Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 01:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You are adding to faith, commitment to change the way you live as a requirement for salvation. Again, you have stated that ''If you don't see the need to change or live a Better Way, you don't believe in Christ.'' And that simply is not true.
Once again about faith in Christ: Jesus embodied the Way and it is not possible to have faith in Him without believing in that Way. I am not adding to faith, YOU are subtracting from it for your own purpose, in spite of what Jesus taught about it, but thank you for the tacit admission that a change of purpose is NOT a "work of merit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 02:01 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
A person will not see a need to come to Christ for salvation if he doesn't realize that he is in need of salvation. But a person need only believe that Christ died for his sins in order to be saved. There is no requirement to 'change your ways' in order to receive the gift of eternal life. You either believe the Bible or you don't.
You confuse FAITH that we are saved by Jesus which ONLY requires that we believe that He did what He said He did with belief in your "precepts and doctrines of men."

Old 05-30-2018, 02:17 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You confuse FAITH that we are saved by Jesus which ONLY requires that we believe that He did what He said He did with belief in your "precepts and doctrines of men."
No, you distorter of the gospel message, I do not. The Scriptures clearly state that you must believe in Christ in order to be saved. No one, absolutely no one is automatically saved because of the cross. You reject what the Biblical writers wrote in favor of your own made up beliefs.

And don't talk to me about precepts and doctrines of men when that thread of yours on the religion forum reeks of your own beliefs about God which are contrary to the Bible's statements about Him.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:07 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Quote:
No, you distorter of the gospel message, I do not. The Scriptures clearly state that you must believe in Christ in order to be saved. No one, absolutely no one is automatically saved because of the cross. You reject what the Biblical writers wrote in favor of your own made up beliefs.
And don't talk to me about precepts and doctrines of men when that thread of yours on the religion forum reeks of your own beliefs about God which are contrary to the Bible's statements about Him.
All the divisions and dissension among the followers of Christ result from the imposition of the requirement to believe whatever "precepts and doctrines of men" each of the religions demand. These are the true distorters of the Gospel message (Good News) that should be simply a Faith that Jesus did what He says He did. Unfortunately, that kind of Faith in Jesus does NOT promote any particular religion which is unacceptable to the men who formed and promote those religions.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
All the divisions and dissension among the followers of Christ result from the imposition of the requirement to believe whatever "precepts and doctrines of men" each of the religions demand. These are the true distorters of the Gospel message (Good News) that should be simply a Faith that Jesus did what He says He did. Unfortunately, that kind of Faith in Jesus does NOT promote any particular religion which is unacceptable to the men who formed and promote those religions.
You reject what the apostles taught who unlike you actually did have an encounter with Jesus, in favor of your own beliefs. The Bible is clear that in order to be saved you must believe in Christ. And that remains a fact no matter how much you deny it.

Last edited by Michael Way; 05-30-2018 at 03:28 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 03:19 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:

Amen, Mike

So much heresy in this place! Satan is doing a bang up job here!

Yet one day they'll see the truth of these very words!! I pray some will wake up and realize Jesus isn't lying!

Luke 13
[22] And he [Jesus] went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem.
[23] Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
[24] Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
[25] When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
[26] Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
[27] But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
[28] There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
[29] And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.[/quote]

Old 05-30-2018, 03:21 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
You reject what the apostles taught who unlike you actually did have an encounter with Jesus, in favor of your own beliefs.

I suspect that your philosophy is that if you tell a bold enough lie and repeat it often enough people will start to believe you.

The Bible is clear that in order to be saved you must believe in Christ. And that remains a fact no matter how much you deny it.
Believe without an encounter? Whose to say Mystic, or anyone else that claims to have had an encounter, has not? I had an encounter but I can answer it using what we already know about how our minds work so I don't say it was an encounter with Jesus. If I did believe in Jesus that is exactly what I would call it and at the time I did and that's why it worked so well on me. People who claim to have had encounters with Jesus can be questioned and answer in real time. These accounts from thousands of years ago can't be questioned.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Believe without an encounter? Whose to say Mystic, or anyone else that claims to have had an encounter, has not? I had an encounter but I can answer it using what we already know about how our minds work so I don't say it was an encounter with Jesus. If I did believe in Jesus that is exactly what I would call it and at the time I did and that's why it worked so well on me. People who claim to have had encounters with Jesus can be questioned and answer in real time. These accounts from thousands of years ago can't be questioned.
I say it based on the fact that he rejects what the Biblical writers who did have an encounter with Christ wrote. The false gospel that he proclaims is contrary to that which the Bible teaches.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:32 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
I say it based on the fact that he rejects what the Biblical writers who did have an encounter with Christ wrote. The false gospel that he proclaims is contrary to that which the Bible teaches.
Have you had an encounter? Do you believe such encounters are possible? Do you think you'd recognize the genuine article? Is there a genuine article? I'm not talking about Mystic either because I agree with the viewpoint that he doesn't practice what he preached (sorry Mystic but that's how I see it)

Old 05-30-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Have you had an encounter? Do you believe such encounters are possible? Do you think you'd recognize the genuine article? Is there a genuine article? I'm not talking about Mystic either because I agree with the viewpoint that he doesn't practice what he preached (sorry Mystic but that's how I see it)
Jesus isn't making personal encounters with people today, appearing to them in states of meditation. That includes me. And He certainly wouldn't appear to one person and tell that person that everyone is saved while appearing to someone else and telling that person something entirely different, or telling them something which is contrary to what the apostles wrote. The standard of truth concerning the issue of salvation is what the apostles wrote. After all, it was they who were personally taught by Jesus during His earthly ministry, and who were promised by Jesus to be led to all the truth by the Holy Spirit.

Even a person who doesn't believe in any of the claims of Christianity, or any of what the Bible says, should be able to understand that since the Bible makes certain claims about what is necessary for salvation, then anyone who makes claims contrary to what the Bible says is simply disregarding what the apostles said in favor of their own personal opinions. And that leads to subjective opinions rather than than trusting the objective statements of the apostles. It comes down to whether or not a person believes what was recorded in the Bible.

You ask if there's a genuine article which I assume you to be asking if Jesus is who He claimed to be. I believe so based on the historical evidence and testimony of the apostles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity