Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:52 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
In Genesis 1 it says:

There was evening and there was morning. One day.

There was evening and there was morning. A second day. (NASV)

actually, lets check for the very first time the Bible used the word "Day" in Genesis and let see what in means?

And God separated the light from the darkness.
God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.

Did you see that?
"God called the light Day"

Not Alan,
Not Mike.
God called the Light Day.

Now lets check if Jesus also used that same meaning for the term "day" that God gives us in Genesis?

Matthew 12:40
"For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish,
Here we see that Jesus also connected the term "Day" as talking about the time when it was light outside due being able to see the sun.

We know this is what he was talking about because he contrasts "day" with "night"

So according to Jesus, the term "day" that he was using means being able to see outside because the sun is up.

This shows us how Jesus wanted us to understand his statement when he said that he would rise up "in the third day", meaning when the sun is seen that 3rd time after his death .

Jesus did not say he would rise during the 3rd night!

Now as I have already proved...the 3rd time the sun was out had to be Sunday morning when Mary was on her way to the tomb.

Remember how you said that the night was still going?
and how you felt the sun was not up yet?
And remember how I showed you that you were mistaken about that, and that the text makes it very clear that it was "after sunrise"?

Im right about this stuff...Im always right about this stuff....

Last edited by alanMolstad; 10-18-2009 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
yes it was dark because the sun had just come up!

this is shown in :

MARK 16:2"Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb"

go look it up!
Did you ever look that up to see if I was correct?

Old 10-18-2009, 07:08 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Did you ever look that up to see if I was correct?
When they got to the tomb, the sun was just coming up. Matthew 28:1 says ''Now, after the Sabbath (after the sun had set Saturday evening-it was now Sunday by the Jewish timetable) ''as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week.''

Now, the Gospel of Mark was addressed to a Gentile audience and Mark used the Gentile reckoning of time. Mark 16:2 says ''And very early on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen.'' (The sun was just now coming up. Matthew 28:1) and saw the stone ALREADY taken away from the tomb.( John 20:1) Jesus had resurrected sometime during the night and now Mary had arrived just as the sun was coming up. By looking at the three Gospels mentioned, this can be seen.

Regarding the phrase ''three days and three nights'' remember that the word ''and'' is a conjunction and joins together day and night.

But look at these links with regard to that.

The Three Days and Three Nights of Matt. 12:40 - Appendix to the Companion Bible

Three Days and Three Nights

Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 PM

Now as I have said....

I have no problem with the mid-week death on the cross.
I consider the amount of time the body of Jesus to have been in the tomb to be a moot point.

so let me say that again so everyone understands I dont have a dog in this fight,
I have no problem with the mid-week death on the cross!

The only thing I think is important is that Jesus was stone cold dead as a doornail dead.
He was dead, and that's that.

My interest in this topic is that I find the arguments of some to be rather silly.

Take the whole "3 days and 3 nights" argument.
silly, silly, silly,
This phrase is one of the main reasons that some Bible student have to twist and twist things around to allow for 72 hours in tomb time.

But the sad fact is, that they just dont know how the Jews used to count time, that is the ONLY problem
(...or else they do but they just got something mixed up in their heads)

well Im going to un-mix you about the 3-days/3-nights stuff.....

Consider this, consider how easy it is to find 3 days and 3 nights with a Friday death on the cross.

-----------------
The first rule you have to always keep in mind is that the Jews counted one small part of a 'day" as standing for the whole full 24 hour "day"

Yes, I know, "Everyone already knows about that"....

Yes, I know you have heard about this rule already.
and yes, I know you also have quoted that one rule to me many times in this topic already too....
But just to be sure we are all on the same page, let me post that most basic rule for Jewish ways of counting days again: the Jews counted one small part of a 'day" as standing for the whole full 24 hour "day"

But let me show you how it works....
Remember this is not my idea, this is just the basic way you find it talked about in most Sunday school class rooms, or in Bible footnotes and/or commentaries

(Remember:One part of the day counts as a full day...LOL)

First, what is a full day?
24 hours right?
24 hours as the Jews counted from evening to evening.

This means that right now it's 9:00 on Sunday night for me, however for a Jew the fact that the sun is down means they count this time as being already Monday.

So lets just see how this works out with a Friday death on the cross?

Jesus is nailed on the cross at about 9:00 in the morning on Friday.

When did that Friday actually start for the Jews?

Thats right, it started on what we call Thursday night after sunset.

Jesus died about 3:00 in the after noon on Friday...
(Now once again:keep in mind that Jewish counting rule that part of a day counts as a WHOLE day)..
My guess is that they had placed Jesus in the tomb about 2 hours later, so the sun was still up on Friday when the locked him inside.

Then the sun set....
Friday is over,
Lets count...remembering that one part of a day counts as a full day...
Friday started for them of thursday night,,,so thats = 1 NIGHT
Jesus was in the tomb before sunset on our Friday, so thats = 1 DAY

at sunset on our Friday thats starts the next Jewish day
so thats now the 2nd night = 2 NIGHTS

at sunrise on Saturday morning we are now into our next day
so let count that now too = 2 DAYS

Evening on our Saturday and for the Jews that is the start of yet another 24 hours day...
So we now count that here too = 3 NIGHTS

Mary and the girls are up early, the writer LUKE says that they got going right after sunrise.
So that is the beginning of another daytime,
Lets count that now here = 3 DAYS

Jesus said it was on or "in" the 3rd day that he would come back to life,,,,this means that right at sunrise Jesus must have risen from the dead after the 3 days and 3 nights he spoke about...

Now you may be reading this and thinking to yourself.
But Alan, thats not a full 72 hours!"
and that is true, but that is because of the weird way the Jews counted 'days".
it works out looking weird from our modern digital mindset, but to the Jews its normal..

Last edited by alanMolstad; 10-18-2009 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Now as I have said....

I have no problem with the mid-week death on the cross.
I consider the amount of time the body of Jesus to have been in the tomb to be a moot point.

so let me say that again so everyone understands I dont have a dog in this fight,
I have no problem with the mid-week death on the cross!

The only thing I think is important is that Jesus was stone cold dead as a doornail dead.
He was dead, and that's that.

My interest in this topic is that I find the arguments of some to be rather silly.

Take the whole "3 days and 3 nights" argument.
silly, silly, silly,
This phrase is one of the main reasons that some Bible student have to twist and twist things around to allow for 72 hours in tomb time.

But the sad fact is, that they just dont know how the Jews used to count time, that is the ONLY problem
(...or else they do but they just got something mixed up in their heads)

well Im going to un-mix you about the 3-days/3-nights stuff.....

Consider this, consider how easy it is to find 3 days and 3 nights with a Friday death on the cross.

-----------------
The first rule you have to always keep in mind is that the Jews counted one small part of a 'day" as standing for the whole full 24 hour "day"

Yes, I know, "Everyone already knows about that"....

Yes, I know you have heard about this rule already.
and yes, I know you also have quoted that one rule to me many times in this topic already too....
But just to be sure we are all on the same page, let me post that most basic rule for Jewish ways of counting days again: the Jews counted one small part of a 'day" as standing for the whole full 24 hour "day"

But let me show you how it works....
Remember this is not my idea, this is just the basic way you find it talked about in most Sunday school class rooms, or in Bible footnotes and/or commentaries

(Remember:One part of the day counts as a full day...LOL)

First, what is a full day?
24 hours right?
24 hours as the Jews counted from evening to evening.

This means that right now it's 9:00 on Sunday night for me, however for a Jew the fact that the sun is down means they count this time as being already Monday.

So lets just see how this works out with a Friday death on the cross?

Jesus is nailed on the cross at about 9:00 in the morning on Friday.

When did that Friday actually start for the Jews?

Thats right, it started on what we call Thursday night after sunset.

Jesus died about 3:00 in the after noon on Friday...
(Now once again:keep in mind that Jewish counting rule that part of a day counts as a WHOLE day)..
My guess is that they had placed Jesus in the tomb about 2 hours later, so the sun was still up on Friday when the locked him inside.

Then the sun set....
Friday is over,
Lets count...remembering that one part of a day counts as a full day...
Friday started for them of thursday night,,,so thats = 1 NIGHT
Jesus was in the tomb before sunset on our Friday, so thats = 1 DAY

at sunset on our Friday thats starts the next Jewish day
so thats now the 2nd night = 2 NIGHTS

at sunrise on Saturday morning we are now into our next day
so let count that now too = 2 DAYS

Evening on our Saturday and for the Jews that is the start of yet another 24 hours day...
So we now count that here too = 3 NIGHTS

Mary and the girls are up early, the writer LUKE says that they got going right after sunrise.
So that is the beginning of another daytime,
Lets count that now here = 3 DAYS

Jesus said it was on or "in" the 3rd day that he would come back to life,,,,this means that right at sunrise Jesus must have risen from the dead after the 3 days and 3 nights he spoke about...

Now you may be reading this and thinking to yourself.
But Alan, thats not a full 72 hours!"
and that is true, but that is because of the weird way the Jews counted 'days".
it works out looking weird from our modern digital mindset, but to the Jews its normal..
I might be wrong. But I need to make certain on what day Passover really fell that year. Because the crucifixion of Christ is related to that.

This website gives a good argument that I may in fact be wrong. But I need to do more research on it.

Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 PM

Mike, I went over the whole link you posted, and I cant find anything wrong with it.

The math the website has used is in agreement with what I posted last night...

Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 PM

55 posts, read 81,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Just use simple math and you will have your answer...Friday to Sunday does not three days and three nights make.

well if you understand the jewish day you would see the three night and days

Day # 1- Thurseday before sunset placed in the grave

night#1- Thurseday after sunset is friday to the Jewish understanding

Day# 2- Friday morn to evening

night# 2- Friday after sunset=saturday

day# 3- Saturday morn to evening

night# 3- saturday after sunset= sunday

Sunday the resurection

no where does the bible state that if has to be a full day or night just 3 days and nights. so a partial day is a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity