Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 03:48 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
ilovethetruth,

Even if Jehovah's Witnesses did believe that they were the only saved people...and we don't...but if we did, how would that possible make us any different than almost every member of Fundamental Christianity out there? .
It may or may not make you any different, but at least those Baptists are upfront about their beliefs.

If you believe that JW's are the only true religion, then just say so, if you believe that Christians of many different denominations will be saved, then just say so.

Don't try to play appeasement to people, when your church does teach that only they are truly Christians and only they will receive salvavtion at Armageddon.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:49 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
ilovethetruth,

I have to get outta here. Let me just conclude this discussion by saying: From my own discussions with the Baptists in our area (who seem to disagree alot, amongst themselves), the general feeling is that only Christians will survive Armageddon. I've been told in no uncertain terms that if I don't believe that they do, I will go to hell. By several several people. My version of 'Christianity' does not suffice for them.

Even if Jehovah's Witnesses did believe that they were the only saved people...and we don't...but if we did, how would that possible make us any different than almost every member of Fundamental Christianity out there? Millions of people who don't practicie Christianity, according to that line of reasoning, would have no chance. And yet that is okay with you? Maybe it would be best not to continue to point fingers unless you can truly seperate yourself from a religion that does exactly the thing with which you find fault.

What is it that Baptists disagree on? I have heard many JWs who came to my door, including JWs in my family, make that argument that Baptists unlike JWs are not in agreement and if that were the case, why are there different branches in the same religion.

This is what Baptists all do agree on--Jesus is the only way to the father, he is the Son of God-God-the Son. You must be born-again, in order to enter God's kingdom. If you are talking about us being divided over other issues, then would you not agree that some JWs aren't in agreement on whether or not they should attend a family members funeral at a church or other religions place or worship? Some witnesses feel that it's worldly to watch certain tv programing while others would say what they watch in t heir house is no one business.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Right, again the key word being 'RELIGION'. Nowhere does it state that calling yourself a Jehovah's Witness guarantees you an out, does it?

We do not have a list of do's and don'ts. But the bible does. And if you aren't willing to abide by those commandments, then how can you possibly claim to have the truth or even be Christian?
You are doing what I call the classic JW twisting back and forth and we are not going anywhere. Is Not celebrating holidays a don't of yours? How about getting blood transfusions that is a MEDICAL procedure and is not in any way the same as drinking it when one needs it. ARe you saying that you can follow all of Jesus' commandments on point every day, and if you can't are you not really a Christian using your logic?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:56 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
It may or may not make you any different, but at least those Baptists are upfront about their beliefs.

If you believe that JW's are the only true religion, then just say so, if you believe that Christians of many different denominations will be saved, then just say so.

Don't try to play appeasement to people, when your church does teach that only they are truly Christians and only they will receive salvavtion at Armageddon.

I can't help but feel hurt that you would make such accusations. I thought I was very clear. But just to reiterate:

YES, I BELIEVE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ARE GOD'S CHOSEN ORGANIZATION ON EARTH (OTHERWISE I WOULDNT BE ONE)

and

YES, I ALSO BELIEVE THAT THERE WILL BE OTHER HONEST HEARTED ONES WHO WILL BE SAVED BASED ON THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE NOT HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO KNOW GOD YET SINCE ONLY GOD CAN READ HEARTS.

Clear enough? I looked back by the way, and I realize that this is EXACTLY what I said from the beginning and in complete agreement (again) with this official comment made by the Watchtower Society on their website:

Do they believe that they are the only ones who will be saved?
No. Millions that have lived in centuries past and who were not Jehovah's Witnesses will come back in a resurrection and have an opportunity for life. Many now living may yet take a stand for truth and righteousness before the "great tribulation," and they will gain salvation. Moreover, Jesus said that we should not be judging one another. We look at the outward appearance; God looks at the heart. He sees accurately and judges mercifully. He has committed judgment into Jesus' hands, not ours.—Matthew 7:1-5; 24:21; 25:31

I can at least be confident that I was consistent.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
What is it that Baptists disagree on? I have heard many JWs who came to my door, including JWs in my family, make that argument that Baptists unlike JWs are not in agreement and if that were the case, why are there different branches in the same religion.

This is what Baptists all do agree on--Jesus is the only way to the father, he is the Son of God-God-the Son. You must be born-again, in order to enter God's kingdom. If you are talking about us being divided over other issues, then would you not agree that some JWs aren't in agreement on whether or not they should attend a family members funeral at a church or other religions place or worship? Some witnesses feel that it's worldly to watch certain tv programing while others would say what they watch in t heir house is no one business.

On matters of conscience, where God's word is not specific, it is up to each Christian to decide for himself whether something is or is not pleasing to God. You disagree?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:59 PM

antredd, she is not even being honest about what her religion teaches. I have had numerous dealings with JW's and everything they have said, has been completely opposite than what she has said.

Either JW's changed along the way--something she refuses to admit.

Or she is making them out to be much more tolerant than what they are.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
You are doing what I call the classic JW twisting back and forth and we are not going anywhere. Is Not celebrating holidays a don't of yours? How about getting blood transfusions that is a MEDICAL procedure and is not in any way the same as drinking it when one needs it. ARe you saying that you can follow all of Jesus' commandments on point every day, and if you can't are you not really a Christian using your logic?

And, if my say so with respect, you are doing the classic 'Baptist' and attempting to turn the tables on the JW and find fault with their unshakable faith. If you'll look back over my comments, you will see that I never once picked at a single belief of ilovetruths, even after I knew she was Baptist. I even asked her 'Do you feel that your religion supports the teachings of Christ' and when she said yes, I did not point out the doctrines I felt prove otherwise. Why do people feel the need to do that, I wonder? If you are satisfied with your beliefs, and are certain you have the truth, why are you so focused on finding fault with others?

I think the original question that brought this up was a comment that JW's are exclusive and only they will receive Salvation, to which she quickly replied "NO"

But you have to read between the lines of what she said above.

JW's, whether just recently or maybe in the past, may have allowed for the "heathen" to receive Salvation, but on no certain terms would they allow for other church members to be saved. I believe they allow exceptions for those living in remote jungles, but as for regular joe church goe'r, they believe he will be destroyed at armageddon.

Quote:
On matters of conscience, where God's word is not specific, it is up to each Christian to decide for himself whether something is or is not pleasing to God. You disagree?
Ok I got it now. Well any conscience choice we make in serving God is personal. What religion we choose to PRACTICE, since a religion doesn't SAVE our Souls is a personal matter, and I have the utmost respect for anyone who can clearly and intelligently tell me why they are a Baptist, JW, Catholic, Mormon, Church of Christ Member without being condescending nor self-righteous about their religion. We all have to have faith in something, and for me I choose to be a Baptist, just like you choose to be a JW because we both think and feel that our resepectable religions are going to show us how to live holy and serve God in truth. With that said, I am done with this thread.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
And, if my say so with respect, you are doing the classic 'Baptist' and attempting to turn the tables on the JW and find fault with their unshakable faith. If you'll look back over my comments, you will see that I never once picked at a single belief of ilovetruths, even after I knew she was Baptist. I even asked her 'Do you feel that your religion supports the teachings of Christ' and when she said yes, I did not point out the doctrines I felt prove otherwise. Why do people feel the need to do that, I wonder? If you are satisfied with your beliefs, and are certain you have the truth, why are you so focused on finding fault with others?

The same question could be asked of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity