Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 08:11 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Keeping on the topic of salvation, how should we understand the way in which Jesus is to be regarded as our Savior? What was actually accomplished by Jesus, and why do we actually need Him as our Savior? Perhaps we can have some interaction on this topic. Thanks.
Jesus came to redeem sinners, to pay our ransom, our sin debt.

2 Cor. 5

21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,739 times
Yes amen, the reason Christ came into the world was to save sinners.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

However, that is not to say "all" sinners, not everyone will be saved except those that actually "believe on Him".

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:27 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Eternal, everlasting, for ever and ever:

There are only two places in the New Testament where the word Aidios is used.
Have you ever thought that it is you - who follows the twisted path of theology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Like I said already, the issue is not whether words are or are not used. In the parable of the prodigal son the word "grace" is not used, yet the entire parable is about Gods grace towards us. You are the one that is twisting things because certain words do or do not occur, as if that is what defines whether or not something is true.
You cannot use grace to justify your thought of eternal damnation.
Nowhere, was the prodigal son ever condemned by his father.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Keeping on the topic of salvation, how should we understand the way in which Jesus is to be regarded as our Savior? What was actually accomplished by Jesus, and why do we actually need Him as our Savior? Perhaps we can have some interaction on this topic. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
He lifted the veil of ignorance we viewed God our Father through, and in doing so revealed the true heart of God and his heart towards us.
A huge difference from that of a Penal Substitution to appease a wrathful GOD.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Then who gets thrown into the lake of fire?
Those who need to be cleansed or purged of whatever is impure and undesirable.

1 Corinthians 3:15
If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:00 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
I came across an audio sermon by puritan Anthony Burgess on the difficulty of salvation, while I was listening I couldn't help but thinking about the many on this forum that are deceived in thinking everybody will be saved.

"What are those considerations that make salvation so easy to a man's natural thoughts? The first is, a representation of God altogether pitiful and merciful, without taking notice of his purity and his justice. That he is a God who will not acquit the guilty. This half representation of God to a man's heart makes him thus confident. Men argue, how can we think God who says he willed not the death of a sinner, who says 'Why will ye die o house of Israel', who has put pity into man's hearts? Shall not much more be a fountain when streams are so plentiful? This has been aggravated so much, that it has been an opinion of some that it last all man, ye and devils also shall be saved, but the Scripture speaks of Gods sting aswell as his honey. Of his furiousness aswell as his pity, the Scripture speaks of his rejoicing in the destruction of the wicked, aswell as pitying them. Do not therefore deceive your own soul."

Here is the sermon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CpGDK_e-K0

The question I want to ask you, is salvation really that easy? Is going to heaven an automatic security for everyone? In many places the Scripture speaks on the extreme difficulty of salvation:

Mark 10:23-27 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

1 Peter 4:17-18 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

I am affraid many of us, here on this forum, are walking the broad way Jesus talks about, that leads to destruction.
well to me I think that
"salvation" both on going and it is a future event no one has been too yet.. it is our time now to allow the spirit to plant him in our souls .. to know him hsi law and his kingdom , so that we know he is our salvation and that he has a place for us ... so that he is not just a prayer we made.
and only those who have him in their heart and he and his life is part of them .. will cry out for his salvation when that moment of salvation comes... be it a wall of fire , or the stars falling from the sky, or a big dude with a battle ax lopping off heads . we will cry out to him in our moment of truth and all men will tell the truth in that moment. they will seek to save their own life and to be their own God or they will lose it because they called out to him and were transformed and probably translated in that second of truth / and blink of an eye.

The Word Brings Salvation
…12For there is no difference between Jew and Greek: The same Lord is Lord of all, and is rich to all who call on Him, 13for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

so in a dream I had the stars were falling from the sky, but they were not really stars I don't think. more like plasma balls of pure energy / static electricity maybe. it is really hard to describe . and everyone running and screaming and yelling // as I looked up I asked for the Lords help and one of the falling stars was then headed for me and I cried out and it hit me and it wasn't what I thought it was ..then I found myself in another place.
if that is a true picture and some coming reality , it was resurrection day and salvation is an event where our heart tells HIM the truths to the question "who is your help in times of fear and anxiety?" or " who is your salvation ?" , WHO is your God? "," Who is your champion? " . because the stars were falling from the sky and the ground/ earth looks like a ash heap it was so barren not even a blade of grass remained , I had never seen dirt so barren except for on the moon. I have no idea what the earth had been through before that point but a guarantee everyone's heart will telling the truth that( day/night ? 24 hour period ) time .

salvation isn't just about a prayer but about your souls hero in the darkest moments of your life.
who will call out for him ? the rich man will probably try and buy a safe place first. the drug addict will shoot up , everyone will find their god in those moments of truth.

maybe salvation is about more than a prayer. maybe it is about knowing him who is your salvation( Jesus name means salvation) is !

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 07-03-2017 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You are in denial Jimmie if you are trying to suggest that the thought of being in a hell eternally being tormented, did not cause you to be fearful and also play a big part in you believing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
You are not qualified to JUDGE anyone's motives.
He isn't, if memory serves me, which it does!

It was jimmiej in various threads who has made the claim that he was, or is fearful.

(BTW - there is no shame it that - people for the most part - fear death)

Old 07-03-2017, 10:11 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:

It was jimmiej in various threads that has made the claim that he was, or is fearful.
LOL! I never said that! You are lying! Those "in Christ" have no reason to fear. Those who reject Christ DO have reason to fear, for "Our God is a consuming fire!"

Old 07-03-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:

It was jimmiej in various threads who has made the claim that he was, or is fearful.

(BTW - there is no shame it that - people for the most part - fear death)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
LOL! I never said that! You are lying! Those "in Christ" have no reason to fear. Those who reject Christ DO have reason to fear, for "Our God is a consuming fire!"
I never lie, even your statement herein confirms that you dealt with fear, and still do.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:23 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
There was a time when you did not believe and was presented with the message that if you do not trust Jesus Christ, eternal hell waits for you. You are trying to make out that eternal hell at that point before you trusted Jesus Christ did not cause a measure of fear and played some part in you believing in Jesus Christ. Fundamentalists for the best part believe there is no point in believing in Jesus Christ if eternal hell did not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity