1 that "appears negative" is what you chose to use.Shaking head in disbelief

Old 07-01-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
No verses in that psalm move me. You take 1 verse from a psalm that you think it speaks of suffering for those who chase after other God's to show your objection to my post. This is just the epitome from someone who is Sin conscious , 11 verses and the 1 that "appears negative" is what you chose to use.Shaking head in disbelief
I'm glad to know you believe Psalm 16.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I'm glad to know you believe Psalm 16.
I understand it more importantly, and tried to get you to understand about perishing, it is not what you accepted it was when you became a Christian.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, what I believe. You know nothing of my salvation experience. It pains me that you have developed a theology based loosely on the words of Christ.
You are now avoiding stating that hell had nothing to do with you becoming a Christian. Let me ask you a simple question, should we fear hell if we reject Jesus Christ?.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I understand it more importantly, and tried to get you to understand about perishing, it is not what you accepted it was when you became a Christian.
You know nothing of my salvation experience.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You know nothing of my salvation experience.
I know by what you post is the way of salvation according to how you interpret the Bible. You are just being silly Jimmie, you know very well that to have faith that eternal hell exists in the mildest form it is depicted, faced with a choice it would have influence, and you know perfectly well what that influence is..... Correct , fear.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You are now avoiding stating that hell had nothing to do with you becoming a Christian. Let me ask you a simple question, should we fear hell if we reject Jesus Christ?.
You know nothing of my salvation experience. Fearing Hell? Read the words of Jesus in Matt. 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity