Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM

7 posts, read 44,026 times

Advertisements

First of all my geography is on point! One of my strongest subjects in Grade School. So, when i hear people say CINCINNATI is a Midwestern City I really have to correct them (St.Louis, Indianapolis, Kanas City, Chicago, Louisville) are cities that are In that catorgeory...further more (Nashville,Atlanta,Memphis,Lexington) are considered apart of the South! Last time I checked Cincinnati was on East Coast time "Est. Eastern Standard time zone" So I believe we as Citizens of our Country to change that because, actually CINCINNATI,PHILLIDEPHIA, PITTSBURGH,NEW YORK CITY,and BOSTON are North Eastern cities!!!! Can someone google a map of the United States for me and Outline that and put it on this fourm board to help to Support my Claims!

Thanks, and I encourage your feedback,comments and thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM

364 posts, read 715,495 times
I used to live on the East Coast, and I can say that if the topography of Cincinnati were flattened out, it would fit in quite nicely in the Mid-Atlantic region. However, implying that Cincinnati is more East Coast than Midwestern because it's located in the eastern time zone is a moot point. Houghton, MI is located in the eastern time zone, as is all of Michigan. I doubt anyone would try to argue that Michigan is more East Coast than Midwest.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:09 PM

Well Cincinnati has bridges like New York City ......and I disagree then Why Cincinnati isn't on "Central Standard time zone" I can drive only 2hours west Of Cincy to Indianapolis then it's a hour behind and they are on CST time!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:51 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
I agree that Cincinnati has far more in common with Eastern cities than Midwest cities. When I lived out west (Colorado and Wyoming) everyone there considered Cincinnati and Ohio to be eastern. When they say "back East," they really don't differentiate like we do here - everything from Ohio to the Atlantic is east. Part of that reason is distance: Drive from Salt Lake City or Albuquerque for seven hours in any direction and you're still in the west, usually only one state over. Here, if you drive for seven hours, you're in Washington, D.C., or Virginia Beach or Atlanta, having crossed multiple statelines. Western people tend to think of the Midwest as Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, etc. Cincinnati really doesn't have as much in common with those places as it does with, say, Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

If anything, Ohio should be considered a Great Lakes state. The "Midwest" is a term used to describe far too big and too diverse of an area to be considered one. Really, Cleveland and Omaha are in the same geographic region? Yea, OK.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I agree that Cincinnati has far more in common with Eastern cities than Midwest cities. When I lived out west (Colorado and Wyoming) everyone there considered Cincinnati and Ohio to be eastern. When they say "back East," they really don't differentiate like we do here - everything from Ohio to the Atlantic is east. Part of that reason is distance: Drive from Salt Lake City or Albuquerque for seven hours in any direction and you're still in the west, usually only one state over. Here, if you drive for seven hours, you're in Washington, D.C., or Virginia Beach or Atlanta, having crossed multiple statelines. Western people tend to think of the Midwest as Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, etc. Cincinnati really doesn't have as much in common with those places as it does with, say, Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

If anything, Ohio should be considered a Great Lakes state. The "Midwest" is a term used to describe far too big and too diverse of an area to be considered one. Really, Cleveland and Omaha are in the same geographic region? Yea, OK.
Ohio IS a Great Lakes state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_L...(North_America)
Wikipedia, yeah I know.

It's deciding what is and what's not a Great Lakes city when the definition becomes fuzzy. NYC and Philly aren't Great Lakes cities, and most people who are remotely familiar with Cincinnati don't refer to it as a Great Lakes city either. Oddly enough, I've heard quite a few people refer to Minneapolis as a Great Lakes city.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
So what exactly is the definition of Midwest? It is only approximately the middle of the country and only west of the east coast. We probably could have used another term Mideast, but it is too late to create it now. If you look at the 12 states considered to be part of the Midwest, Ohio is definitely one of them. South of the Ohio river is Southern.

As Cincinnati is located on the Ohio river it is going to naturally share traits between the Midwest and the South. But it is still Midwest.

Pittsburg shares a lot of traits with Cincinnati. But it is in an Eastern state and therefore an Eastern city.

You may try to redraw geography, but it is what it is.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,797 times
Ohio is a weird state. There's no getting around it.

New Yorkers will insist that Ohio is Midwestern, and everyone out west just refers to Ohio as "back east". I doubt many Nebraskans see many similarities between their home state and Ohio.

I agree that the term "Midwest" is pretty stupid. It covers such a huge range, and typically Ohio is considered part of the "Midwest" for political reasons only; Ohio was originally a part of the old "Northwest Territory"(Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota). Fittingly, Ohio was the first of the NW Territory to break away and enter the union.

The US government decided to call everything between Pennsylvania and Colorado the "Midwest", which sort of sends the message to outsiders that there must be some similarities between the member states. If anything, this probably only reinforces the ego of insular New Yorkers and New Englanders who believe that everything outside their realm is nothing but mountains and bland "Middle America".

In terms of Cincinnati, I've always had the impression that it's very southern compared to the Cleveland area. I mean, it is right across the border from Kentucky, so you know there has to be some influence. Generally, the politics in Cincinnati are more southern/Midwestern than anything else. Cleveland is probably the only city in the state that has an "east coast" culture(and I'm not suggesting that's necessarily a good thing).

In the end, how an Ohioan self-identifies their location probably has more to do with their own perception of where they live, rather than some absolute truth. Residents in rural areas will probably claim that Ohio is Midwestern or Appalachian(Southeastern Ohio), because that makes it sound more conservative and simple. On the other hand, there's probably a lot of urban dwelling Ohioans who get sick and tired of their friends from the East Coast making the assumption that Ohio and Iowa are identical. They might point out that Ohio is a "great lakes state" or that certain cities are more "Northeastern".

This sort of thing isn't unique to Ohio. It's sort of like Republican Presidential candidate Rick Santorum referring to Western PA as "Middle America" because that term exemplifies the old fashioned kind of social conservatism that he campaigns on. At the same time, you have Pittsburgh boosters on this website who go ballistic if one so much as suggests that the burgh might not be exclusively Northeastern.

We all have our own experiences, and this affects how we view where we're from. Because Ohio is such a unique state with such contrast, it's really hard to pin down any specific area without generalizing to a large extent.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM

^Have you been to Cincinnati? From a transplants' point of view, I find Cleveland and Cincinnati are more similar to one another than the residents of both cities would like to admit. I can certainly agree however, that Cleveland is more East Coast in culture, while Cincinnati has a southern slant to it. I think part of that is because you have a considerable amount of people here that are transplants from all parts of Kentucky. Then again, I've met native Cincinnatians that sound like they grew up in the deep south, so I don't know.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:08 PM

Well, isn't it true Cincinnati is on Eastern Standard time zone? Cincinnati has more Skyscrapers (Downtown buildings) than Columbus,Dayton, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Plus Cincinnati feels more like a city we actually have Bridges, Major Corporations Proctor & Gamble, Krogers, Great American ins. Etc; NFL TEAM, MLB team.....
Attached Thumbnails
CINCINNATI is More (East Coast) than "Midwest" or the  apart of the South-2011-10-11-11.19.42.jpg   CINCINNATI is More (East Coast) than "Midwest" or the  apart of the South-2011-10-15-19.27.27.jpg   CINCINNATI is More (East Coast) than "Midwest" or the  apart of the South-2011-10-02-09.34.45.jpg   CINCINNATI is More (East Coast) than "Midwest" or the  apart of the South-2011-10-02-09.36.03.jpg   CINCINNATI is More (East Coast) than "Midwest" or the  apart of the South-2011-10-09-08.35.53.jpg  

CINCINNATI is More (East Coast) than "Midwest" or the  apart of the South-2011-10-11-10.57.05.jpg   CINCINNATI is More (East Coast) than "Midwest" or the  apart of the South-2011-09-29-19.21.56.jpg   CINCINNATI is More (East Coast) than "Midwest" or the  apart of the South-2011-09-17-11.44.23.jpg  

Last edited by Queenof_Cincinnati; 11-29-2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
I used to live on the East Coast, and I can say that if the topography of Cincinnati were flattened out, it would fit in quite nicely in the Mid-Atlantic region. However, implying that Cincinnati is more East Coast than Midwestern because it's located in the eastern time zone is a moot point. Houghton, MI is located in the eastern time zone, as is all of Michigan. I doubt anyone would try to argue that Michigan is more East Coast than Midwest.

All of Michigan is NOT in the Eastern time zone. The western portion of the Upper Peninsula is in the central time zone. The boundary passes thru the middle of Lake Gogebic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati