Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 06:46 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
unfortunately judging by extension is usually on point...
Where as it was once considered pre- judging, or subjecting the whole to a % percentage....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 AM

1,382 posts, read 768,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm not angry. I'm just pointing out a serious fallacy, one that is counter to Christ's teachings and actually interferes in building Christ's kingdom on earth. Here is precisely what Christ said:

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Note the use of the word 'secret.' In other words, pray where and when other people cannot see you. I don't know how this can be such a difficult concept for you.

As for the other, I did misunderstand this statement: "I imagine that takes place in larger communities. I was a public school band director in 4 small communities in my state over a 30 year teaching career. All of them had prayer before Friday night football games."

Nevertheless, whether you required it or the school board, it remained a mandatory prayer, chiefly because it was mandated as part of the game. If you guys wanted to have a prayer at the flagpole before the game, no problem. I mean, did members of your band get to excuse themselves and sit in the parking lot until the prayer was finished? Or were they required to sit in the bleachers until the final 'Amen.'

In other words, the minute you blast prayers over the loudspeakers before kickoff, you are no better than the muzzein calling the faithful to prayers to Allah.

One is to give thanks to God for their blessings. I think the followers of Allah have little to be thankful for, and look forward to blowing themselves up for their salvation and reward. On the other hand, those who live in the country side, apart from the violence of the cities, they apparently have much to be thankful for in the most part, and don't feel suicide or killing of babies is the way of saving the earth.

New American Standard Bible Jeremiah 30:19
'From them will proceed thanksgiving And the voice of those who celebrate; And I will multiply them and they will not be diminished; I will also honor them and they will not be insignificant.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
unfortunately judging by extension is usually on point...
It is.

Christians are told to "avoid the appearance of evil"

By extension, avoid the appearance of FANATSISM

Appearances do count. We are human beings and we form opinions by what we see. Perceptions are important. Many Fundamentalist lack manners. Plain and simple.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is.

Christians are told to "avoid the appearance of evil"

By extension, avoid the appearance of FANATSISM

Appearances do count. We are human beings and we form opinions by what we see. Perceptions are important. Many Fundamentalist lack manners. Plain and simple.
Pre- judging others by a percentage is pretty sad in this day and time, but people who do so are usually predispose to do so in the first place... so, it's really no loss.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Pre- judging others by a percentage is pretty sad in this day and time, but people who do so are usually predispose to do so in the first place... so, it's really no loss.
Judging fundies is easy and rarely wrong.

They treat women and the LGBT as 2nd-class citizens. All the proof you need is the average Sunday service. A woman won't be officiating. Gay couples won't be in attendance.

Men will talk. Women and children will sit down and shut up. Gays will be up the street at the Episcopalian church with other decent, fair-minded followers of Jesus.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Judging fundies is easy and rarely wrong.

They treat women and the LGBT as 2nd-class citizens. All the proof you need is the average Sunday service. A woman won't be officiating. Gay couples won't be in attendance.

Men will talk. Women and children will sit down and shut up. Gays will be up the street at the Episcopalian church with other decent, fair-minded followers of Jesus.
Pre-judging anyone is wrong, and as long as this notion is given any exemptions there will always be bloody attacks on people/worship centers.

If members of any community ever feel discriminated against they should involve the courts. Furthermore, if members of your community are displeased with the manner in which some people worship you should sue to get whatever it is you desire.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Pre-judging anyone is wrong, and as long as this notion is given any exemptions there will always be bloody attacks on people/worship centers.

If members of any community ever feel discriminated against they should involve the courts. Furthermore, if members of your community are displeased with the manner in which some people worship you should sue to get whatever it is you desire.
Pre-judging without evidence is wrong.

I have plenty of evidence that fundies are guilty of being narrow-minded, hurtful bigots.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Pre-judging without evidence is wrong.

I have plenty of evidence that fundies are guilty of being narrow-minded, hurtful bigots.
Hurt people hurt people.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Hurt people hurt people.

Bullies hurt people. And if they go unchallenged, they will continue to do so.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Bullies hurt people. And if they go unchallenged, they will continue to do so.
That's what the court systems are there for. Some people may not realize their unwillingness to engage in certain activities and/or circles is considered bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity