Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 AM

15 posts, read 21,866 times

Advertisements

Yes indeed, certainly hope our experiences can help others!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 08:18 AM

Update: Our search has come to a successful close! We found a 2BR/1BA apt in Mariemont, recently updated, garage parking, willing to accept our dog, and close to both the square and several nice parks, all under $1K. No private W/D, but we can deal. My test runs to Xavier have been right around 13-15 min, though I haven't done it during the height of rush hour (an unlikely event for me in any case).

Thanks again to everyone who weighed in. We're already feeling at home! Now I just have to start searching the forums for everything else we'll need to find... coffee, cycling, fresh/farmer's markets, etc...

Old 05-15-2014, 09:07 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,301,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeefan14 View Post

Thanks again to everyone who weighed in. We're already feeling at home! Now I just have to start searching the forums for everything else we'll need to find... coffee, cycling, fresh/farmer's markets, etc...
Mariemont is a neat little village. The commute will take a little longer during rush hour, but it is definitely manageable. Here are a few things I think you should know about:

1) The South 80 is a hidden gem in Mariemont. It is located along the little Miami on the southern edge of Mariemont, right next to Fairfax, and it is a wonderful place for hiking with dogs. It is remote enough that you can let your dogs off leash, and the trails are maintained exceptionally well so you can even use them for jogging. A few years ago it was a big secret, but now the secret is out, so you can expect a little more traffic than before on nice days, but it still feels remote.

2) If you are into cycling but worried about cars, you hit the jackpot. Mariemont is located right along one of the longest bike trails in Ohio. You can ride all of the way up to the Yellow Springs/Dayton area while only having to contend with traffic for a very short distance.

3) I believe there is a great farmer's market in neighboring Newtown. It has been a few years since I have been there, but when I lived in the neighboring Madison Place in graduate school I went there all the time.

4)There is another great place for dogs in the Kroger Hills State reserve in Terrace park, which is a mile or two east on route 50. There is a long but narrow island in the Little Miami river that can be accessed by jumping across rocks. My friends and I used to let our dogs off leash on the island and fish on the secluded side. The river is very shallow at this point, and the dogs love wading in the 6-18 inch gravel beach.

5) There is a little restaurant called the Dilly Cafe next to Starbucks on Wooster Pike right across from the square. If you are into wine or craft beer, they have quite a selection. They have a wine/beer guy that does tasting events and who is a very knowledgeable. He looks like a heavy metal Santa Claus and he is quite a character.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:29 AM

404 posts, read 827,329 times
Quote:
Update: Our search has come to a successful close! We found a 2BR/1BA apt in Mariemont, recently updated, garage parking, willing to accept our dog, and close to both the square and several nice parks, all under $1K. No private W/D, but we can deal. My test runs to Xavier have been right around 13-15 min, though I haven't done it during the height of rush hour (an unlikely event for me in any case).

Mariemont farmers market starts early June, 4-7 pm Wednesdays in the Elementary school parking lot. Welcome.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 AM

Thanks, SoFresh99! We'll be there

Old 05-15-2014, 04:08 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Now I just have to start searching the forums for everything else we'll need to find... coffee, cycling, fresh/farmer's markets, etc...
There's a nifty little restaurant called Demetrio's on Plainville Road that has good chili, breakfast all day, and other diner-type foods. Don't be fooled by all the grey hairs in there - the food is decent.

I think the farm market in Newtown Chemistry Guy is talking about is the Newtown Farm Market on Roundbottom Road - just a short hop from Mariemont. Fresh produce, a nice deli, fresh baked goods, live garden plants and garden supplies, and in the fall all the pumpkins you'll ever need.

Dogwood Park, at the corner of Wooster and Pleasant Street, looks like a playground on the surface, but has a short nature trail that's quite nice. In general, the entire neighborhood is nice for walking the dog.

Lots of little shops on Wooster in Fairfax, but they come and go and I moved away almost 10 years ago. Skyline Chili is still there - that much I know.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 PM

This is all awesome info, Chemistry_Guy and Ohiogirl81. Now I'm even more eager for the move!

Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,026,916 times
^ Congrats, coffeefan14, on choosing Mariemont--one of the metro's most unique and safe neighborhoods. And, although earlier, I touted several advantages of Norwood (for example, its close proximity to both XU and Rookwood/Hyde Park/Oakley, etc.), I didn't regard any of the distinct amenities that Mariemont would be able to offer your family. Gladly enough, several other posters did just that!

Last edited by motorman; 05-16-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 07:17 AM

Thanks, motorman. It's true that proximity to work and other places you mention is one thing we gave up, but on balance the Mariemont area offered most of what we want.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
Quote:

Congratulations on a successful conclusion. You stated no kids, but any in the future? If so, start planning from the beginning where your next move will be. Can you afford to stay in Mariemont if you need more space? As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati