Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathseeker View Post
I miss this old Dart with the Slant six engine and was excited to hear that the name was being revived until I saw the new model which looks nothing like the original Dart of the 60s and 70s that had the indestructible slant 6 engine. Not that I'm surprised, but I expected the new Dart to at least be as similar to its vintage counterpart as the Charger and Challengers are to theirs.
Anyway, I'm curious as to what other Mopar enthusiasts think of the new dart and how they think it stacks up to the original.

Drove a used Dodge Dart all through college. Butt ugly but reliable. USA all the way I thought.

But everything else I bought new and American made had me foaming at the mouth.

In the end moved to Japanese cars and never looked back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
I didn't realize how much the new Dart looks like the Neon. I can't unsee it now.

LOL! Sorry about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I am about to go to bed, but I want to post more on this car tomorrow, but for now, the latest IIHS crash tests are out for the Dart and it has received some impressive ratings!

'13 Dart - (it also got high ratings in side crash and roof strength test)

IIHS-HLDI: Dodge Dart

'95 Neon in comparison -

For the record, I don't think it's going to be a bad little car at all. I know it's much safer and out preforms the Neon in every catagory. I just can't get over how much they look the same.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
CR's loved the 68 and 71 Darts. the 68 was top rated and also had the distinction of having a ride under full load that was actually better then the Cadillac Sedan De Ville of the same year. the Dart also boasted more interior room than the other compacts

speaking of the Dart, CR's tested a Dart Custom 318 V8 in 73. it's fuel economy figures were 10-20 in normal driving and 15 on a 300 mile trip

do you think that's good for a compact V8, average or poor?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
My 2 cents on the new Dart.....

First off the new Dart needs a Hemi. Just like the old Darts came with when the drag version was ordered.

Yes the new Dart might beat the pants off of an old Dart by leaps and bounds.....however IMO it's silly to tarnish an old car name by slapping it on a newer car. Sure maybe Chrysler still owns the rights to the Dart name. What they aren't creative to come up with a new name?

Besides......there's also the joke of "Dart" is an acronym for "dirty ass rat turd". Critics refer to the car as a "Dog Fart". May or may not affect some.

But lets think about this.....the original Dart, as we all know, was a low buck economy car. Meaning it was a car for someone who wanted a good car, but on a budget.

So is the new Dart going to carry on the old Dart tradidion of basic transportation? Or is it going to be laoded with GPS, heater mirrors and all the other fancy gadgets?

Something says the latter will be the case.

Also, most have said how the old Dart was boring and lackluster....depends on who you are. Yes it was a boxy square bodied car. Personally I think the 1967-69 Darts were very nice looking. 1970 and up not so much.

However, keep this in mind for all you old Dart critics...they did also make a "sport" version of the Dart from 1973 (I think) thru 1976. It was a renamed Dodge Demon, but still.

I'm all for a new car but not all for an old car name going on a new car. JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
That's a 1969 Chevy Nova SS....

Even says so on the web page you took the image from:

Chevrolet Nova Internet Source Nova History

How do we know it's an SS?

The chrome hood louvers.....
Only thing is....anyone can "add" louvers to any Nova. 1968-71's it's hard to tell an SS from a non SS unless you have a build sheet.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,058 times
Dedicated to the people of NW Indiana and the Chicago area........

Mr. Norm Interview, Pt. 1 - How the '68 Dart GSS Was Created - YouTube

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
I wonder if some here would be happier if the car was named after some past Dodge turbo cars like the Shadow, Charger, or Omni GLH?

Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 AM

Maybe the Shadow. Not the Charger, and if the Omni came back, I wouldn't be happy unless it looked like an Omni. lol

Those things were pretty impressive though, for what they were.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Maybe the Shadow. Not the Charger, and if the Omni came back, I wouldn't be happy unless it looked like an Omni. lol

Those things were pretty impressive though, for what they were.
They could have made it a hatch and called it an Omni. As a sedan, the Shadow would work.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:09 AM

No....this, or nothing at all. lol

Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I would kind of like to have a '66-67 Dart with a decent suspension, a 340 V-8 and a modern 5 speed overdrive tranny.

Back in the late '60's I had a Dart as a company car and drove the tires off the thing. IIRC fronts lasted less than 10,000 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram