Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:25 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Now who's twisting?

I already posted the example of the parable of the farmer sowing seeds. You have chosen to ignore it. You usually do so I'm not all that surprised.

There isn't more to say. You'll just go on trampling and wildly flinging your seed around, making yourself a stumbling block.

I'm going to work on the following portion of scripture
LOL.....The parable of sower HAS ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with witnessing

I see "scriptural origami" is alive and well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Really??
Quote:
18"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."
Quote:
13Then Jesus said to them, "Don't you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable? 14The farmer sows the word. 15Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. 16Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy. 17But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 18Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; 19but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. 20Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop—thirty, sixty or even a hundred times what was sown."
Quote:
11"This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. 12Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. 14The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. 15But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:39 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl
Quote:
I do, however, have a problem with him professing to be a "Christian" and living a sinful lifestyle that is totally against the teachings of God while claiming that lifestyle is acceptable to God.
Do Christians truly believe that they're unable to sin?
Besidez, once a Christian commits a sin does this then mean that he suddenly is not a Christian anymore?
There is no Christian without sin, not even Jesus because he had always considered himself to be a Jew.
So my point is that in the whole sceneraio the only one you can call prideful is the person who believes that he is unable to sin.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:53 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
As I have been gently corrected, yes, Christ is also described as a stumbling stone to the unbelieving as well as the cornerstone to believers.

Quote:
"See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
will never be put to shame." 7Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,
"The stone the builders rejected
has become the capstone, 8and,
"A stone that causes men to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall." They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.
However, we are not to be stumbling stones.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
No comment on the parable of the farmer and the seed?

You may well end up a fool before both.

Mercury Cougar is spot on. Jesus describes himself as the cornerstone...a BUILDING block. When you go on and on as you do you are making of yourself a stumbling block. Scripture clearly says not to be a stumbling block.

God will prepare the soil for planting but you keep treading on it, compacting it into hardened clay where no seed can possibility grow. No farmer would expect a harvest when they trample their own soil. Not only that, you trample the fragile seedlings that manage to sprout...stomping them with your 'interpretations' of scripture and drowning them with fundamentalism.
After reading all these posts I am glad these verses (which didn't carry over from the original as they were in quotes) are posted, so thank you NCYank.

I watched the OP video and thought to myself... what the heck did this guy do wrong? Would you also say that a christian who wears a jogging suit to a fancy night out is "sinful?"

I mean obviously they are dressed inappropriately for the occasion, but you really think their walk with God is any more or less "christian" than yours??

I don't see where this person is sinning... since when is it "sinful" for a man to wear a dress in public? Inappropriately dressed perhaps, but sinful?

Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Watch as ray "risks" being judged as judgmental for lovingly judging a man whom God has already judged to be in the lake of fire for ever ...

Ray is "lovingly" proclaiming eternal torment ...

Have you heard the Good news confused and lost person? God will lovingly torture you forever ...

Hugs and kisses ... xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This is pretty simple NCyank. Show me the verse? show me the verse where we shouldn't witness and share our faith? instead of a madeup theology?

Show the verse?

(Matthew 28:18-20) 18And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Alright, so you are supposed to witness, but the question is the type of witness.

Just for kicks, can you make me a list of things Jesus commanded of them so we know whether this form of witnessing is what was meant in this passage, or whether this form of witnessing is ineffective and repulsive.

Just using Matthew? As it was those commands Jesus is speaking of, right? I'll give you the four gospels to use for every command Jesus gave from his own lips to the disciples.

I'll compile my own; Then we will know how it is the gospel should teach people "to observe all that I commanded you."

Old 10-08-2009, 04:23 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Alright, so you are supposed to witness, but the question is the type of witness.

Just for kicks, can you make me a list of things Jesus commanded of them so we know whether this form of witnessing is what was meant in this passage, or whether this form of witnessing is ineffective and repulsive.

Just using Matthew? As it was those commands Jesus is speaking of, right? I'll give you the four gospels to use for every command Jesus gave from his own lips to the disciples.

I'll compile my own; Then we will know how it is the gospel should teach people "to observe all that I commanded you."
This should be interesting ...

Old 10-08-2009, 05:23 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Default Fundementalist.....

So what is wrong with him wearing a dress? It may seem odd and weird to us, but so did seeing women in pants way back in the day. You do realize that there are no boundaries for what is and isn't men's or women's clothing in the bible.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I would rather be a fool before man than before God.
Why can you not be led by the Spirit? I don't think you even know what I'm talking about.

The Lord doesn't want us making fools of ourselves. You say your thinking is warped and perverted - it SHOULDN'T be, not if you have been born again.

Relationship, not religion - you just don't get it.

You say you believe in God, yet you don't even think He is capable of telling you when to speak, and when to stay silent? Or is it that you do not know how to listen? Problem somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity