Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 03:27 PM

706 posts, read 1,242,014 times

Advertisements

Well I don't believe in your version of Armageddon to begin with.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:28 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,580,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
Well I don't believe in your version of Armageddon to begin with.
Okay, well,the bible's 'Armageddon'. Forget anything about me for a minute. Do you believe that only Christians will survive the Armageddon of the bible?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:31 PM

Alice, I had a JW come to my house for several months, he wasn't just any JW, he was an Elder, and the head of his congregation. What he told me, does not jive with what you have said. I asked him point blank if I had to become a JW to survive Armageddon and he told me "yes" The various literature he left with me also agreed with that too.

Just about everything he told me was different than what you have stated.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
But why does my belief that Christ is the Son of God (a fact he himself declared) not qualify me as a Christian? According to the dictionary, a Christian is one who follows the teachings of Christ and accepts him as their savior. I do both of these things.
It's not the question of whether Christ is the Son, but whether he is begotten of the same substance of the Father---essentially it's the question of the Triune God and the shared divinity of Jesus Christ. I consider the belief in a triune God to be fundamental to defining "Christian", and an essential description of the Christian God.

The dictionary can say whatever it wants, the question stated was whether i would define JW's as Christian. I'd tend to define JW's as something similar to Arians.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:33 PM

Actually, you proved to me with everything you pointed out exactly what I stated...but forget that for a minute.

Do you feel that only Christians will survive Armageddon?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
It's not the question of whether Christ is the Son, but whether he is begotten of the same substance of the Father---essentially it's the question of the Triune God and the shared divinity of Jesus Christ. I consider the belief in a triune God to be fundamental to defining "Christian", and an essential description of the Christian God.

The dictionary can say whatever it wants, the question stated was whether i would define JW's as Christian. I'd tend to define JW's as something similar to Arians.
You are right. I'm would never want to group myself with that definition of Christian.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Okay, well,the bible's 'Armageddon'. Forget anything about me for a minute. Do you believe that only Christians will survive the Armageddon of the bible?

I don't even believe Christians will be around by the time Armageddon comes.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:41 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
Quote:
I actually get my reasoning on the ministry from my bible, not my Watchtower. I just happen to be in good company...millions who came to the same conclusion about how the ministry should be conducted. Exactly like the early christians did it.
Ok I stand corrected. You said that the JWs don't teach that they are the only saved Christians. But your religion does teach that the JWs are the only ones truely worshipping God. Even in the book You Can Live Forever In Paradise page 190 and I quote:

It is logcal that there would be one true religion. This is in harmony with the fact that the true God is a God, 'not of disorder, but of peace..... Who then, are the ones who form the body of true worshipers today? We do not hesitate to say that they are Jehovah's Wtnesses.

When a Christian organization teaches that christians have to follow a long laundry list of do's and don'ts in order to be saved or right with God, then that religion has missed the mark and is behaving like the Pharasees. Their religion isn't one based on the FINISHED WORK OF JESUS CHRIST. It's a religion based on a long list of legalistic do's and don'ts that forces it's members to WORK FOR THEIR SALVATION, instead of working out their salvation. Two major differences.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:42 PM

ilovethetruth,

I have to get outta here. Let me just conclude this discussion by saying: From my own discussions with the Baptists in our area (who seem to disagree alot, amongst themselves), the general feeling is that only Christians will survive Armageddon. I've been told in no uncertain terms that if I don't believe that they do, I will go to hell. By several several people. My version of 'Christianity' does not suffice for them.

Even if Jehovah's Witnesses did believe that they were the only saved people...and we don't...but if we did, how would that possible make us any different than almost every member of Fundamental Christianity out there? Millions of people who don't practicie Christianity, according to that line of reasoning, would have no chance. And yet that is okay with you? Maybe it would be best not to continue to point fingers unless you can truly seperate yourself from a religion that does exactly the thing with which you find fault.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Ok I stand corrected. You said that the JWs don't teach that they are the only saved Christians. But your religion does teach that the JWs are the only ones truely worshipping God. Even in the book You Can Live Forever In Paradise page 190 and I quote:

It is logcal that there would be one true religion. This is in harmony with the fact that the true God is a God, 'not of disorder, but of peace..... Who then, are the ones who form the body of true worshipers today? We do not hesitate to say that they are Jehovah's Wtnesses.

When a Christian organization teaches that christians have to follow a long laundry list of do's and don'ts in order to be saved or right with God, then that religion has missed the mark and is behaving like the Pharasees. Their religion isn't one based on the FINISHED WORK OF JESUS CHRIST. It's a religion based on a long list of legalistic do's and don'ts that forces it's members to WORK FOR THEIR SALVATION, instead of working out their salvation. Two major differences.

Right, again the key word being 'RELIGION'. Nowhere does it state that calling yourself a Jehovah's Witness guarantees you an out, does it?

We do not have a list of do's and don'ts. But the bible does. And if you aren't willing to abide by those commandments, then how can you possibly claim to have the truth or even be Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity