Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:45 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God has decreed that during the dispensation of the Church, He communicates ONLY through His written word.
So very hugely strongly disagree, it's not even funny.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:52 PM

33,234 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I've never heard anyone say the bible is dead letters in a book. Just curious where you've heard that terminology.
Ironmaw. 'On the Thread: 'The Believers Salvation is Eternally Secure'. Post #29.'

''Im not ignoring that, i am disagreeing with your interpretation of it. Yes, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Who is the spoken word of God? Christ is ... He is the one that opens our ears so that we can hear what the spirit is saying. Not the dead letters written in a book.''

Also, there's a certain fella on the forum who fancies himself to be a mystical type who likes to use the term. Or something similar.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
God always preserves His written word down through history. The Bible is inerrant in the original lanquages. The fact that there are poor translations in no way negates the reality that we still have the early manuscripts. Not the originals, but the early manuscripts. There are good translations along with the bad.

The Bible, as the word of God, and therefore the revelation of absolute truth, has always been under Satanic attack. One facet of that attack is to introduce and circulate watered down and deliberately altered versions of it.

But the word of God lives and abides forever.

Best Bible Translation
Well how come if God always preserves what you consider to be His word , how come the light of the gospel almost flickered out in the dark ages ?.

Truth has never been written on a rock or paper ,truth is the reality of God himself in our hearts , anything else is just intellectual head knowlege.

Truth for us is when our lives reflect the reality of Him in our lives

II Corinthians 3:2, 3 -- Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:46 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
So very hugely strongly disagree, it's not even funny.
Little Elmer you made this comment in light of a claim that God communicates only through his written word.

I agree with you here in every way. Spend some time as a believer walking anywhere without a bible to read and I seriously would find it sad that any one would say that they would not get messages, direction, or inspiration in some way through other means.

I find no thought in my heart of criticism, or argument, or anything but a prayer that anyone like that would see some kind of communication from God even through a flower they walk by when taking a walk.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Spend some time as a believer walking anywhere without a bible to read and I seriously would find it sad that any one would say that they would not get messages, direction, or inspiration in some way through other means.
Amen

Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
God has decreed that during the dispensation of the Church, He communicates ONLY through His written word.
I actually believe rulers, authorities, the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms of the church hierarchy have decreed the above statement.

The Sons of God are led by the Holy Spirit within them . Flesh and blood has not revealed this unto you Peter but my Father in heaven.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well how come if God always preserves what you consider to be His word , how come the light of the gospel almost flickered out in the dark ages ?.
What I consider??? The passages which attest to the fact that the Bible is the word of God have already been given.

Despite all Satan's efforts to destroy the Bible, God preserved it. Just as He also preserved the human race when Satan almost destroyed true humanity by the angelic infiltration of the human race in Genesis 6.

Quote:
Truth has never been written on a rock or paper ,truth is the reality of God himself in our hearts , anything else is just intellectual head knowlege.
God is truth and His word is truth.

2 Tim 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Quote:
Truth for us is when our lives reflect the reality of Him in our lives
Truth is truth regardless of if a person is oriented to it or not.

Quote:
II Corinthians 3:2, 3 -- Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

When Paul says 'letter' in these passages, it is a reference to the law. The following passages I have included here show this. These passages have nothing to do with whether or not the Bible is the word of God. The contrast in these verses is between the law and the new life in Jesus Christ.

See Link...

2 Corinthians 3:2 You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody.

2 Corinthians 3:3 You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

2Cr 3:6
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

2 Cor3:6 is again the contrast between the letter of the Law, and the Gospel.

The letter of the law kills those who don't obey it's commands. The law couldn't make man perfect. The Gospel on the other hand is the means of eternal life to those who believe it.

Again, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Bible as the word of God. Not a thing.

See Link...

2 Corinthians 3:6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Romans 7:6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Rom 7:6 is dealing with the Mosaic law. It has to do with being set free from it. It has nothing to do with the Scriptures as the word of God. The New Testament Scriptures have nothing to do with the law.

See Link...

Romans 7:6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Rom 2:29
But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Rom 2:29 has no connection whatsoever with the Bible as the word of God. The passage is dealing with the distinction between a true Jew (a Jew who has believed in Christ) and a Jew who hasn't believed. It has to do with being born again as opposed to simply observing external ceremonies.

See Link...

Romans 2:29 No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I actually believe rulers, authorities, the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms of the church hierarchy have decreed the above statement.

The Sons of God are led by the Holy Spirit within them . Flesh and blood has not revealed this unto you Peter but my Father in heaven.
The Holy Spirit indwells the body of the church-age believer. But He uses the doctrine in the soul of the believer which was transfered from the pages of the written word, to guide the believer. The Holy Spirit does not guide apart from God's word in the soul of the believer. It's not a complicated thing to understand.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Mike your posts on this are awesome and right on! Paul said all Scripture is the infallible inerrant Word of the Heavenly Father. It's not some mixture of history, poetry, and narrative which God allowed to be tainted by human error.
1 Peter 1:21 tells us it the Holy Spirit moved the prophets to speak from God.
It really saddens me to read what people are saying about the Bible.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
The problem is not with living letters. It is with the dead minds reading them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity