Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 09:24 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Bible is the word of God and there is one New Testament book which specifically states that God is its author. That book is the book of Revelation which at the very beginning states that God (the Father) gave the Revelation to Jesus who in turn revealed it to John who was commanded to write what he saw.

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, 2] who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. . . .10] I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, 11] saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea."

The book of Revelation is the word of God. And so are the other New Testament books. I already showed in an earlier post on this thread that the apostles believed that what they taught was not the word of men, but the word of God. Paul stated this in 1 Thessalonians 2:13.

These people who claim to be Christian but deny that the Bible is the word of God cannot honestly say that the book of Revelation doesn't clearly say that God gave the Revelation to Jesus who communicated it to John, who was told to write in a book what he saw, which makes it the word of God. If they claim it doesn't say that, they are lying. If they admit that it says that but that they don't believe it, well then, what does that tell you about them?
You've proven that the Bible isn't the Word of God by ignoring the very words of Jesus who warned you to not call any person a fool.

You did that--and then refused to apologize for it.

That's enough for anyone to ignore ANYTHING you have to say regarding "God's Word."

You have no respect for it in your personal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
No book of the New Testament was included in the canon because of a vote by any council. ...( a vebose apology as to WHY the council voted for the books...)

And your comment - ''Hopefully one day you will encounter the "Advocate" and realize that there is no good reason to doubt the efficacy of that guidance.'' conveys your judgmental opinion that those who don't agree with you don't have the Holy Spirit.

There are disagreements even among the best of theologians who are good men of God. Having the Holy Spirit does not guarantee agreement. And the Holy Spirit's guidance is based on the believer's knowledge of Bible doctrine. Not on subjective feelings.

The book of Revelation was stated by John to be the word of God. And so it is.
I have given the basis for determining the guidance of the Spirit and if a person's posts don't demonstrate it I can only make one assumption.

The biggest part of the theological disagreements are about things we have no need nor business to determine. As for the rest, I noted that it is easy to determine who is open to the Spirit and who comes with an agenda when that concern of the Spirit is discussed. You will NEVER see council determinations described as "Spirit guided because...."

Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Man is not capable of agape love because man is carnal. Carnals are not capable of agape love, but they can use the term/notion to trojan horse in other desires.
Man may not be capable of PERFECT love, but certainly is capable of having that concern that IS the basis of "agape." Ask me how I know.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:31 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Man may not be capable of PERFECT love, but certainly is capable of having that concern that IS the basis of it. Ask me how I know.
Concern is not the basis for agape love...if it was, a fundamentalist would be considered the epitomy of agape love.

Carnal is concerned with carnal.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Concern is not the basis for agape love...if it was, a fundamentalist would be considered the epitomy of agape love.

Carnal is concerned with carnal.
Then you have some definition of "agape" I don't share and we are talking past each other. Ok. One question though, if we are not capable of it why are we urged to have it so many times and ways?

Old 08-20-2018, 09:48 AM

Default The Two Chairs

It's time to repeat the Tale of Two Chairs, at least for the benefit of someone's mommy.

There are really TWO broad views of how God responds to mankind Sophiesmommy. You have chosen the same on I grew up believing, but have now discarded along with fundamentalism.

Watch the video carefully. The speaker accurately describes both views. But it is YOU who must decide which one looks more like Jesus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWLcQAsgHs

Who is the speaker?
Quote:
Timothy Bruce Cavey (born February 21, 1965), known as Bruxy Cavey, is a Canadian pastor and author. He is the teaching pastor at The Meeting House, one of Canada's largest churches. He is also the author of The End of Religion and "(re)union". Cavey is often a guest professor teaching university level courses around North America, particularly Tyndale University College and Seminary, Messiah College, and Fresno Pacific University Biblical Seminary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruxy_Cavey

Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You've proven that the Bible isn't the Word of God by ignoring the very words of Jesus who warned you to not call any person a fool.

You did that--and then refused to apologize for it.

That's enough for anyone to ignore ANYTHING you have to say regarding "God's Word."

You have no respect for it in your personal life.
Even the scholar you look up to, Peter Enns, agrees that the Bible is the word of God.
''Is the fact of diversity fundamentally contrary to the Bible being the word of God? My answer is no. And the way in which we can begin to address this is issue is to confess at the outset along with the historic Christian church, that the Bible is the word of God.''

''Moreover, inasmuch as Scripture is the word of God, I would expect multiple layers of meaning insofar as no one person, school, or tradition can exhaust the depth of God's word.''

''How do we incorporate certain data with full integrity without sacrificing the truth that the Bible is God's book for his people?''

''Inspiration and Incarnation puts forward a less problematic model of Scripture while also encouraging faith that the Bible is God's word.''

''Paul's midrashic hermeneutic is firmly at home in Second Temple Judism (rather than modern evangelical hermeneutics ), and Paul's letters are God's word . . .''

Inspiration and Incarnation, Peter Enns, pp.96, 151, 157, 173, 175
So stop being a judgmental fool. On the other hand, be a judgmental fool. That's really your problem. No one else's.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
If it IS garbage it should be dismissed. In NO case would I expect anyone to think it is authoritative.
He is not sharing what it is, so we'll never know.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:58 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Then you have some definition of "agape" I don't share and we are talking past each other. Ok. One question though, if we are not capable of it why are we urged to have it so many times and ways?
Where is agape love listed in the text?

Old 08-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Even the scholar you look up to, Peter Enns, agrees that the Bible is the word of God.
''Is the fact of diversity fundamentally contrary to the Bible being the word of God? My answer is no. And the way in which we can begin to address this is issue is to confess at the outset along with the historic Christian church, that the Bible is the word of God.''

''Moreover, inasmuch as Scripture is the word of God, I would expect multiple layers of meaning insofar as no one person, school, or tradition can exhaust the depth of God's word.''

''How do we incorporate certain data with full integrity without sacrificing the truth that the Bible is God's book for his people?''

''Inspiration and Incarnation puts forward a less problematic model of Scripture while also encouraging faith that the Bible is God's word.''

''Paul's midrashic hermeneutic is firmly at home in Second Temple Judism (rather than modern evangelical hermeneutics ), and Paul's letters are God's word . . .''

Inspiration and Incarnation, Peter Enns, pp.96, 151, 157, 173, 175
So stop being a judgmental fool.
You have no respect for the words of Jesus. Period.

You've done it again, proving your own paganism in worshipping the Bible while denying its message.
Quote:
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be subject to the fire of hell.
You may love your Bible but you don't follow His commandments.

You speak of Peter Enns. Read his latest book, The Sin of Certainty where he rebukes those of your ilk for being so certain they miss the truth altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity