Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 AM

33,236 posts, read 26,455,707 times

Advertisements

Salvation by works of any kind is rejected by God. To add any works to your faith in Christ as Savior for salvation, is to trust in two Saviors. Christ, and your works. It is an insult to God and a rejection of the once for all sacrifice of Christ on the Cross. The Bible is very specific. ''Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.'' (Acts 16:31) To believe means to put your trust in Christ for your salvation. It is a realization that you can do nothing to merit your own salvation. It means to understand that it is what Christ did on the Cross that secures your salvation. To believe in Christ means that you understand and are relying on the work of Christ on the Cross in paying the penalty for our sins, and that He died and rose again. Works are an intrusion on the grace of God. And it is tantamount to not trusting in Christ for your salvation.

Here is a link that describes various forms of works that result in no salvation.

Salvation by Works (http://jrcyouth.com/love5.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Salvation by works of any kind is rejected by God. To add any works to your faith in Christ as Savior for salvation, is to trust in two Saviors. Christ, and your works. It is an insult to God and a rejection of the once for all sacrifice of Christ on the Cross. The Bible is very specific. ''Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.'' (Acts 16:31) To believe means to put your trust in Christ for your salvation. It is a realization that you can do nothing to merit your own salvation. It means to understand that it is what Christ did on the Cross that secures your salvation. To believe in Christ means that you understand and are relying on the work of Christ on the Cross in paying the penalty for our sins, and that He died and rose again. Works are an intrusion on the grace of God. And it is tantamount to not trusting in Christ for your salvation.

Here is a link that describes various forms of works that result in no salvation.

Salvation by Works (http://jrcyouth.com/love5.htm - broken link)
Do you like ignoring countless verses in the bible? Is it a fun game to you?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Yeah but there are "works" that are imperative to our salvation....the work it takes to remain sin free. It requires constant vigilance in this world. But I agree that there is nothing WE can do to "earn" our salvation, our works must be in addition to our belief and because we want to do as the Lord directs and to please Him.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:54 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
The confusion here is probably the result of not understanding what 'salvation' means in the first place. Maybe?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:54 AM

11,259 posts, read 11,028,294 times
"Inviting Christ into your heart: This is total nonsense and blasphemy. A spiritually dead person cannot invite Eternal God, The Lord Jesus Christ, anywhere; not into his heart, or his home, or his life. It is stupidity, asininity, emotion, and works."

All right then. How do non believers come to meet the Lord than? This is the first step according to every Christian church I have ever attended. I may not currently walk the walk, but I know what I was raised on.

Blasphemy is a strong word. A spiritually dead person needs God to overcome the issues in his/her life. I was taught that God does not hear the prayers of the unsaved, with one exception: the first one that throws down their inequities at the feet of God and asks for his guidence and eternal salvation. Is this not where it all starts?

Baby Christians are exactly that. I was taught that God assists you with your walk only after you have confessed your sins and given your life over to him.

Just for the record, I agree with all the other points the thread link makes, just not this one.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
"Inviting Christ into your heart: This is total nonsense and blasphemy. A spiritually dead person cannot invite Eternal God, The Lord Jesus Christ, anywhere; not into his heart, or his home, or his life. It is stupidity, asininity, emotion, and works."

All right then. How do non believers come to meet the Lord than? This is the first step according to every Christian church I have ever attended. I may not currently walk the walk, but I know what I was raised on.

Blasphemy is a strong word. A spiritually dead person needs God to overcome the issues in his/her life. I was taught that God does not hear the prayers of the unsaved, with one exception: the first one that throws down their inequities at the feet of God and asks for his guidence and eternal salvation. Is this not where it all starts?

Baby Christians are exactly that. I was taught that God assists you with your walk only after you have confessed your sins and given your life over to him.

Just for the record, I agree with all the other points the thread link makes, just not this one.
I agree. There must be that first step or no step is taken at all. I didn't read the link but this is a pretty harsh and asinine statement in itself.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Do you like ignoring countless verses in the bible? Is it a fun game to you?
This is very serious business. It is imperative that you understand that grace and works are not compatable. I am providing Biblical principles that need to be understood. But I can only provide it. I cannot make you understand it.

You can easily research any verse that you think is telling you that salvation can be lost. Simply google it, and you will find all kinds of information. I have already provided a lot of information on many of those verses.

I fully realize that there are many people who will not come to an understanding of the grace of God related to salvation. I realize that there are those who think that they can impress God with their works. The Bible says otherwise.

This information is for those to whom it will make a difference.

Understand that in relying on your works to save you, instead of on the work of Christ on the Cross, you are in fact going to be standing before the Great White Throne Judgment and finding out that it is your works that are the basis for your eternal condemnation in the lake of fire. Revelaton 20:11-15

Titus 3:5 makes it clear. ''He saved us not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior.

Since you can't be saved by your works, then neither can you maintain your salvation by your works.

Here is what God thinks of human good works.

Isaiah 64:6 ''But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.''

Phil. 3:9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith.

Romans 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? ''And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.'' 4) Now to the one who works, his wage is not reckoned as a favor, but as what is due. 5) But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness.

The Bible is absolutely clear on the matter. Works have no place in salvation. You either rely on Christ for your salvation, or you rely on your works for salvation. And if you rely on your works for salvation, you lose for all eternity. You will spend all eternity in the lake of fire with the devil and his angels, because you rejected the grace plan of God for your salvation.

Consider these things carefully.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

God invites you to come to Him through faith in Christ. You do not invite Christ into your heart for salvation. The unbeliever is spiritually dead. Therefore, inviting Christ to come into the heart of a spiritualy dead person, is to invite Christ into a trash heap. A spiritually dead person can't do anything for his salvation, including inviting Christ anywhere. All a spiritually dead person can do is to initate an act of faith in Christ which the Holy Spirit will carry to the point of salvation. Inviting Christ is works. Believing in Christ is the divinely mandated means of appropriating salvation based on the work of Christ on the Cross.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:13 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
All a spiritually dead person can do is to initate an act of faith in Christ which the Holy Spirit will carry to the point of salvation.
I see that you have trimmed down the works to a tiny sliver. But I have yet to see a dead person initiate anything, have you?

A Calvinist is going to come along and bust you on that one.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
God invites you to come to Him through faith in Christ. You do not invite Christ into your heart for salvation. The unbeliever is spiritually dead. Therefore, inviting Christ to come into the heart of a spiritualy dead person, is to invite Christ into a trash heap. A spiritually dead person can't do anything for his salvation, including inviting Christ anywhere. All a spiritually dead person can do is to initate an act of faith in Christ which the Holy Spirit will carry to the point of salvation. Inviting Christ is works. Believing in Christ is the divinely mandated means of appropriating salvation based on the work of Christ on the Cross.
Pardon me, but that's a load of crap.

Matthew 22:37
Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'

Mark 2:8
Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, "Why are you thinking these things?

Luke 5:22
Jesus knew what they were thinking and asked, "Why are you thinking these things in your hearts?

Do you not know how important the HEART is in the Bible and how many times it is mentioned? IMO, the heart houses the soul and Jesus was and still is very aware of what is in our hearts. One MUST accept Him into their HEART, or they remain spiritually dead.

Look at the above verse.....Jesus didn't ask "why are you thinking these things in your "head" did he? And how exactly can we "think" things in our "hearts"? Because the mind, body and soul begin and end with the heart. That's why I would never, ever have a heart transplant or donate mine to someone else.

You have it all screwed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity