Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,695 times

Advertisements

I too had never heard of this either. These types of accusations are why I distance myself from evangelicals. I was raised Catholic and was never, I mean never, instructed to bow or pray to a statue. I was under the impression that the statues and pictures were there to make the church pretty. As to Mary, I was never instructed that she remained a virgin until her death, the importance was the miracle that she conceived as a virgin.

As to the praying issues, how many of us have asked friends to pray for us when we are sick, or having troubled times. To me it means that they are interceding to God on our behalf. I don't see much difference in that from saying the Hail Mary. You are just asking Mary, the mother of God, to intercede on your behalf with her son Jesus. Being raised Catholic I was never instructed to pray to anyone directly other than God. I don't know what Catholic Church others on here went to but maybe their church was vastly different from any I have ever attended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 03:49 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I don't know what Catholic Church others on here went to but maybe their church was vastly different from any I have ever attended.
My guess is that the author of the post above has been indoctrinated with a kind of Catholic hate. I say this as a non-catholic. She is throwing doodie on the wall to see what sticks. Its fairly transparent.

My quess is the author will read my posts and then reply in kind with a whole bunch of scripture and possibly some links to Youtube.. cause Jesus just loves Youtube. Next will be some link to an fundamentalist apologetics website and then the author will more than likely post that they just want to save us because the author knows everyone so well that they feel like they have the right to tell us that their way of thinking is the only way. Thats just a guess.. maybe I'm wrong... but I'd take my odds on being right to Vegas anytime.

I'm sure you understand that not all protestants think this way...

Old 04-14-2008, 04:47 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'm sure you understand that not all protestants think this way...
Yep I sure do understand that as I am now a Lutheran and no longer Catholic. It just strikes me as odd that some churchs choose to evangelize to faiths that are based on Christ. You would think they would want to find those that haven't discovered Christ and bring them to the fold. It just seems like "preaching to the choir" if you know what I mean.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corking28 View Post
I can get you this information about nuns and priests who convert.
Nuns and Priests do not read the bible while becoming nuns and Priests. They are told that they cannot read it and they study only the Catechism. In Columbia, a nun, read the New Testament and told the priest that their church goes against the bible and they threw her in a jail cell and the nuns ripped out all her hair and left her with a bloody scalp.
I am still anxiously awaiting your factual links to these atrocities, and PLEASE don't send any Chick publication links..I am talking reliable sources..Thank you..

Old 04-14-2008, 05:56 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I too had never heard of this either. These types of accusations are why I distance myself from evangelicals. I was raised Catholic and was never, I mean never, instructed to bow or pray to a statue. I was under the impression that the statues and pictures were there to make the church pretty. As to Mary, I was never instructed that she remained a virgin until her death, the importance was the miracle that she conceived as a virgin.

As to the praying issues, how many of us have asked friends to pray for us when we are sick, or having troubled times. To me it means that they are interceding to God on our behalf. I don't see much difference in that from saying the Hail Mary. You are just asking Mary, the mother of God, to intercede on your behalf with her son Jesus. Being raised Catholic I was never instructed to pray to anyone directly other than God. I don't know what Catholic Church others on here went to but maybe their church was vastly different from any I have ever attended.

I appreciate your thoughts more than you know.

But I feel compelled to say that the Church does teach Mary's perpetual virginity.

( can't keep my big mouth shut. just opened another can of worms )

Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,495,633 times
we pray to the virgin mother of GOd. she was a virgin when she concieved christ--they never say anything else, but we know she had other children--

Old 04-14-2008, 07:46 PM

216 posts, read 604,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
we pray to the virgin mother of GOd. she was a virgin when she concieved christ--they never say anything else, but we know she had other children--
I have a couple friends who were raised in the catholic faith.
While I do not know much about the catholic faith, one of the things that I could not understand was why catholics pray to the virgin Mary. The Holy Bible tells us that we can go directly to Jesus Christ and do need the virgin Mary or any other saints to intercede in our behalf. In fact the scriptures tells us that Jesus Christ intercedes in our behalf.

In Revelation 3:20, Jesus tells us, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."

So all we need to do is open the door for Jesus Christ, our Master and the Creator of the whole universe, and He will to come in. We do not need to send someone else to open the door for us.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:03 PM

FAQ's - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online
this quote is taken from this page that will help explain:
Do Catholics pray TO saints?

We pray with saints, not to them.
Have you ever asked anyone to pray for you when you were having a hard time? Why did you choose to ask that person?

You may have chosen someone you could trust, or someone who understood your problem, or someone who was close to God. Those are all reasons we ask saints to pray for us in times of trouble.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:39 PM

216 posts, read 604,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
FAQ's - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online
this quote is taken from this page that will help explain:
Do Catholics pray TO saints?

We pray with saints, not to them.
Have you ever asked anyone to pray for you when you were having a hard time? Why did you choose to ask that person?

You may have chosen someone you could trust, or someone who understood your problem, or someone who was close to God. Those are all reasons we ask saints to pray for us in times of trouble.

Yes, I have asked others to pray for me.

However, I know that when I pray I can pray directly to Jesus Christ and He hears my prayers. There is a verse in the scripture which says the prayer of a righteous person is powerful.

In James 5:16 we are told, "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
So, we should pray for each other. We are not told to pray to the virgin Mary or to any other saints who are not alive.
In James 4:14 we are told if someone is sick to call for the elders of the church and have them pray for that person.
I choose to believe in the word of God.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisTruth View Post
Yes, I have asked others to pray for me.

However, I know that when I pray I can pray directly to Jesus Christ and He hears my prayers. There is a verse in the scripture which says the prayer of a righteous person is powerful.

In James 5:16 we are told, "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
So, we should pray for each other. We are not told to pray to the virgin Mary or to any other saints who are not alive.
I choose to believe in the word of God.

i seem to recall someone complaining that catholics confess their sins to a preist--this statement that i underlined is a contradiction to that.
yes we ask for saints prayers on our behalf. i have witnessed small and large miracles thanks to saints that have prayed on our behalf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity