Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 AM

15 posts, read 21,866 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for the warm welcome, folks. We will have a chance to visit for a few days to drive around, see things in person, hopefully meet with agents and check out options. Our time will be limited, though, so we're trying to get as much info as we can beforehand to make our trip productive. Ideally we'll find something in the next few weeks with availability starting July or 1st Aug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 07:48 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,301,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeefan14 View Post
Thanks again for the warm welcome, folks. We will have a chance to visit for a few days to drive around, see things in person, hopefully meet with agents and check out options. Our time will be limited, though, so we're trying to get as much info as we can beforehand to make our trip productive. Ideally we'll find something in the next few weeks with availability starting July or 1st Aug.
If you are looking in the area within a mile or two of Xavier or UC, it would be better to find a place sooner rather than later, as students pick over the rental properties pretty thoroughly starting in August.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:38 AM

Yeah, looking now, though our search is focused on areas farther out than a couple miles.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
Quote:
Yeah, looking now, though our search is focused on areas farther out than a couple miles.
For the rent value you are looking for, with accommodations for a large dog, I am not sure where that would be. Of course we all perceive distance differently. Aounds to me like I would start in Norwood and work my way east on Montgomery Rd until I found something I liked and could afford. I might find myself in Silverton or Deer Park, worst places to be. Once you get to Blue Ash turn around, it will outprice your desires unless you up the ante.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,026,916 times
Quote:
Yeah, looking now, though our search is focused on areas father out than a couple miles.
Yes, of course, and why not? () Nevertheless, before moving too far outward, give Norwood another consideration...

Not only is this central city community merely a stone's throw away from XU, but its amenities are considerable (as both progmac's post #9 and kjbrill's post #14 have suggested).

If you can spare the time, please drive up and down Norwood's Floral and Forest Avenues and their side streets. Nature trails, no... but a myriad of flat, walkable, bucolic streets adorned with stately and affordable homes--plus equally appealing rental property, yes--and all so connected to Norwood's Rookwood and Cincinnati's Oakley, "Oakley Station," and Hyde Park.

In this city, at least, one could do much, much worse than this particular "quadrant" of Norwood.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Yes, of course, and why not? () Nevertheless, before moving too far outward, give Norwood another consideration...

Not only is this central city community merely a stone's throw away from XU, but its amenities are considerable (as both progmac's post #9 and kjbrill's post #14 have suggested).

If you can spare the time, please drive up and down Norwood's Floral and Forest Avenues and their side streets. Nature trails, no... but a myriad of flat, walkable, bucolic streets adorned with stately and affordable homes--plus equally appealing rental property, yes--and all so connected to Norwood's Rookwood and Cincinnati's Oakley, "Oakley Station," and Hyde Park.

In this city, at least, one could do much, much worse than this particular "quadrant" of Norwood.
Don't disagree. For someone having a reason of living close in, and working at XU certainly qualifies, living in Norwood certainly appeals to me. Years ago my view would have been considerably different. But once I got the opportunity to both work and live in the same area, what a drastic difference. There is nothing like it. Once you experience it, it will take a job with a whole lot of bucks for you to consider a long distance commute again.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the detailed suggestions, motorman and kjbrill. We are coming up this week to start driving around and looking at places, and we will certainly follow your advice and drive through the parts of Norwood you mention. I can't deny the potential appeal of living close to work if the area is a nice one.

All of the responders to this thread have given us great info and I feel like we're heading to the city pretty well prepared to get moving on our search. Much appreciated!

Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed suggestions, motorman and kjbrill. We are coming up this week to start driving around and looking at places, and we will certainly follow your advice and drive through the parts of Norwood you mention. I can't deny the potential appeal of living close to work if the area is a nice one.

All of the responders to this thread have given us great info and I feel like we're heading to the city pretty well prepared to get moving on our search. Much appreciated!
Give Norwood all the attention you can afford. Just keep telling yourself think how close this is. I could almost walk to work from here. Believe me that is a great feeling. And in bad weather I might even consider calling a cab to take me to work. Once you experience living and working in the same town or section of town there is no better feeling. So give Norwood every opportunity to either entice or reject you.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Ok, Norwood experts: we're going to look at a couple places in Norwood tomorrow. One is on Harper Ave, and the other is on Norwood Ave between Oak and Poplar. I read on a different city-data thread that, at least in one poster's opinion, the area north of the Norwood Lateral between Norwood and Highland is one of the sketchier parts. I know we'll get a feel for ourselves tomorrow, but any thoughts going into it? Thanks!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,301,069 times
Quote:
Ok, Norwood experts: we're going to look at a couple places in Norwood tomorrow. One is on Harper Ave, and the other is on Norwood Ave between Oak and Poplar. I read on a different city-data thread that, at least in one poster's opinion, the area north of the Norwood Lateral between Norwood and Highland is one of the sketchier parts. I know we'll get a feel for ourselves tomorrow, but any thoughts going into it? Thanks!
The area is not dangerous, but there will be a fair amount of highway noise from the lateral and I-71. I might hesitate to buy a house there, but if the rental meets your other needs and the yard is good for your dog, I would not say that the location is a dealbreaker. There is a dog daycare/boarding facility a few blocks from both locations by the way.

The location is not ideal from a walkability perspective, as it is so close to the highways, but you can easily commute to dozens of great spots, including Xavier, in 5-10 minutes. You should have no issues walking your dogs in that area, either. If you could find something comparable on the south side of the railroad tracks/old GM plant, that would be preferred, but I would guess you would pay several hundred more a month or have a smaller more restrictive place as you get closer to the Oakley/Hyde Park bordering part of Norwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati