Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,362,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Yes, thats a band aid, but sure. I am looking into that since I love dogs
A d9g may be a great idea. If you get a outgoing non aggressive looking dog like a Brittany or Springer Spaniel you can easily strike up conversations when you are walking it, at the dog oark, at pet stores , obedience or agility classes and so forth. And you just may find a woman through the dogs,

I know couples who have met through dogs, photography clubs, motorcycles and so forth. My niece met her boyfriend through a common interest in horses though they both love and own dogs as well as a horse each.
Extend your interests and make more friends, someone from your activities or a friend of a new friend may turn into a close friend , a girlfriend and perhaps a wife. You need to make friends with some women. A wife who isn't also your best friend may not be the best idea.

I wish you well, will not offer any advise in regards to praying for a wife as I am a non believer however having been together with my wife, my love, my best friend for almost 45 years I do hope that you and others succeed in experiencing a lifetime mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 PM

32,533 posts, read 22,179,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think saying "Maybe God wants you to be alone" is a very nice thing to say. It's dismissive of the person's feelings who wants to be in a relationship. It's especially not a very nice thing to say when the person saying it has a spouse/relationship themselves.

Same with people who say "Maybe God doesn't want you to have children" to people who cannot have them.

That way of thinking would be one of the fastest ways to make me say "well then, the heck with God."

If there's a God and God is what God is said to be, God will understand the person's loneliness and have more compassion than the coldness evident in such thoughtless remarks.
Then there’s the guys who say that G-d has the perfect wife already picked out for them, they just have to wait and be patient until G-d says, ‘this is the one’...And out of all the guys I’ve known that have believed and said this, not one of their women were unattractive...And when I point out an unattractive woman, they say, ‘oh, no, G-d doesn’t want me to have that one!’, and I’d say, ‘How do you know that that’s not the one?’...I say it’s all shallowness...What’s in a person’s heart is what makes them beautiful on the outside...

Old 06-11-2019, 11:12 PM

64,133 posts, read 40,458,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Then there’s the guys who say that G-d has the perfect wife already picked out for them, they just have to wait and be patient until G-d says, ‘this is the one’...And out of all the guys I’ve known that have believed and said this, not one of their women were unattractive...And when I point out an unattractive woman, they say, ‘oh, no, G-d doesn’t want me to have that one!’, and I’d say, ‘How do you know that that’s not the one?’...I say it’s all shallowness...What’s in a person’s heart is what makes them beautiful on the outside...
Physical attractiveness and sexuality is the dominant selection criterion used in mate selection but it is the least reliable method and has a built-in expiration. Someone said it elsewhere that finding a best friend is the best method because it will be based on factors that age well. My wife and I courted for 6 years without exclusivity or commitment until we were sure we wanted to be together and build a life. We have been married 56 years and counting for a total of 62 years as close friends.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 AM

32,533 posts, read 22,179,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Physical attractiveness and sexuality is the dominant selection criterion used in mate selection but it is the least reliable method and has a built-in expiration. Someone said it elsewhere that finding a best friend is the best method because it will be based on factors that age well. My wife and I courted for 6 years without exclusivity or commitment until we were sure we wanted to be together and build a life. We have been married 56 years and counting for a total of 62 years as close friends.
That’s good...

Old 06-12-2019, 04:33 AM

10,523 posts, read 7,144,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I believe that prayers are answered, but not always in the way that we want.

If I were you, I wouldn't pray for a wife. I would pray to make myself the person I need to be to become a good husband and to recognize the right person when she comes along.

This.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:54 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,861,237 times
Quote:
This is absolutely insane. I'm going to cook dinner, dance, and make margaritas for a bunch of women I meet out and about??? Makes no sense, nor is it practical.
Hannibal presented such a very simple plan. Just invite 6-7 women to your house, serve them some margaritas, and then pick the best one to be your wife.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:02 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,817,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hannibal presented such a very simple plan. Just invite 6-7 women to your house, serve them some margaritas, and then pick the best one to be your wife.
So simple, yes.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:12 AM

10,523 posts, read 7,144,360 times
"To be loved you must first be lovable." Ovid.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:52 AM

622 posts, read 399,086 times
Quote:
Well, you don't know my history here. I have not been "sleeping", but I am tired of going out all the time making the effort. Its not easy going out alone and foprcing yourself to socialize, at least as a shy introvert. Thats not an excuse, since I do it anyway, but I'm sure it holds me back. I've done many things like join a church, attend meetups, take comedy classes, and I'm not only going to be in a mens group, but also 1 or maybe 2 co-ed groups, though all are church related. I also joined a country club, despite not feeling like I'm a "country club" kind of guy. Jury is out on that one. But yeah, I've tried many things, some of which I'm forgetting at the moment.
My first thought after reading this post of yours was to question your motive for attending church. But then I thought perhaps God is using your desire for a wife to lead you to Him. I sure won’t question His methods. If you don’t know God yet, I hope you get to know Him real soon. He’s pretty awesome!

I think your church leader meant well as do many here on this forum, but none are infallible. Sift through the advice given and take what you will from it. Definitely pray. There isn't anything you can tell God that He doesn't already know, but He is our loving Father and wants to hear from us. He isn't Santa Claus though. Don't just list what you want and expect to find it under your tree the next morning. Not gonna happen!

I believe God gave us free will and we are all (positively and negatively) affected by the choices we make and the choices others make. If you agree, then pray for the power of discernment to make wise choices. This is doubly important when choosing a spouse because God does not condone divorce except in the most extreme cases. You said your wife left you and remarried. Reconcilliation seems unlikely then. I think you have God's blessing to pursue another spouse. Others may think otherwise. It really doesn't matter what any of us thinks though. This is between you and God.

As for finding a wife...I suggest you broaden your search for friends of both genders and all ages. The best way to make a friends is to be a friend. Help others any way you can every chance you can. Walk around your neighborhood and get to know your neighbors. Walking a dog makes this a lot easier to do. Observe neighbors that may be in need of assistance to mow a lawn, climb a ladder to clean out the spouting, shovel snow, change a tire, etc. Talk to the people at church to see where you may be of assistance. Perhaps some opportunities will arise at work too. The people you help will appreciate you and want to help you in return. They could very well be the gateway for meeting your new spouse so be open to all invitations. And remember...choose wisely! If nothing else, you will have made some new friends in the process. Friends are important too.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:54 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,627,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ree View Post
My first thought after reading this post of yours was to question your motive for attending church. But then I thought perhaps God is using your desire for a wife to lead you to Him. I sure won’t question His methods. If you don’t know God yet, I hope you get to know Him real soon. He’s pretty awesome!
It’s like a carrot on a stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity