Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,178,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Honestly, I've been a bit taken aback by the enmity that has developed between certain personalities on the forum. One of the reasons that while I live in the Cincy metro area, I contribute so infrequently.
I would love nothing more to get along with everyone here. However, if one or two posters continuously use the forums to bash Cincinnati, they should be willing to debate the points intelligently. Unfortunately, that's not the case most times. I could say lots about where the city could improve, and it has a ways to go. But there is so much being done right, it deserves to be told accurately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM

41,729 posts, read 74,684,043 times
Quote:
In the meantime just because someone isn't "YAY CINCY IS THE BEST!!!" doesn't mean they are secretly waiting for the city to fail.
That's something some people simply fail to grasp.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,492,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I would love nothing more to get along with everyone here. However, if one or two posters continuously use the forums to bash Cincinnati, they should be willing to debate the points intelligently. Unfortunately, that's not the case most times. I could say lots about where the city could improve, and it has a ways to go. But there is so much being done right, it deserves to be told accurately.

I'm glad you're so passionate about the city you've chosen to reside in. However the attitude you exhibit suggests more of the "us" vs. "them" demeanor that makes me feel like this forum should be named:

Cincinnati- FOR PEOPLE WHO RESIDE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS ONLY (OR WOULD LIKE TO!) - forum.

Maybe they could then make a Cincinnati Regional forum for the rest of us who want to comment on things within the city that affect us, as well as things *gasp* outside the city limits, and who feel that the city/suburbs are an interconnected entity, rather than two not-particularly-comfortable-dance-partners that can be severed with no issue.

I know what bashing is, personally I don't read the comments the same way that you do. I have seen very few that I would have ever called bashing. When I first joined the forums (6+ years ago) there tended to be a lot of (what I read as) *bashing* - seemingly from the Urbanites towards the Suburbanites (and our poor aesthetic tastes). For a while that seemed to diminsh somewhat, however recently the tensions appear to have started to escalate again.

Suggesting that some people prefer the suburbs (whether or not the reasons for the preference is rational) is not bashing Cincinnati (or any other urban environment) - yet that continually seems to be where the friction is.

Since this thread was titled "Cincy's fastest growing Suburban Residential Developments" - I thought it would be one where legitimately the suburban point of view would be valued.

Clearly, I should not be so easily misled by titles.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,699,362 times
Springboro is definitely a Dayton suburb, but seeing as how so many are now saying Cincinnati and Dayton should be considered as one I agree it should be included as a rapidly growing Cincinnati suburb. But I also feel it is getting built out somewhat and the growth rate will slow down.

I also agree NKY has an abundance of fast growing suburbs. This makes sense to me as the land has been there with a relatively close proximity to the City.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you're so passionate about the city you've chosen to reside in. However the attitude you exhibit suggests more of the "us" vs. "them" demeanor that makes me feel like this forum should be named:
You so conveniently ignore the attitude of others who consistently drag topic after topic off track, and post "urbanist vs. suburb" content.

Whatever.

That there is a suburban vs. urban divide in the Cincinnati metro is readily observable.

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Cincinnati vs. Cincinnati

But I suppose I am responsible for it, and especially for bringing it out on city data.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Springboro is definitely a Dayton suburb, but seeing as how so many are now saying Cincinnati and Dayton should be considered as one I agree it should be included as a rapidly growing Cincinnati suburb. But I also feel it is getting built out somewhat and the growth rate will slow down.

I also agree NKY has an abundance of fast growing suburbs. This makes sense to me as the land has been there with a relatively close proximity to the City.
I agree. Springboro is as Dayton as it gets. Springboro is a nice area.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM

50 posts, read 82,399 times
Although I don't begrudge anyone who wants their new house in the suburbs, as someone who grew up in a rural area it does make me sad to see farm fields and open spaces developed, for the simple reason you can never get that back (or at least, not without considerable difficulty). But I think that's just me being nostalgic.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg97 View Post
Although I don't begrudge anyone who wants their new house in the suburbs, as someone who grew up in a rural area it does make me sad to see farm fields and open spaces developed, for the simple reason you can never get that back (or at least, not without considerable difficulty). But I think that's just me being nostalgic.
It's a good point. I lived in a farming community for a few years for job related reasons. I really gained a lot of respect for those guys. Many of the family farms are run by folks who also work day jobs. It was common to see them out at harvest time late into the evening. They work really hard for pennies on the dollar. I guess on the flip side some of them probably make out nicely being bought out by a developer.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:57 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,911,908 times
Quote:

Cincinnati- FOR PEOPLE WHO RESIDE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS ONLY (OR WOULD LIKE TO!) - forum.

Maybe they could then make a Cincinnati Regional forum for the rest of us who want to comment on things within the city that affect us, as well as things *gasp* outside the city limits, and who feel that the city/suburbs are an interconnected entity, rather than two not-particularly-comfortable-dance-partners that can be severed with no issue.

I know what bashing is, personally I don't read the comments the same way that you do. I have seen very few that I would have ever called bashing. When I first joined the forums (6+ years ago) there tended to be a lot of (what I read as) *bashing* - seemingly from the Urbanites towards the Suburbanites (and our poor aesthetic tastes). For a while that seemed to diminsh somewhat, however recently the tensions appear to have started to escalate again.

Suggesting that some people prefer the suburbs (whether or not the reasons for the preference is rational) is not bashing Cincinnati (or any other urban environment) - yet that continually seems to be where the friction is.
Quote:
Since this thread was titled "Cincy's fastest growing Suburban Residential Developments" - I thought it would be one where legitimately the suburban point of view would be valued.

Clearly, I should not be so easily misled by titles.
I think it is, but not by everybody

The chicago forum split into a suburb and city forum for this very reason. We are actually very pro-suburb compared to the other cincinnati forum out there.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:40 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,827,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You are talking about the downtown and OTR where all of the renewal is taking place. What about the rest of the City? The western neighborhoods need to still stop the hemmoraging.
Hi kjbrill--

Here's the stats that none of the other posters are willing to post.

Quote:
1950 503,998
1960 502,550 −0.3%
452,525 −10.0%
1980 385,460 −14.8%
1990 364,040 −5.6%
331,285 −9.0%
296,945 −10.4%
Est. 2011
296,351 −0.2%
Is there redevelopment on the Banks and in OTR? Sure. But it's not doing much to reverse a city-wide trend, and it won't happen until the city as a whole becomes a desirable place to live. That doesn't mean Cincinnati isn't in a bad area, or the economy is truly awful, or there aren't any jobs. That's why the area is doing just fine.

Which is why since 1950 the metro area has gained 901,881 people (from 1,270,310 to 2,172,191).

But the city has lost 207,647 since that same year, and shrunk from being ~40% of the metro area to less than 15%.

Get it together, Cincinnati.

There is nothing preventing the city of Cincinnati from succeeding except its backwards-thinking City Council that believes redeveloping OTR is a silver bullet that will bring the city back to its glory days, and the people who also subscribe to this belief. If they want people to move back into the city, they need to make the whole place - including all its neighborhoods - desirable places to live, work, and play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati