Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:19 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
This ^ is actually interesting, as it made June think. Over half my caseload (if not more) is comprised of individuals who believe. Of those half, a good number go to church regularly, pray, and so forth. How does June know this? -Because they have made it a point of telling her so. Hence, June can't help but wonder: If the "answers" are to found in only God, alone, then why do they come to see me? It's not for the meds, as June does not prescribe for them and do therapy. What June supposes she finds so compelling is this notion that secular/pagan psychotherapists are totally, completely "clueless" as regards the religious and/or spiritual aspects of those whom we treat. By and large, I'd say we're not. (At least June's not.) There is a reason that June has written, time and time again: "Human beings are not just defined by the biological, psychological, and social aspects/nature of their beings. They possess a spiritual component, as well." Psychotherapy accomplishes nothing if it does not somehow transform the patient; implying some degree of meaningful change that entails hope.

If that isn't (somehow, on some level) a spiritual endeavor in and of itself, then June's not sure what would be...Like she said before: "Therapy" and ones "belief/faith" are not necessarily mutually exclusive. June will even risk going way out on a limb here, waaaaaaaaayyy outside her "comfort zone" and say: When there are only two people sitting in a room, and some sort of transformative process exists by which pain can result in some sort of meaningful change, and where the end result as felt by the patient is some sense of healing, along with an increased sense of hope, then what would we call that "process," June wonders...?

Possibly, a number of different things.

Take gentle care.
hI june.....I respect your position...and that "transformative process", you explain from your "qualified" opinion...and it is qualified for sure...makes me think too...seeing I've never been on your side of "the desk", but I have been on the other side of the desk, and she, (my psych.), had her Buddah figure right behind her on a book shelf...and all she wanted to do was pump meds into me which made me unable to function...I hated them..(the drugs)..I was very depressed from a traumatic event in my life that quickly sent me into a tail spin...My husband died in my arms...We loved each other very much...I didn't handle it well...I was a Christian...but I thought I needed someone's assistance in helping me begin the process of claiming my life back...because in my depression, I couldn't read...period...not even the Word...I couldn't go out into the world, around people for them to talk to me...I eventually had to discontinue going to her, because she wasn't helping me to get better...but in that experience I did realize that drugs were not the answer...so I never took any more again...this was in 1999-2003...then I heard the Lord call me back...He said He missed me...He said He needed me,,,and I heard Him...and here I am...I'm back! With a vengance!! But, no....I understand what you're saying...that's why I said I couldn't "generalize", there's just too many that I also know of who were helped wonderfully by their psych's...and I'll bet that june is a wonderful psychologist to share deep feelings with...june would be a blessing to anyone who would come in contact with her.....Love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:39 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,078 times
It is my impression, being "analyzed" was supposed to explain the nuts and bolts of what bothered you. For example, your anxiety towards others was caused by a fear of your mother abandoning you and your father's disapproval, which you resented and generalized to society at large. Fine. That may be the cause. However, what is the cure? Psychotherapy didn't have one and modern psych doesn't either. Hence the phrase, "better off dead" (and I might add, our society's willingness to embrace "mercy killing" for depressed people)

The feel good doctor's visit, counseling seems to have degenerated to, isn't surprising. It is marketable. There's demand. We've lost a lot of good jobs to Free Trade Extremism.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:58 PM

I forgot to add: Insurance Companies have been coerced into paying for it.

Last edited by Chef Boyardee; 02-13-2009 at 12:11 AM..

Old 02-13-2009, 12:04 AM

Talking Videos

Did they bother to tell you, they have no idea what they are talking about?

YouTube - Psychiatry EXPOSED!

Feelings do not = Diseases

YouTube - Psychiatry REVEALED!!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Did they bother to tell you, they have no idea what they are talking about?

YouTube - Psychiatry EXPOSED!

Feelings do not = Diseases

YouTube - Psychiatry REVEALED!!
Relax Chef . . . there are legitimate brain diseases and dysfunctions that Szasz understands are real. There just aren't very many. The vast majority of "mental disorders" are the result of social maladaptations that affect an individual's life negatively. Giving them a name shifts blame and provides a psychological handle for them to begin dealing with them. The most difficult of things for us to deal with are our feelings and motivations . . . because they don't seem as though they are under our control . . . they just are.

The typical psychotherapy or psychological counseling venues are not the main problem . . . except perhaps for the overuse of medications. They can play an important role in facilitating the social adjustment of individuals. The "diagnoses" are for purely psychological reasons to facilitate the process of adjustment. Counseling is a way to begin to teach the poorly understood process of self-control. That's all.

Now Szasz has legitimate complaints and concerns about the use and acceptance of psychiatry. When the courts begin to use the opinions of these professionals about the psychological state of otherwise normal individuals . . . there is a legitimate concern, Chef . . . because the infringement of freedoms inherent in government power is not trivial and the dangers of misdiagnosis are very real..

There are no psychological tests valid at the individual level for most people . . . except for those cases that fall at the extreme tails of the normal distribution . . . psychotics and sociopaths. But for the legitimate psychotics and sociopaths . . . there are no real treatments and no cures or ability to accurately assess when a dangerous psychopath or sociopath is safe to be released from custody. Yet this is done all the time on the mere opinion of egotitstical psychiatrists who should know better. That should be a concern to us all.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:22 AM

Default Is Obama Psychotic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Relax Chef . . . there are legitimate brain diseases and dysfunctions that Szasz understands are real. There just aren't very many. The vast majority of "mental disorders" are the result of social maladaptations that affect an individual's life negatively. Giving them a name shifts blame and provides a psychological handle for them to begin dealing with them. The most difficult of things for us to deal with are our feelings and motivations . . . because they don't seem as though they are under our control . . . they just are.

The typical psychotherapy or psychological counseling venues are not the main problem . . . except perhaps for the overuse of medications. They can play an important role in facilitating the social adjustment of individuals. The "diagnoses" are for purely psychological reasons to facilitate the process of adjustment. Counseling is a way to begin to teach the poorly understood process of self-control. That's all.

Now Szasz has legitimate complaints and concerns about the use and acceptance of psychiatry. When the courts begin to use the opinions of these professionals about the psychological state of otherwise normal individuals . . . there is a legitimate concern, Chef . . . because the infringement of freedoms inherent in government power is not trivial and the dangers of misdiagnosis are very real..

There are no psychological tests valid at the individual level for most people . . . except for those cases that fall at the extreme tails of the normal distribution . . . psychotics and sociopaths. But for the legitimate psychotics and sociopaths . . . there are no real treatments and no cures or ability to accurately assess when a dangerous psychopath or sociopath is safe to be released from custody. Yet this is done all the time on the mere opinion of egotitstical psychiatrists who should know better. That should be a concern to us all.
Psychosis = Delusional = believing things that aren't true. So, when you believe that your car insurance will replace your car, but it really won't, then you are "psychotic." At least in regards to Automobile Insurance

Schizophrenia = Psychosis + Withdrawal. Withdrawal = being afraid of people, because they seem scary to you. So, if you withdraw from people, when the conversation turns to Car Insurance, then you are "Schizo!"

And this is what a trained "doctor" sees when he looks at your head. Some might say, he's the one that is delusional

Old 02-13-2009, 11:48 PM

Thumbs down Sociopath or you are diseased

Boy that picture of the lady with the fruit sure is funny

Socio = Social

Path = Pathology = Disease

So, a sociopath is someone who suffers from a sociopathology, which is a Social Disease

O.k. So, here's an example of a "Social Disease." Your sister is having a slumber party and you decide it would be funny and perhaps, "stimulating" to disrupt the event by attacking them with a super soaker/garden hose. Thus, by disrupting a social event, you are labeled "anti-social" and hence judged to be suffering from a "social disease." A common term for it is anti-social personality disorder.

Another example. Friday night is date night at your high school. You decide you would rather stay home.

Another example. Friday night is prom night at your high school. You are known as "Creepy Carrie," because you are a nerd and John Travolta is plotting to humiliate you, because he thinks it would be fun. In this case, both of you would be considered, "socially diseased."

Another example. You enjoy belching in public.

Another example. You wear causal slacks to a party, when everyone else is wearing blue jeans

Old 02-14-2009, 12:03 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post

O.k. So, here's an example of a "Social Disease." Your sister is having a slumber party and you decide it would be funny and perhaps, "stimulating" to disrupt the event by attacking them with a super soaker/garden hose. Thus, by disrupting a social event, you are labeled "anti-social" and hence judged to be suffering from a "social disease." A common term for it is anti-social personality disorder.

Another example. Friday night is date night at your high school. You decide you would rather stay home.

Another example. Friday night is prom night at your high school. You are known as "Creepy Carrie," because you are a nerd and John Travolta is plotting to humiliate you, because he thinks it would be fun. In this case, both of you would be considered, "socially diseased."

Another example. You enjoy belching in public.

Another example. You wear causal slacks to a party, when everyone else is wearing blue jeans
Another example: A person generates a thread on something they clearly know very little about. Following that, the thread dies off for nearly two months before said person decides to "bump" it to the top of the list with nothing more than a one-line reply and a stupid picture attached to it. Following that, more stupid pictures follow along with even poorer 'strawman' arguments.

I am no psychologist but I think these activities may be inclined to allow us to assess the the individual as showing tendencies of obsessive compulsion, delusional psychosis and marked stupidity teetering somewhere in the vicinity of the Forrest Gump range.

I will have to confer with some experts but it seems the only known treatment would be an education past the third grade level consisting of more than YouTube videos and color-by-number books.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:25 AM

Default You can't have it both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Another example: A person generates a thread on something they clearly know very little about. Following that, the thread dies off for nearly two months before said person decides to "bump" it to the top of the list with nothing more than a one-line reply and a stupid picture attached to it. Following that, more stupid pictures follow along with even poorer 'strawman' arguments.

I am no psychologist but I think these activities may be inclined to allow us to assess the the individual as showing tendencies of obsessive compulsion, delusional psychosis and marked stupidity teetering somewhere in the vicinity of the Forrest Gump range.

I will have to confer with some experts but it seems the only known treatment would be an education past the third grade level consisting of more than YouTube videos and color-by-number books.
According to Psychology, your behavior is Anti-Social. Hence, you are a Sociopath. Thus, we should view your rude post as a symptom of a disease, nothing more than a fever or cough.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

"Diagnosis" does not = who a person is.

It serves only two purposes that I know of: 1- A DSM code is needed in order to bill; 2- A diagnosis can inform a clinician as to how to treat/formulate a treatment plan for a given patient. --Oh wait. There's a third, as well: It oftentimes enables the individual to gain access to other services and areas of assistance that would otherwise perhaps be unavailable to them. (ex: housing, education, transportation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD

The standard by which any given individual can be deemed "incompetent" in a court of law is incredibly high...And doesn't happen all that often. (Much to the dismay of family members who want their loved one committed to a long term hospital or facility due to either safety concerns, or the family's inability to care for the loved one themselves.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD

There are no psychological tests valid at the individual level for most people .

If one does not adhere to, or believe in psych testing as being a valid index, then I suppose the above is correct. However, PET scans of a "normal" person's brain, and that of a schizophrenic will absolutely look very, very different.

Not everyone needs "pyscyhiatry." For some, it is contraindicated. If friends or family help, or prayer helps, or spiritual counselling is indicated, then those are all positive resources one can use.

"Psychiatry" and "psychotherapy" are not for everyone.

-And June would add that she would be the first to admit it.

Take gentle care.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-15-2009 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity