Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the two philosophies is the worst, i.e. the most harmful?
Atheism: There is no God. 24 48.00%
Universalism: God intends to save all of humanity. 26 52.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 04:25 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times

Advertisements

They're equally destructive, as their respective teachings have sent, and are sending, many to hell. I'm sure both atheists and universalists alike are shocked when they lift up their eyes in hell's torment. It's sad, but people reap what they sow; they can only blame themselves. God is longsuffering toward us trying to reason with us. God is also fair and just; He deems sin to be so detestable that He made a hell for those who won't accept His truth, love, righteousness and holy living. If you reject any of these things, then you reject the true God. And, since you reject God, then there is no other place for you but hell. You made your own bed and you will have to lie in it.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:29 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
They're equally destructive, as their respective teachings have sent, and are sending, many to hell. I'm sure both atheists and universalists alike are shocked when they lift up their eyes in hell's torment. It's sad, but people reap what they sow; they can only blame themselves. God is longsuffering toward us trying to reason with us. God is also fair and just; He deems sin to be so detestable that He made a hell for those who won't accept His truth, love, righteousness and holy living. If you reject any of these things, then you reject the true God. And, since you reject God, then there is no other place for you but hell. You made your own bed and you will have to lie in it.
SC-

Who named sin? Who created Sin? Who is the only one who can wash away sin? God..right?

Yet it is the human's who burn eternally because God doesn't want to or won't clean them?

If I were God... I would just clean em up and welcome them into my arms.

Interesting.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:29 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,042 times
Quote:
They're equally destructive, as their respective teachings have sent, and are sending, many to hell.
Are you suggesting that these scriptural truths are sending people to hell:

That - “The true light gives light to every man.” John 1:9
That - the Lamb of God “takes away the sin of the world.” John 1:29
That - the Son was sent to “save the world.” John 3:17
That - Jesus “will draw all men” to himself . John 12:32
That - Jesus came “to save” the world. John 12:47
That - all “are justified freely by his grace.” Romans 3:23, 24
That - “one act of righteousness” brings “life for all men.” Romans 5:18
That - God “has bound all men . . . so that he may have mercy on” all of them. Romans 11:32
That - “all will be made alive.” 1 Corinthians 15:22
That - “one died for all, and therefore all died.” 2 Corinthians 5:14
That - God does not count “men's sins against them.” 2 Corinthians 5:19
That - every tongue will “confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.” Philippians 2:10, 11
That - through his Son God has reconciled “all things” to himself. Colossians 1:20
That - Christ Jesus “gave himself a ransom for all men.” 1 Timothy 2:6
That - God “is the Savior of all men.” 1 Timothy 4:10
That - God's grace “has appeared for the salvation of all men.” Titus 2:11
That - Jesus tasted “death for everyone.” Hebrews 2:9
That - Jesus is the atoning sacrifice for our sins and “for the sins of the whole world.” 1 John 2:2

And that these scriptures God has instructed us to teach:

1Ti 4:11 Charge these things, and teach;

Are these the teachings you're speaking of? Is that your testimony before us today?

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 02-20-2010 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
Quote:
^^^^

See what I mean here? This is just PRIDE talking.

scgraham thinks if someone goes to hell, its their own fault. Likewise this also means if someone goes to heaven, its to their credit.

scgraham also thinks universalists will go to hell, even though most universalists on this board are CHRISTIAN universalists who believe Jesus died for their sins.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddythreepointoh View Post
Wow, wow, WOW!!! Am I to understand that almost as many Christians think that believing God intends to save everyone is MORE HARMFUL than someone NOT believing said God exists?

Are we being serious?

I mean honestly, have any of you stepped back and thought about your answer? You think not believing in God is LESS DAMAGING than believing He intends to save all? I mean, even if you don't believe that He will, the Bible does make it clear that God WANTS to, without argument. So you think that God literally doing what He wants is WORSE than not believing He exists?

I am so blown away by this I can't even coherently argue this right now! Spgh, ugh, guck....
This was pretty much my reaction as well...

I think I even actually said "Spgh, ugh, guck..." out loud.

'tis madness.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 AM

Teaching against God's word in any form is heresy; heresy is a work of the flesh. Those who walk according to their flesh have no part in the kingdom of God. And, since they have no part in God's kingdom, their only inheritance is hell.

Galatians 5
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Universalism is in stark contrast to the Word. Those who teach this heresy are headed to hell, unless they turn from this work of the flesh. It is written.

As for atheism, it doesn't even believe in sin, so they're all headed to hell too. People are in for a rude awakening. It's time to humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God so we can receive His love and mercy -- but it must be in complete truth. God doesn't work with deceit, and the teaching of atheism and universalism is just that.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
It's time to humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God so we can receive His love and mercy -- but it must be in complete truth.
So it's kind of like a test where you have to get 100% correct, right? You can't just have given it your best effort and done very well. Furthermore, it appears that a large portion of the test concerns correctly determining who, besides you, God is going to elect to save and who He's going to decide to damn. If you get those numbers wrong, and think he's going to be more merciful than He ends up being, you'll be among those He condemns to an eternity of suffering for getting the wrong answer. Thank God my God isn't like that!

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-21-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So it's kind of like a test where you have to get 100% correct, right? You can't just have given it your best effort and done very well. If you got any of the answers wrong, God will be so disgusted with you that He'll punish you with an eternity of suffering. So much for devotion, obedience and faithfulness. Basically we are saved by having a perfect understanding of "the complete truth."
If one has God's Holy Spirit, He leads them into all truth -- not deceit. The devil will give you a good fooling if you're not vigilant. The devil is a master deceiver, and he uses these teachings of universalism and atheism to deceive.

1 Peter 5
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

2 Corinthians 11
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Ephesians 5
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
If one has God's Holy Spirit, He leads them into all truth -- not deceit. The devil will give you a good fooling if you're not vigilant. The devil is a master deceiver, and he uses these teachings of universalism and atheism to deceive.
And how do you know that you have all truth and haven't been deceived yourself?

(By the way, I was revising my post as you were commenting on it. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on my revisions.)

Old 02-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And how do you know that you have all truth and haven't been deceived yourself?

(By the way, I was revising my post as you were commenting on it. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on my revisions.)
The Word is our road map; we must study in order to rightly divide the truth too; we can't take a few scriptures and make a doctrine out of it. The Bible is to be studied from the beginning to the end to rightly divide the truth. We must examine ourselves too. We can know if the devil is trying to lead us into deceit.

God's truth does not tickle one's ears; it's sound. Universalism and atheism, however, are doctrines that tickles one's ears. God warned us about such teachings.

2 Timothy 4
1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity