Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 PM

701 posts, read 800,667 times

Advertisements

What scriptural basis is there for the idea of the Rapture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 08:58 PM

420 posts, read 805,257 times
None.

It's a man-made belief of the 19th century. There's a reason why outside the US it is looked upon as silliness.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:07 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
First, learn something about dispensations...

Dispensations In The Bible

The dispensation of the church is terminated by the rapture or resurrection of the church into heaven prior to and for the duration of the Tribulation. The raptured church-the bride of Christ, is seen in heaven in Revelation 19:7-8 just after having appeared at the judgment seat of Christ (1 Cor 3:12-15; 2 Cor. 5:10; Romans 14:10-12) and just before returning to the earth with Christ at His Second Advent. (Revelation 19:11-16)

The word rapture is not found in the Bible but is simply terminology for the event which is found in the Bible. The first mention of the rapture is from Jesus Himself in John 14:1-3.

John 14:1-3 'Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me, 2) ''In My Father's house (a reference to heaven) are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you, 3) ''And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.'

Other verses are 1 Thess 4:13-17; 1 Cor. 15:51-53; Phil 3:21.

The church must be taken off the earth before the Tribulation can begin. The church has nothing at all to do with the Tribulation which is God's final judgment on Israel for the purpose of causing the Jews to recogize that Jesus Christ is the Messiah that they rejected.

Here is another thread regarding the rapture...

Regarding the Pre-Tribulational Rapture

The doctrine of the rapture is explained at this site...

The Rapture of the Church

You might also find this site useful...

Rapture Ready - Rapture resource for the end times

Last edited by Michael Way; 04-17-2010 at 09:25 PM..

Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM

701 posts, read 800,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
First, learn something about dispensations...

Dispensations In The Bible

The dispensation of the church is terminated by the rapture or resurrection of the church into heaven prior to and for the duration of the Tribulation. The raptured church-the bride of Christ, is seen in heaven in Revelation 19:7-8 just after having appeared at the judgment seat of Christ (1 Cor 3:12-15; 2 Cor. 5:10; Romans 14:10-12) and just before returning to the earth with Christ at His Second Advent. (Revelation 19:11-16)

The word rapture is not found in the Bible but is simply terminology for the event which is found in the Bible. The first mention of the rapture is from Jesus Himself in John 14:1-3.

John 14:1-3 'Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me, 2) ''In My Father's house (a reference to heaven) are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you, 3) ''And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.'

Other verses are 1 Thess 4:13-17; 1 Cor. 15:51-53; Phil 3:21.

The church must be taken off the earth before the Tribulation can begin. The church has nothing at all to do with the Tribulation which is God's final judgment on Israel for the purpose of causing the Jews to recogize that Jesus Christ is the Messiah that they rejected.

Here is another thread regarding the rapture...

Regarding the Pre-Tribulational Rapture

The doctrine of the rapture is explained at this site...

The Rapture of the Church

You might also find this site useful...

Rapture Ready - Rapture resource for the end times
I am well aware of the history behind the idea of the rapture and the fallacies that it is built upon, and it saddens me that so many Christians are caught up in such a deception. The 7 year time of trouble that is so often referenced in relationship to the rapture, stems from a scriptural misconception about a particular 7 year timespan prophesied about in Daniel. This 7 year span is misapplied to some time in the future, when in actually it was referencing the period of time between the start of Christ's public ministry to the time that the Gospel went out to the gentiles. Please take a look at this site Secret Rapture Truth - Bible Prophecy as it goes through text by text the errancy in the rapture idea. You are correct that we will be caught up to meet Christ in the clouds, but that event happens in a visible way and in conjunction with His 2nd coming and the resurrection of those Christians who died before His coming.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
I am well aware of the history behind the idea of the rapture and the fallacies that it is built upon, and it saddens me that so many Christians are caught up in such a deception. The 7 year time of trouble that is so often referenced in relationship to the rapture, stems from a scriptural misconception about a particular 7 year timespan prophesied about in Daniel. This 7 year span is misapplied to some time in the future, when in actually it was referencing the period of time between the start of Christ's public ministry to the time that the Gospel went out to the gentiles. Please take a look at this site Secret Rapture Truth - Bible Prophecy as it goes through text by text the errancy in the rapture idea. You are correct that we will be caught up to meet Christ in the clouds, but that event happens in a visible way and in conjunction with His 2nd coming and the resurrection of those Christians who died before His coming.
I've given you accurate information. If the fact that the raptured church is in Heaven in Revelation 19:7-8 doesn't cause any lights to come on then nothing else will either. The rapture and the Second Advent are two separate events.The Tribulation is indeed a seven year time span which separates the two. It is the last seven years remaining to the age of Israel. Read the thread I just posted on the Olivet Discourse.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
There is not seven year tribulation in Daniel 12:11-12....``And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away and the abomination that maketh desolation set up there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days..........Blessed is he that waiteth and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days `````..... does not say seven years here as the interpetation of some teachers, but what it does say it the abomination wiil occur for 1290 days, then blessed are them that wait 1335 days that is FORTY FIVE MORE DAYS after the abomination of desolation have ended...... in Revelations 12: 6 another scripture for the rapture is``` the Woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days``......with is 1290 days... Who is this Woman? The Woman is the presence of the Lord God in the earth, which is Holy Spirit and the Bride and Body of Christ.....Jesus ministry from his baptism to the cross was around 1280 days, do you believe that Jesus can rap up his second coming in the same time as his first coming.?.............

Old 04-18-2010, 05:16 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
1Th 4:13-18 "Now we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren,
concerning those who are reposing, lest you may sorrow according as the
rest, also, who have no expectation." (14) For, if we are believing that
Jesus died and rose, thus also, those who are put to repose, will God,
through Jesus, lead forth together with Him." (15) For this we are saying
to you by the word of the Lord, that we, the living, who are surviving to
the presence of the Lord, should by no means outstrip those who are put
to repose, (16) for the Lord Himself will be descending from heaven with
a shout of command, with the voice of the Chief Messenger, and with the
trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ shall be rising first, (17)
Thereupon we, the living who are surviving, shall at the same time be
snatched away together with them in clouds, to meet the Lord in the air.
And thus shall we always be together with the Lord." (18) So that,
console one another with these words."

Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
There is not seven year tribulation in Daniel 12:11-12....``And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away and the abomination that maketh desolation set up there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days..........Blessed is he that waiteth and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days `````..... does not say seven years here as the interpetation of some teachers, but what it does say it the abomination wiil occur for 1290 days, then blessed are them that wait 1335 days that is FORTY FIVE MORE DAYS after the abomination of desolation have ended...... in Revelations 12: 6 another scripture for the rapture is``` the Woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days``......with is 1290 days... Who is this Woman? The Woman is the presence of the Lord God in the earth, which is Holy Spirit and the Bride and Body of Christ.....Jesus ministry from his baptism to the cross was around 1280 days, do you believe that Jesus can rap up his second coming in the same time as his first coming.?.............

Daniel 12:11-12 refers to the midway point of the 7 year Tribulation. At the beginning of the Tribulation, the antichrist will make a covenant with Israel, the details of which are not given (Dan. 9:27), but which will bring about a period of peace between Israel and her neighbors. The covenant will be broken after 3 1/2 years and the last half of the Tribulation which is refered to as the great Tribulation begins. The antichrist will put an end to the animal sacrifices in the middle of the Tribulation-- the middle of the week-- 3 1/2 years (Dan. 9:27; 12:11) This signals the beginning of the abomination of desolation of which Christ spoke in Matthew 24:15.

This is a signal for the Jews in the city to flee to the mountains for as is recorded in Matthew 24:21-22 'there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever shall.'
During this time, two thirds of the Israelites will be killed as recorded in (Zech 13:8). The last 3 1/2 year time period of the tribulation is mentioned in Daniel 7:25; 12:7, and Revelation 13:5 where of the antichrist it says 'And there was given to him a mouth speaking arrogant words and blasphemies; and authority to act for forty-two months was given to him.'

Concerning Revelation 12, I will simply direct you here...

Revelation 12 - The Woman, the Child, and the Dragon

Old 04-18-2010, 09:07 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
The Rapture was already invoked by John Boehner to prevent the passage of Health Care. All the true Christians are gone.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:55 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Aren't those that predict such things fervently just diviners anyway? Only the naive would proclaim to know what Christ himself thought not important enough to know considering if he had asked God he would have been given what he asked for.

IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity