Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've never understood what he stands for. I know he represents something about the Catholic Church but other than that I have no idea. Ever since I was a kid I heard and seen news about the Pope. But I have no idea what he does and what exactly makes him more holy than anyone else? People look at him like God or something. I see various women and children crying when he comes to their country. I see them kissing his ring. And that Golden Cup he has. I read about a golden cup in the bible that is suppose to represent the filth of babylon or something like that. I don't understand why he would have something like that in his possession knowing full well what the bible says about it. Need some insight on this please! Thanks.
Good grief. I'm not a Catholic, but I really hate this kind of nonsense. Google is your friend.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Where does it state in the Bible that Peter was the head of the Church?...
Jesus laid it out. He spoke with Peter and compared Peter's name [which is the word for tiny pebble].

You Peter are a pebble, but on this ROCK [Christ himself] would He build his church.

A quick review of the entire Bible lays to rest quickly, exactly who Jesus was saying the ROCK is.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:12 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
ask the british whats the pupose of a monarch

many people draw strength from the concept of a figurehead , its not important how valid their reasons are

Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
Shalom!
The pope is a matter of the RCC and their members. He is not the head of the body of Christ, which is our Lord Jesus Christ, nor the Vicar of Jesus Christ here on earth. The history of the Papacy forbits such a claim. I think a pope and what the RCC has made of it is not scripture and should not be followed by any other church. If there is a pope in the bible as Catholics claim, let us look at the first one, the Apostle Peter. He was a man of one wife, a good tradition the RCC should follow, they would have less problems. He was not suprior over the other apostles, the Apostle Paulus rebuked him of hypocresy, he was not excommunicated, the RCC could learn from it. The first pope was the apostle of the circumcission, the Jews, sent by Jesus to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. The sign of Israel is the Sabbath, I do not think the RCC has anything to do with the first Church, which was only Jewish. The claim they have the traditions of 2000 years cannot stand in face of pagan feasts instead of biblical feasts. I do not believe that Peter allowed anyone to kneel before him and kiss his hands, a ring surely came later, it would be interesting what is written on that ring? Rev 14:7and Rev 22:9 says that we shall only worship God. But if the RCC has made the pope to a god, which they have and never renounced, than this is idolatry what people do that kneel before the pope and kiss his ring, Catholics and others it does not matter. Kiss the Son Ps 2:12. That the RCC is not the true Israel of God proofs their many statues of saints and Mary, the Jewish law forbits any images. I do not believe that Peter was praying to Mary nor bow down before her. He preached it not. We can see the great difference between the first pope and his followers.
God bless!
You obviously have no clue about RCC , you seriously need to research it ......let's start by Catholics do not pray to Mary or any saints for that matter and the Pope is not a god ......

Old 03-17-2013, 07:30 PM

889 posts, read 825,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Good grief. I'm not a Catholic, but I really hate this kind of nonsense. Google is your friend.
..and Google is your enemy. Be careful.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM

889 posts, read 825,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Jesus laid it out. He spoke with Peter and compared Peter's name [which is the word for tiny pebble].

You Peter are a pebble, but on this ROCK [Christ himself] would He build his church.

A quick review of the entire Bible lays to rest quickly, exactly who Jesus was saying the ROCK is.
First of all, petros and petra were synonyms in first century Koine Greek in which most of the new Testament was written. Second, most believe that Matthew was first written in Aramaic. Third, and most importantly, Jesus spoke Aramaic and said "You are Kepha and on Kepha I will build on my Church". It became Petros (Peter) when it was translated to Greek.

The Catholics, the Orthodox, and many protestants unequivocably believe that Peter was THE ROCK in Matthew 16. As God changed Abrahm name to Abraham, which means father of multitudes, Jesus converted Simon's name to Peter when He gave Peter the keys to the kingdom of heaven and made Peter the head of His Church.

You need to separate yourself from the misinformation given to you by protestants with an agenda and no love of truth if it doesn't fit their purpose.

Last edited by GoodToBeHome; 03-17-2013 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
First of all, petros and petra were synonyms in first century Koine Greek in which most of the new Testament was written. Second, most believe that Matthew was first written in Aramaic. Third, and most importantly, Jesus spoke Aramaic and said "You are Kepha and on Kepha I will build on my Church". It became Petros (Peter) when it was translated to Greek.

The Catholics, the Orthodox, and many protestants unequivocably believe that Peter was THE ROCK in Matthew 16. As God changed Abrahm name to Abraham, which means father of multitudes, Jesus converted Simon's name to Peter when He gave Peter the keys to the kingdom of heaven and made Peter the head of His Church.

You need to separate yourself from the misinformation given to you by protestants with an agenda and no love of truth if it doesn't fit their purpose.
wish i could rep you--great post!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
You obviously have no clue about RCC , you seriously need to research it ......let's start by Catholics do not pray to Mary or any saints for that matter and the Pope is not a god ......
I am sorry, Catholics pray to Mary. They told, that after they are baptised in the Holy Spirit they can better pray to Mary. The RCC dogma says that Mary is mediator between man and God, the bible says it is the man (High Priest )Jesus. Mary has no redeeming power, is not a virgin, she was married to Joseph and had children after Jesus (Jakob, Simeon and Jude) and she is not divine. I think you have to study the history of Papasy, that there where some proclaimed God is mentioned in this thread, the RCC never renounced it.
I was in the worldwide gathering of the charismatic Catholics, I partisipated in a prozession with a shrine of Mary. I repented of idolatry, because this Mary is not the mother of Jeshua, she is in Heaven and weeps over the foolishness of Gods people who perish out of lack of knowledge. You search it out before it is too late.
God bless

Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
I am sorry, Catholics pray to Mary. They told, that after they are baptised in the Holy Spirit they can better pray to Mary. The RCC dogma says that Mary is mediator between man and God, the bible says it is the man (High Priest )Jesus. Mary has no redeeming power, is not a virgin, she was married to Joseph and had children after Jesus (Jakob, Simeon and Jude) and she is not divine. I think you have to study the history of Papasy, that there where some proclaimed God is mentioned in this thread, the RCC never renounced it.
I was in the worldwide gathering of the charismatic Catholics, I partisipated in a prozession with a shrine of Mary. I repented of idolatry, because this Mary is not the mother of Jeshua, she is in Heaven and weeps over the foolishness of Gods people who perish out of lack of knowledge. You search it out before it is too late.
God bless

while growing up , i was taught to say the " hail mary "

more of an anthem of praise than a prayer of the request kind

whats so offensive about that anyway

Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times
Quote:
God bless
As a cradle Catholic , and having more than a dozen of pilgrims to Lourdes behind me , I can say without any hesitation that you do not pray to Mary or any saints for that matter . She is virgin and therefore unique in a sense that she was born without the original sin , so she could give birth to Jesus .Only God is divine , Mary is the blessed one or holy ..........this is catechism 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity