Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,580,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
Because it contradicts what else is said in the book, with what you have said previously.
Which part, please?

Old 12-19-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
I would call them non-Christian.
What do you think qualifies a religion to call themselves 'Christian'?

Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM

706 posts, read 1,242,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
Which part, please?
Well I mentioned how the JW's I have known believe that their religion is the only true religion and only they will surive Armageddon.---- Then you said that is not so and that many people who are not JW's would survive Armageddon---That is why I asked you if you personally are a Universalist.

This book seem to point clearly that JW's are the true religion, and only they will survive Armageddon. Either this book is wrong or you are not as well versed in your religion as you think.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
What do you think qualifies a religion to call themselves 'Christian'?
1. Belief in God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirt

2. Belief that Jesus Christ was fully human and fully divine

3. Belief that Jesus was crucified, died, and buried.

4. Belief that Jesus rose again from the dead.

5. Belief that forgiveness of sins and salvation is accomplished through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

6. Belief that the Bible is the normative rule and guide of faith.

7. Belief in the church as the body of Christ.

Outside of these parameters, I consider a religion to be pseudo-Christian.

Of course, any group of people can call themselves whatever they like, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it fits within my definition.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:27 PM

By the way Alice, you are free to have your own opinions, just as I am, but at least separate them from what your church officially teaches, you know like a disclaimer. I don't always agree with my church on certain things, but I will separate my opinion from my churches opinion if people ask.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Well I mentioned how the JW's I have known believe that their religion is the only true religion and only they will surive Armageddon.---- Then you said that is not so and that many people who are not JW's would survive Armageddon---That is why I asked you if you personally are a Universalist.

This book seem to point clearly that JW's are the true religion, and only they will survive Armageddon. Either this book is wrong or you are not as well versed in your religion as you think.
Budt don't you see that those are two entirely different things? Yes, we believe Jehovah's Witnesses have the true religion, as I stated previously, and incidentally so does most of Fundamental Christianity as well as anyone else who takes their faith seriously. BUT nowhere in the quotes you provided does it say thaty ONLY THEY will survive Armageddon. That is what I denied and still do.

If by Universalist you mean someone who thinks everyone on earth will be saved. No, I believe that to be contradictory to Mattew 25:46. However, it is certainly God's desire that all men should repent and receive everlasting life. But as is evident from Jude 7, there are those who will not survive.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
1. Belief in God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirt

2. Belief that Jesus Christ was fully human and fully divine

3. Belief that Jesus was crucified, died, and buried.

4. Belief that Jesus rose again from the dead.

5. Belief that forgiveness of sins and salvation is accomplished through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

6. Belief that the Bible is the normative rule and guide of faith.

7. Belief in the church as the body of Christ.

Outside of these parameters, I consider a religion to be pseudo-Christian.

Of course, any group of people can call themselves whatever they like, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it fits within my definition.
1. I believe in all three of these things.

2.It is imossible for anyone to be two things to completion. God sent his son to earth to be born in human form and die for our sins.

3. He was hung upon a stake (staur'os) like a common criminal, died, and then put into a tomb...not buried.

4.He rose from the dead, yes. On the third day.

5. Absolutely.

6. Absolutely, one hundred percent.

7. Belief in the Christian Congregation as the body of Christ. Yes.

So why again am I not Christian? Even according to YOUR definition?

Old 12-19-2008, 01:35 PM

I don't believe my church is the one true religion, I don't believe there is any "one true religion". I do believe in Jesus Christ as my saviour.

But there is plenty more in this book. Even one whole chapter devoted to the topic "Your religion really matters"

But here is the real clincher page 255 chapter 14. Tell me what this means?

Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I don't believe my church is the one true religion, I don't believe there is any "one true religion". I do believe in Jesus Christ as my saviour.

But there is plenty more in this book. Even one whole chapter devoted to the topic "Your religion really matters"

But here is the real clincher page 255 chapter 14. Tell me what this means?
Okay, put it this way...do you feel Christianity is the one true religion?

(Don't worry, I'll respond to your posted paragraph after you answer me...)

Old 12-19-2008, 01:41 PM

yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity