Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,702 times

Advertisements

Jersey

****Also in the City of Cinci if you clean a sidewalk and someone still manages to slip and fall they can sue you. If you leave the snow it is considered an act of God. That may be why people do not bother.

A lot of residents are older and remember there USED to be a time when teenagers would go around and shovel for some cash--not any more. Now they would rather play video games all day!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
My two nominations for "Cincinnati Road Insanity" are the mess at the I-71/Ridge Ave/Norwood Lateral interchange and the transition from I-75 South to Fort Washington Way to I-471 South. Nothing increases your pucker factor like taking one of the two exits by mistake and ending up in downtown with a big rig...

P.S. Anybody else think renaming Fort Washington Way to "Joe Nuxhall Way" a good idea? I'm not even a big baseball fan and I think it's a great idea!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_too_expensive View Post
we're working to "calm" some of these monsters -- like Montana Avenue -- which, instead of expanding (like the city wanted to do), we want to put on a "road diet".
Ack! Extra lanes on Montana, even climbing the hill where there aren't as many houses, would kill that neighborhood. Good for you.

Quote:
OMG -- can you guys PLEASE get out and shovel your d*mn sidewalks?!
And it's not like it even snows that often, either. Many mornings, I'd be the only one out shoveling; when I came home from work, my sidewalk would still be the only one cleared. I never bothered with my driveway unless there was more than 5 inches of snow, but the walk and steps were always shoveled (I liked my mail carrier a lot!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
My two nominations for "Cincinnati Road Insanity" are the mess at the I-71/Ridge Ave/Norwood Lateral interchange
Whoever "redesigned" -- and I use that word loosely! -- that interchange on the eastbound Lateral should be shot.

Quote:
P.S. Anybody else think renaming Fort Washington Way to "Joe Nuxhall Way" a good idea?
Not a Nuxhall fan in the least (I'd listen to the radio thinking "****, Joe ... ****, Joe ..." when he'd start to ramble .. and yes, I know that sentiment can get me beat up in some places!), but yes, it's a great idea. And since we still have Pete Rose Way , why not? I hope Cincinnati has learned its lesson in naming streets after people who are still alive ...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 AM

46 posts, read 194,926 times
Default Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_too_expensive View Post
Sorry, I'm usually very positive, but during the past 14 months, the following have made the transition to life in Cincinnati more difficult than it ought to be:

1) You people can't drive. Really. Either you're racing past us at 100mph on the highway, or you're queuing up behind someone who's turning left -- and you sit there forever rather than going around them to the right. Either way, you almost never use your turn signals.

2) Speaking of turn signals: would it kill you to put some left-turn arrows at your major traffic light intersections? It is unbelievable how many busy intersections around here don't have such a simple and logical item.

3) Speaking of intersections: who is the genius that came up with the mess that is the Glenway/Crookshank/Boudinot/Glenhills Way "intersection"? What the heck were they thinking?

4) You haven't got a clue how to design a retail parking lot. There are either far too many or far too few spaces, no sense of traversal path, and where there are paths, poorly marked lane lines.

5) Plow your streets! You want to build a streetcar system but you can't even maintain your existing roads and infrastructure!

6) Shovel your sidewalks! Where we come from, clearing your sidewalk (the portion in front of your residence) is the law. Here, 95% of the sidewalk is a sheet of ice/snow whenever such precipitation presents itself. Get outside and shovel!

OK, enough with the rant. Sorry, but I needed to get that out of the way. Been bugging me for a long time now.
Your post is soooo funny I totally agree with you. My family and I are transplants from Chicago and have been here for a month now. And I couldn't agree more with some of your rants. People in Cincy/NoKY CAN NOT drive and what's up with the lack of plowing??? And we've only been here a month and my daughter has had 5 snow days and there hasn't been more than 2 inches of snow...what the heck?! Now, I will say I'm on the KY side of the river...and that was a mistake! I think it's worse on this side!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:43 AM

46 posts, read 194,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Hey - I'm from MI and I'm not racing by at 100mph anymore!! In 8 months I have been broken of my aggressive driving. Now I am the one sitting passively in the right lane going the speed limit. The EXACT speed limit.

No, the ones racing by going 100mph have OHIO plates, and usually seem to be under 25 years of age. Though its hard to tell from the blur as they whiz past. But it does seem that the NEXT generation of Ohio drivers are a lot more reckless than the last.

Oh, and why do I drive in the right lane now?? Because the sheer unbelievable number of accidents I have seen (and nearly been in) since I moved here in May has made me absolutely paranoid of driving on the highways here. Ohio drivers really can't drive at all. You do things that are ridiculously counter-intuitive (like merging at the last second when someone has given you space for a mile to merge). You drive too fast in poor weather conditions (snow/ice/rain) - and then spin out across 4 lanes of I-75 (right in front of me!!) and then in perfectly wonderful road conditions (sunny day, dry pavement) you go SLOW. You don't leave enough room to stop going down hills (I've been rear-ended twice in 8 months) and don't accelerate going up the hills.

Literally I am now a white knuckle driver -- after driving and thriving in super-agressive Detroit Metro traffic for the past 15 years!

It is SCARY down here. And don't get me started on "the cut in the hill" *Shudder*
After receiving my first speeding ticket on 275 my first weekend here...I know also drive in the right lane with my car on cruise control at the EXACT speed limit. I've found that this money hungry state will pull you over at the drop of a hat! Especially if you're driving around with IL plates...but I refuse to register my car here (I'm in NoKY) b/c it costs too darn much!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:22 AM

450 posts, read 1,203,421 times
Haha funny you said that I remember a bus driver from Calif said the same exact thing that he kept getting pulled over driving the greyhound bus and that he told the company if they didn't transfer him back to Calif he was going to quit...he said he never been to a citythat would pull you over for going 7miles over the speed limit. I know when I moved here I have had 2 ticket for speeding I guess going 45 in a 35 is a NO NO...and your right its expensive to transfer plates in KY I lived there for a year and that's one thing I don't miss about living there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWilliams77 View Post
After receiving my first speeding ticket on 275 my first weekend here...I know also drive in the right lane with my car on cruise control at the EXACT speed limit. I've found that this money hungry state will pull you over at the drop of a hat! Especially if you're driving around with IL plates...but I refuse to register my car here (I'm in NoKY) b/c it costs too darn much!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
Haha funny you said that I remember a bus driver from Calif said the same exact thing that he kept getting pulled over driving the greyhound bus and that he told the company if they didn't transfer him back to Calif he was going to quit...he said he never been to a citythat would pull you over for going 7miles over the speed limit. I know when I moved here I have had 2 ticket for speeding I guess going 45 in a 35 is a NO NO...and your right its expensive to transfer plates in KY I lived there for a year and that's one thing I don't miss about living there.
MAN, I don't recall EVER seeing a Greyhound or other commercial bus pulled over in my 1 million miles of trucking! And those guys FLY past me... FWIW, most OSHP troopers don't bother big trucks until 64 mph (55 mph for us except on the OH Tpk) or they see us doiing something unsafe. I've always been of the belief that if a big truck has been pulled over in OH, he most likely REALLY deserved it.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM

156 posts, read 631,424 times
jersey, if you didn't notice, it doesn't snow very much here. You think that might be part of the the reason why we don't invest in expensive infrastructure to handle the 'terrible' 1 inch snow storsm we get from time to time? You can't expect people to be trained like they are from a northern area like Jersey to deal with snow- you just gotta adapt because it ain't going to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWilliams77 View Post
And we've only been here a month and my daughter has had 5 snow days and there hasn't been more than 2 inches of snow...what the heck?! Now, I will say I'm on the KY side of the river...and that was a mistake! I think it's worse on this side!

You know what the weather is like in Chicago right now?

Old 02-28-2008, 05:48 PM

62 posts, read 298,234 times
[quote=cincyUK;2977196]jersey, if you didn't notice, it doesn't snow very much here. You think that might be part of the the reason why we don't invest in expensive infrastructure to handle the 'terrible' 1 inch snow storsm we get from time to time? You can't expect people to be trained like they are from a northern area like Jersey to deal with snow- you just gotta adapt because it ain't going to change.

cincyUK:
Um, yes, I have. No need to get defensive about Cincinnati. You need to remember, we took our hard-earned cash and moved here to your city. That means we must've found enough we liked about it right? And we didn't move to one of the far-flung suburbs (we live in Westwood). And we're a professional couple. And we're not a professional couple moving OUT of your city. We've made a commitment to Cincinnati. We've invested in it and will continue to do so.

But I'm not going to rah-rah everything -- and getting some legitimate criticism from an "outside" voice might help locals see things a little differently. I think Cincinnati has a rich history and the potential for a bright future -- but that same optimism sometimes breeds a higher level of frustration (if the place didn't hold as much promise we might not care as much, you know?).

Now, CincyUK, have you noticed?: most people have agreed with my original post (or major portions of it). And don't get me started on the whole streetcar issue and how the city has unfairly pushed her poorer residents upon the west side -- and forgotten them as well as the communities in which they reside. Not exactly the behavior one expects from a queen. Instead of a streetcar, how about reconnecting all areas of the city (literally and figuratively)? OK, new rant over. ;-)

Old 02-29-2008, 07:38 AM

450 posts, read 1,203,421 times
Well you may not have seen it but I was on the bus when I was going back home for spring break, and he was doing 65 in a 55 and the driver couldn't believe that he was getting a ticket (he fuss almost the whole time about how he hated driving through ohio)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
MAN, I don't recall EVER seeing a Greyhound or other commercial bus pulled over in my 1 million miles of trucking! And those guys FLY past me... FWIW, most OSHP troopers don't bother big trucks until 64 mph (55 mph for us except on the OH Tpk) or they see us doiing something unsafe. I've always been of the belief that if a big truck has been pulled over in OH, he most likely REALLY deserved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati