Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 AM

800 posts, read 951,019 times

Advertisements

>Sure, if you invest enough money you can make a hundred year old home livable, maybe even enjoyable. But you basically totally rebuild it.

Seriously, what are you talking about? Sure, many 100+ year-old homes have had the plumbing, heating/cooling, roofs worked on, and kitchens rebuilt, but there are thousands of homes around Cincinnati that still have the original floors, walls, woodwork, doors, and even windows. There are many 100+ year-old homes that have never needed any work on the foundations and have zero signs of settling.
I might post some photos of my house because it's a good example of a modest 19th century home that has not required much maintenance over its lifetime but is still in excellent shape.

Much of the deterioration you see around Cincinnati is manmade -- homeless people moving into vacant homes, teenagers breaking windows, etc. Some landlords open the windows on vacant homes on purpose to speed their deterioration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>Sure, if you invest enough money you can make a hundred year old home livable, maybe even enjoyable. But you basically totally rebuild it.

Seriously, what are you talking about? Sure, many 100+ year-old homes have had the plumbing, heating/cooling, roofs worked on, and kitchens rebuilt, but there are thousands of homes around Cincinnati that still have the original floors, walls, woodwork, doors, and even windows. There are many 100+ year-old homes that have never needed any work on the foundations and have zero signs of settling.
I might post some photos of my house because it's a good example of a modest 19th century home that has not required much maintenance over its lifetime but is still in excellent shape.

Much of the deterioration you see around Cincinnati is manmade -- homeless people moving into vacant homes, teenagers breaking windows, etc. Some landlords open the windows on vacant homes on purpose to speed their deterioration.
What are some of the most expensive aspects about maintaining any house? Have you priced the replacement of a roof recently? How about a new kitchen? And a bathroom with modern fixtures? Then throw in a new HVAC system. Thern if you acually have one, replace that crumbling driveway. Maintaining and updating a house is expensive, plain and simple. I don't care if it is 40 years old or 200 hundred years old, these items are there on a regular cycle. And the cost of replacement does not vary much dependent on age.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi WILWRadio--

This is just out of sheer curiosity (and I'm contributing to my share of thread drift here), but what kind of cost is one looking at when seeking to have one of these "custom built" homes compared to buying a tract house in a subdivision?
Dunno. Can't speak about SW Ohio building costs. The home my sister and her husband built in the late 1980's is in a town called Simsbury near Hartford. I seem to recall they spent around half a million to put it up. It has 4,500 square feet of living space and five acres of land with a 4 bedroom cape cod at the front of the property. The cape is an older home that was a part of the property when they bought the land behind that home.

Most of the homes my cousin has built are larger and also in Connecticut. Best to contact area builders to find out the dollar per square foot cost in your area.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Just depends on what you say is the test of time. Do I expect my house will be standing here a hundred years or more from now? Hell No. At the same time I have seen very few houses (none) a hundred or more years old I ever wanted to live in. Sure, if you invest enough money you can make a hundred year old home livable, maybe even enjoyable. But you basically totally rebuild it. With enough money I can rebuild anything, that does not mean I deem it practical.
My hundred year old home has upgraded electrical and hvac. The upgraded hvac used many of the original duct runs from the gravity furnace. It has a non-original shingle roof. Everything else (walls, windows, floors) is original. It could use a kitchen and bath update but what house couldn't? My energy bill is about $160 a month. I really have no idea what you're talking about here. When you say rebuild, I think framing, walls, floor, etc. Unless the house was badly damaged or neglected for a long time, these items will be fine.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 PM

364 posts, read 715,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Cincinnati needs more commercials like THIS, broadcast nationally. We've got everything we need here, we just need outsiders to see it.

BrandHUB_Cincinnati - YouTube
Great video---and I saw the company I used to work for featured in the video.

I'm sending this video to my friends that still cannot fathom why I chose to live Cincinnati and the uniqueness that the city offers. I did not read through the thread, but originality is not something Cincy lacks-both good and bad. Some of the weird quirks I observed are things I actually miss about the city.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 PM

477 posts, read 664,610 times
Wow the Cincinnati chamber of commerce is really upping their game. Just a few years ago they had a really lame website that kind of was embarrassed about the region. Good for them and good for the region.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 PM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
If you haven't seen it, here is a feature on one of the most spectacular renovations in Over-the-Rhine:
Building Cincinnati: Reviving Cincinnati: 1346 Broadway, Part IV (The Finale)

Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Quote:
If you haven't seen it, here is a feature on one of the most spectacular renovations in Over-the-Rhine:
I love the curved archways over the doors and windows of the Italianettes.....and he nailed the exterior color with the white trim.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Why do people leave the toilet seat lids up when they take pictures of bathrooms???? [/rant]

Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 AM

4,484 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Wow, that's something straight out of Brooklyn! Spectacular job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati