Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
On the engine, I'm not sure to be honest since it's been so many years ago, I know I bought the car from a used car lot and the 318 was the engine it had in it, so I'll have to assume it was a transplanted engine, I can't remember what the valve covers looked like. If my memory serves me correctly, the 273 and the 318 were the same engine block, at least that's what I was told.
Chrysler made two 318 engines, the polyspherical A engine that was used from the 1950s through 1967, and the LA engine that was used from 1967 on. The 273 was also in the LA family and was fully interchangeable with the LA318, so that's probably the one that was in your old car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM

471 posts, read 977,211 times
The old Dart and the Valient were rugged, reliable, popular, and easy to work on cars that lasted forever. I don't think the trick of giving some rounded foreign blob a vintage name will help it be remembered. Anyone who drove and liked the old Dart-Valient is not going to buy a new one thinking they are going to be taking a trip down memory lane

Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
The old Dart and the Valient were rugged, reliable, popular, and easy to work on cars that lasted forever. I don't think the trick of giving some rounded foreign blob a vintage name will help it be remembered. Anyone who drove and liked the old Dart-Valient is not going to buy a new one thinking they are going to be taking a trip down memory lane
Exactly. I owned a '66 Dart GT V-8 from 1979 to 2002 and no way would I even consider buying Japanese-looking new "Dart."

If anything, I would instead buy a classic Dart, like a '68 or '69 340 GTS.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM

114 posts, read 359,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

Need I go on? lol

Nearly the same dimensions:

Dart

Wheelbase106.4 in (2,703 mm) Length183.9 in (4,671 mm) Width72.0 in (1,829 mm) Height57.7 in (1,466 mm)

Neon

Wheelbase104.0 in (2,640 mm) Length171.8 in (4,360 mm) Width67.5 in (1,710 mm) Height54.9 in (1,390 mm)

If they would have just called it a Neon, I would be more accepting.

Plus, I saw a regular white one the other day. Unless it's got that black on the front bumper, there's really no ...lines (?) in the front end. I can't explain it. Just bland.
Those dimensions aren't that similar--shows just how big the Dart is (on the outside at least) for a compact. I don't disagree on the styling and the name.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
Those dimensions aren't that similar--shows just how big the Dart is (on the outside at least) for a compact. I don't disagree on the styling and the name.
Big? My '66 Dart was 196.3" long; over a foot longer than the new "Dart."

And the 1970s Darts got even longer than my '66... 200" to 204" by the mid-'70s.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 PM

554 posts, read 608,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
As Jean-Paul Sartre once said,

"In my journey to the end of night, I must rely not only on dialectical paths of reason. I must have a good solid automobile, one that eschews the futile trappings of worldly ennui and asks only for basic maintenance. My Dodge Dartre offers me this elemental solace, and as interior parts fall off I am struck by the realization of their pointlessness. I might not know if the window is up or down. It is of no consequence."

Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
I owned a 1963 Dodge Dart Convertible in High School. I bought it from original owner with 159,000 miles for $100 bucks. Was a huge rust bucket with a top held together by tape and ripped seat .

I got very detailed records. I drove it another 4k miles before three accidents, being stolen once and vandalized twice made it a complete basket case.

But here is interesting part. In 163,000 miles car NEVER visited mechanic. Not once. Prior owner changed oil, brake pads, himself and mounted the tires himself. The most expensive repair in first 159,000 miles was $20 bucks.

I never took car to mechanic either, my most expensive repair was when my friend borrowed it slammed head on into a pole at 40 mph. Drove radiator into fan and shredded it. So I ask him to pay for repairs and he gives me $50 bucks. I could not get old radiator out so we strapped a huge boat rope around bumper tied other to a tree and used push button transimission to do some "neutral drops", remember them. A neutral drop is when you put car in neutral floor it and then push bottom for either D or R and let it rip. Around 5 or six one them I had enough room to pull old radiator free. We then bought a used one for $35, put it in filled car up with water to save on antifreeze and used our $15 dollar profit to go to Jones Beach for day.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:18 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
the late 60's and even early 70's, Darts offered outstanding ride comfort for a compact car, according to CR's, as well as above average roominess and rear seat comfort.

in fact, the 1968 Dart scored a "fair to good" rating under a full load of passengers and luggage, actually beating out the same year's Cadillac (rated only "fair" under full load)

in 1973 the Dart rated "fair to good" under a light load which was considered "impressive for a compact".

the Valiant did somewhat better than it's competitors with regards to seating comfort and ride but not as good as the Dart

i don't think there is any comparison between the early Darts and the new one

Old 10-10-2013, 01:18 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathseeker View Post
I miss this old Dart with the Slant six engine and was excited to hear that the name was being revived until I saw the new model which looks nothing like the original Dart of the 60s and 70s that had the indestructible slant 6 engine. Not that I'm surprised, but I expected the new Dart to at least be as similar to its vintage counterpart as the Charger and Challengers are to theirs.
Anyway, I'm curious as to what other Mopar enthusiasts think of the new dart and how they think it stacks up to the original.

That new Dart looks like a generic econobox. A cheap replacement for the Neon. Ho-hum. Yawn. Even an old fart like me is unimpressed.

This is what a Dart is supposed to look like.

With the 340 V-8, they could motate.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:20 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
a 1972- 1973 Dart Swinger, white with black vinyl roof, upscale wheel covers and a 318 V8 would satisfy me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram