Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:29 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,804,955 times

Advertisements

I just joined a men's small group and last night we were talking about praying and if we've ever heard God's voice. I personally don't believe prayer works because it has never worked for me. However, at this point, willing to keep trying. So the leader of the group knows I want a wife and told me to write out a very specific prayer about what I want. Thing is, he said something like "a prayerful wife" and it really turned me off and I thought, "well, that doesn't resonate with me". Would love to hear ideas/suggestions on examples of how I could do this and opinions on if it could possibly (I know, nobody knows) work. Maybe I need to have a lot more faith that it will work and then it will. I'm just kind of lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 07:32 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,258,627 times
I believe that prayers are answered, but not always in the way that we want.

If I were you, I wouldn't pray for a wife. I would pray to make myself the person I need to be to become a good husband and to recognize the right person when she comes along.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,630,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I just joined a men's small group and last night we were talking about praying and if we've ever heard God's voice. I personally don't believe prayer works because it has never worked for me. However, at this point, willing to keep trying. So the leader of the group knows I want a wife and told me to write out a very specific prayer about what I want. Thing is, he said something like "a prayerful wife" and it really turned me off and I thought, "well, that doesn't resonate with me". Would love to hear ideas/suggestions on examples of how I could do this and opinions on if it could possibly (I know, nobody knows) work. Maybe I need to have a lot more faith that it will work and then it will. I'm just kind of lost.

Stop praying for a wife. Men's groups? How about joining a group with women. Join a group that is not affiliated with your church.

How about looking for and opening yourself to making friends with women. Do not depend on men to tell you about women, or how to pray for them.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I believe that prayers are answered, but not always in the way that we want.

If I were you, I wouldn't pray for a wife. I would pray to make myself the person I need to be to become a good husband and to recognize the right person when she comes along.
Well, thats a part of what I'm doing already and have been for years. The reason the leader said this is because he knows thats the biggest thing I want (for the past 8 years or so) and that I've also been working on becoming a better person consistently for years.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Stop praying for a wife. Men's groups? How about joining a group with women. Join a group that is not affiliated with your church.

How about looking for and opening yourself to making friends with women. Do not depend on men to tell you about women, or how to pray for them.
Good advice, except I haven't found a co-ed group to join. Long story, but I live in a city I'm not from that is very cliquish. I've lived here for 6 years and its been a 6 year struggle. That said, I've looked very hard for those types of groups and found a couple through meetup.com, but weren't the right ones for me.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:04 AM

1,382 posts, read 771,162 times
Quote:
I think Isaiah 59:2 addresses your predicament. God does not hear the prayer of sinners. In Isaiah 59:2, we see that sin separates man from God. “But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.” On the other hand, sinners are the sons of the devil, and their prayers may fall upon uncaring ears.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:11 AM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
I think Isaiah 59:2 addresses your predicament. God does not hear the prayer of sinners. In Isaiah 59:2, we see that sin separates man from God. “But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.” On the other hand, sinners are the sons of the devil, and their prayers may fall upon uncaring ears.
Not helpful.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:13 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,765,506 times
Quote:
Ask God to teach you patience, and He'll probably give you a wife

Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Listen, this doesn't necessarily fall under Christianity, and I'd personally like to smack the person who decided what type of wife you "should" pray for (as you can see, I'm not a very good Christian, lol), but I've known you from around the forum for a while and I know your back story.

Gonna send you a DM because I find your post interesting from my own perspective and experience.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Wow, if thats the case, God wouldn't answer anyone's prayers because we're all sinners. Yeah, not at all helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity