Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,480,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Just because God says He will save all mankind (1 Tim.2:4-6) does not necessarily mean He won't.
I certainly believe He can and will do what he says He will do. I have no reason at all to doubt Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
What I find interesting is that when I broach the subject of God saving all mankind with other sincere believers is that some of them feel others don't deserve to be saved.

What do you find wrong with the above response?
Every knee will bow, every tongue will confess.

If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me.

And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.

For therefore we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God who is the savior of all
men specially of those that believe.

Who will have all men to be saved and come unto the knowledge of the truth.

What's so hard here to understand? Seems simple enough for a twelve-years-old to comprehend.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Just because God says He will save all mankind (1 Tim.2:4-6) does not necessarily mean He won't.
One problem is that the word "all" in scripture is that it doe not mean everything in total.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:39 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
One problem is that the word "all" in scripture is that it doe not mean everything in total.
So it all depends on what the meaning of the word "is" . . . is?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
PLEASE!! Not yet another translator who claims to know more about the old texts than did the original translators. Leave the scriptures alone. Don't change them only because you don't agree with them. Just because you've thrown in the towel doesn't mean God has.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:05 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
PLEASE!! Not yet another translator who claims to know more about the old texts than did the original translators. Leave the scriptures alone. Don't change them only because you don't agree with them. Just because you've thrown in the towel doesn't mean God has.
Ok .. so why is your dictionary usurps everybody else?

You say
leave scriptures alone ... Don't change them only because you don't agree with them.
yet who changes scriptures when Jesus uses the word "never" and people are forced to comply
Matthew 7:23
Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

yet who changes scriptures when Jesus uses the word "never" and clamors about word definitions like "aiona"
Mark 3:29
"but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.â€

yet who changes scriptures when Jesus uses the word "never" and along with the suffering of hell
Mark 9:43
If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off.
It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.

yet who changes scriptures when Jesus uses the word "never" getting into heaven (which is another term for heaven) and not having a child like faith:
Mark 10:15
Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.â€
yet who changes scriptures when Jesus uses the word "never" and being to understand and see
Matthew 13:14 " In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.' "
yet who changes scriptures when Jesus uses the word "never" and "read in scriptures" and that Jesus will be the death of those who reject him ... and it's marvelous that the Lord did it?
Matthew 21:42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:
‘The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes’ ? "
and you do know that when Jesus is talking about "death" in this context he's speaking about the "second death" which is commonly understood in Christendom as the final place the damned are assigned to by Jesus.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:02 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
The incorrect word in this response is "deserve".
We all know that no one deserves to be saved, except Jesus. So why do so many people slip back into a mindset that places certain people in a higher deserved status?
This is where the fundamentalists go haywire right off the bat.

Everyone deserves to be saved because God made us, He broke us and the rule is "if you break it, you own it."

Try to rationalize two people having a child and then when the baby craps its diapers they say, "You did it, you change it."

God knew from the beginning we would fall but He created us anyway; He set us up to sin by creating us in such a way that the capacity to sin was built into us; he allowed the serpent to approach Eve; He did nothing to stop Eve from succumbing to temptation; He might as well have allowed a baby to step into the way of an oncoming truck.

This is the fundamentalist mentality that is driving people away from Christianity by the millions: "you're pathetic, miserable sinners soaked in iniquity and absolutely worthless in the eyes of God, unless you believe in and accept His Son, Jesus as your personal Lord and savior."

People just don't want anything to do with this barbaric mindset anymore. They want a God who says, "I love you and I assume complete responsibility for your salvation and I took care of your salvation by having My Son die for you. You're saved and going to heaven whether you like it or not. You may not want to now, but I guarantee that you will want to by the time I'm done refining your soul."

A real parent protects his children. A fake parent throws them to the wolves like the fundamentalists' god does.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
yet who changes scriptures when Jesus uses the word "never" getting into heaven (which is another term for heaven) and not having a child like faith:
Mark 10:15
Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.

should read:
yet who changes scriptures when Jesus uses the word "never" getting into "the kingdom of God" (which is another term for heaven) and not having a child like faith:

Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
He never said he'd save all mankind.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Hows about reading it in context?

I can pull a random quote from any book in the Bible and make it say what I want...but when I read it in the context in which it was written...well, now -- it may not mean what it seems to say on the surface.

So the question of "all" is a legitimate question. What did Paul mean when he wrote it? You need to look at the rest of the paragraph, the chapter, the letter, and the entirety of Paul's writings -- as well as the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity