Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 PM

7 posts, read 12,586 times

Advertisements

Top 5 City:

Pleasant Ridge/Kennedy Heights (They are really one larger area)
Mount Lookout
Hyde Park
Clifton
Westwood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
really quickly i have to say that west chester, mason, anderson, etc. are not cincinnati, they are the distant suburbs. they are fine places but you are really selling yourself short if you move to cincinnati and don't look at the neighborhoods. the neighborhoods make cincinnati cincinnati and not anywhere, USA

Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
really quickly i have to say that west chester, mason, anderson, etc. are not cincinnati, they are the distant suburbs. they are fine places but you are really selling yourself short if you move to cincinnati and don't look at the neighborhoods. the neighborhoods make cincinnati cincinnati and not anywhere, USA
It is quite a stretch to call an unincorporated area like Anderson Township that borders the city "a distant suburb."

Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is quite a stretch to call an unincorporated area like Anderson Township that borders the city "a distant suburb."
Depends on how you look at it. Technically, Mt. Auburn and Clifton are suburbs.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:03 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
what i know is that when i lived in cincinnati (norwood for a while, walnut hills for a while), and i had to go to that area, i would be in my car for a long time and go under over or on the outerbelt. it seemed a world away from the cincinnati that i knew. i don't doubt that anderson township is a nice place and i know there are amenities, but it is a very different place than the city or its inner ring suburbs. that said, cincinnati is an sprawling metropolitan area of well over a million people, and what it means to live in cincinnati means different things to different people

Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,653 times
Is there a neighborhood in Cincinnati similar to Broad Ripple in Indianapolis or Wicker Park in Chicago? In other words, a safe, urban, multicultural, eclectic neighborhood with lots of young urban professionals, academics, artists and such?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlarrytaylor View Post
Is there a neighborhood in Cincinnati similar to Broad Ripple in Indianapolis or Wicker Park in Chicago? In other words, a safe, urban, multicultural, eclectic neighborhood with lots of young urban professionals, academics, artists and such?
Cincinnati does not really have any ethnic neighborhoods other than African American neighborhoods. When my relatives lived in Chicago's Humboldt Park, adjacent to Wicker Park, in the 60's, Humboldt had lots of elderly Polish residents and many Hispanics. I spent a Summer in Humboldt Park in 1961 with my aunt and uncle and the Puerto Rican gangs dominated Wicker PArk from my recollection. I assume that there is still a very substantial Puerto Rican population there. We have nothing like that in Cincinnati.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
what i know is that when i lived in cincinnati (norwood for a while, walnut hills for a while), and i had to go to that area, i would be in my car for a long time and go under over or on the outerbelt. it seemed a world away from the cincinnati that i knew. i don't doubt that anderson township is a nice place and i know there are amenities, but it is a very different place than the city or its inner ring suburbs. that said, cincinnati is an sprawling metropolitan area of well over a million people, and what it means to live in cincinnati means different things to different people
I can make it from Anderson Township to Norwood in under 18 minutes. It is hardly that far of a drive or enough to call it a distant suburb. In fact, how do you call it an "outer ring suburb" when its western border is the Cincinnati city limits?

I think that it is really peculiar how people want to define what is "real' Cincinnati as opposed to not Cincinnati. It sounds much like the people in St. Louis and Detroit metros who are adamant that they don't live in those cities.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 AM

279 posts, read 718,004 times
Eh I tend to agree that Anderson Township is out there. I dread having to drive out that way along Beechmont. 18 minutes must be the record...

Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 PM

10 posts, read 28,809 times
I have a question, if Anderson is a "distant suburb" and not a part of Cincinnati, then why do we have a Cincinnati mailing address? I just moved here, I really don't know the answer to this.If someone could answer this I'd really appreciate it. Also, my DH drives downtown everyday and it usually takes him 25 min tops...not taking 275. I think Anderson is the perfect in between location between downtown and Northern areas (Ikea, Costco, areas). (15-25 minutes either way.) JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati