Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:19 PM

126 posts, read 261,014 times

Advertisements

Artsyguy...it's just you. Perhaps you need to find a church that plays music that speaks to your soul, that uplifts you spiritually. Find a church that has sermons relevant to your life, that explains the Bible in ways you can understand, that helps you grow closer to the Lord.

Most churches I would say have people shake hands. No one in their right mind is expecting you to become bosom buddies with the people you shake hands with. It's an attempt to break down the barriers between people. Oftentimes there are newcomers who are uncomfortable and just shaking their hand and saying "hello" can help them along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
I corinthians 1:18
its just you.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,548,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Well, as Catholics we believe in something called the Eucharist, where we receive the literal blood and body of Jesus Christ.

I suppose if I were to go to a baptist ministry, and was to hear the bible every Sunday I'd think it was worthless too. I could just as easily read the bible on my own. But going to Catholic mass is much different than your protestant service.
Excuse me Aaron, but I wouldn't call the Word of God (Bible) worthless!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 PM

783 posts, read 1,327,835 times
A good Bible teaching church does far more than simply read the Scriptures. A Bible teaching church is responsible for making disciples of each member.

Reading of the Scriptures is foundational to Bible teaching. However a teaching pastor will deliver an expository sermon based on the Scripture reading(s).

For example, the sermon will begin by providing historical and cultural context to develop the meaning of God’s word at the time it was recorded. The sermon will then develop the meaning of the Scripture in the context of today’s era closing with points of application to the congregation and then encouraging individuals to fulfill their role.

But wait, it doesn’t stop with the weekly sermon. There should also be an active small groups ministry to help with discipleship and fellowship. These small groups become the “life blood” of the church as they become an integral component of the missions network for the church.

If all this is going on it won’t seem that…
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
the sermon's silly and ridiculous and virtually meaningless.
You will be filled, sometimes to the point of being overwhelmed. I believe you ready for that. What do you think?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,893,433 times
Quote:
Is it just me or are the sermon's silly and ridiculous and virtually meaningless?
Does it bring any meaning or depth to anybody's lives? Do you put to much value into sitting in a church, singing old and redundant hymn's being played by organ, and shaking a person's hand whom you have no intention of befriending?? It all seems so meaningless.

I think the others are right: it's time for you to look for a new/different church...if it doesn't mean anything to you, then you are in the WRONG place...

Bud

Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 AM

378 posts, read 627,255 times
It depends on the people there and what they're preaching. Some preachers are easy to understand or rational with what they're saying, others are just plain brainwashed it seems. Church is not silly at all if you're going to one where you believe what they're saying.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:37 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,170,824 times
Tell the Lord, artsy. He'll lead you in His Word.

I don't want to overstep, but I'd like to make a suggestion...maybe find someone or a few others that feel the same as you and meet an additional time of the week privately? Prayer, reading, studying? I'd give it to the Lord.

I feel for you.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:02 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,462,835 times
Quote:
How is a catholic service different?

A protestant service has communion which is the same as Eucharist.
No, it isn't the same. They believe that the Eucharist isn't the literal body and blood of Christ, just a representation of the last meal.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,274,999 times
Quote:
Is it just me or are the sermon's silly and ridiculous and virtually meaningless?
Does it bring any meaning or depth to anybody's lives? Do you put to much value into sitting in a church, singing old and redundant hymn's being played by organ, and shaking a person's hand whom you have no intention of befriending?? It all seems so meaningless.
Very typical description of church among young people. As you grow older, you will begin to appreciate such things more than in your teenage years and early twenties. After you come to the realization that life is more than just getting drunk and stoned out of your mind and getting laid every night, you might look at religion in a different light. At least thats how it happened with me.

Artsyguy, aren't you atheist anyways?

Last edited by bchris02; 01-05-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,559,205 times
Quote:
May I ask why you are going to 'church' in the first place??? Are you a minor and forced to go by your parents?
If you are an adult, you are under no obligation to go someplace that you so obviously hate!

I glanced at your previous posts, and find that you are not happy on the "Relationship" forum either.

I think bchris may have hit the nail on the head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity