Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:35 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
God is defined by love, which is the most fruitful branch of any tree. Love is what produces faithfulness and inspires growth. It gives humanity the reason for hope and nurtures those around us. What we can see from reading the Scriptures is that He wants more fruit from us, not bigger branches.
Beautiful, Jer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 08:52 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And G-d had told them to be fruitful and multiply while they were still in Gan Eden...
Yes. “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

But the argument here is that it means something entirely different, and if you don't agree then you are immature.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
I am not held in bondage to your perceptions or the perceptions of others.
But I do find the ignorance of today more alarming than that of yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Is it so hard to give a straight answer to a simple question

Its like asking someone for the time, and getting a reply "the earth is round".

Finally you admitted you are not answering out of fear of being entrapped. Are you kidding me?

Fine. Hide. Don't answer.

The verse in question refers to the fruit of the womb. What I find strange is people who regard OT as writings of ignorant savages are suddenly taking genesis for Gospel. Make up your minds folks.
I have no fear, Mr. Jarber, and it is highly unlikely that you could ever entrap me with your manipulations or twisting what others are actually saying. Chrsitianism would be a dead religion, if there were no fruitful believers; adding to their numbers daily. And we are not talking about lording it over others or dominating mankind with a particular belief system.

Quote:
Those like Mr. Jarber take everything literally, which doesn't leave room for growth and maturity.
Quote:
Sure, be creative and invent a whole new meaning to replace the obvious

“Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” = The Cleveland Browns will defeat the New York Jets on Thursday.
I do not see your beliefs as being fruitful, neither are they filling the earth anymore than the Westboro Baptist Church. And I do not believe we need breeding instructions, neither is it merely about the human population growth. Nothing there that says, "be like rabbits and fill the earth." Why fundamentalists are so focused on sex is beyond me.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I do not see your beliefs as being fruitful, neither are they filling the earth anymore than the Westboro Baptist Church.
Sure. Same to you

Well, actually I don't even know what your views are since you'll never, ever answer questions asking to clarify them. Safe to say they can't fill the earth if they are kept a secret. We did learn that you rely heavily on the OT for spiritual teachings.

Quote:
And I do not believe we need breeding instructions, neither is it merely about the human population growth.
We don't need the instructions regarding the fruit of the womb, but then again God was speaking to Adam and Eve.

Jesus, in the other hand, spoke about spiritual fruits.

Context matters

Quote:
Nothing there that says, "be like rabbits and fill the earth." Why fundamentalists are so focused on sex is beyond me.
You brought up the verse, not me Focused some?

Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-22-2018 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 01:15 PM

Thou shall breed only for procreation, child bearing.
Thee and thy wife shall abstain from every pleasure.

Be thou unfruitful (i.e., unloving) and fill the earth.

Thou shall not have a vasectomy.
Thou shall not have a tubal ligation.
Thou shall not take birth control measures.
Thy wife shall continuously be pregnant.
Thou shall not have protected sex/intercourse.

I'm just not seeing these things!

Old 09-22-2018, 01:20 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, what happens when we have overdone the "multiplying?"
Eat the fruit.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
I am sure humanity was not told to be "unfruitful" and fill the earth.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Sure. Same to you

Well, actually I don't even know what your views are since you'll never, ever answer questions asking to clarify them. Safe to say they can't fill the earth if they are kept a secret. We did learn that you rely heavily on the OT for spiritual teachings.
If you read everything that I have posted on this forum, then you would know what I believe. And, no, I do not rely on the Old Testament, nor the New Testament for that matter. But I do find them useful in aiding our spiritual growth and maturity.

Quote:
We don't need the instructions regarding the fruit of the womb, but then again God was speaking to Adam and Eve.
Apparently, you believe that Adam and Eve were the only two human beings on this planet, and the majority were drowned in a worldwide flood in Noah's day? Do you see humanity as being fruitful, if so, why were the majority drowned according to Christianism?

Genesis 6:5
And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that everything he imagined was evil.

In other words, he did not have an unadulterated thought, one of purity and fruitfulness that edifies.

Last edited by Jerwade; 09-22-2018 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Apparently, you believe that Adam and Eve were the only two human beings on this planet, and the majority were drown in a world wide flood in Noah's day? Do you see humanity as being fruitful, if so, why were the majority drowned according to Christianism?

Genesis 6:5
And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that everything he imagined was evil.

In other words, he did not have an unadulterated thought, one of purity and fruitfulness that edifies.
Noah built the ark about 1600 years after Gen 1, so a lot had happened since the fall of man.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Noah built the ark about 1600 years after Gen 1, so a lot had happened since the fall of man.
Indeed, they were not productive and their fruit-withered to almost nothing.
Apparently, everything comes down to the choices we make, right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity