Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:15 PM

95 posts, read 380,784 times

Advertisements

Where is it now and where is it going?
Is it,
Safe for a young professional to live and work,
or is it still a work in progress with good days "hopefully" ahead ?
There is a lot of talk about the area coming up for the good, what's your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,711 times
Work in progress. It's hard to say when the area will be what the city wants it to be at this point, particularly because transportation in the region is a big part of what could actually change downtown.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 AM

710 posts, read 3,047,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAN24 View Post
Where is it now and where is it going?
Is it,
Safe for a young professional to live and work,
or is it still a work in progress with good days "hopefully" ahead ?
There is a lot of talk about the area coming up for the good, what's your opinion?
It is moving in the right direction, and you shouldn't have a problem living in any of the recently rehabbed buildings.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:50 AM

75 posts, read 218,308 times
In 2008 there were 6 murders out of a population of about 7,000 residents. That's a murder rate of 85.7 per 100K.

I don't know, that seems somewhat alarming to me.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:08 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteacher09 View Post
In 2008 there were 6 murders out of a population of about 7,000 residents. That's a murder rate of 85.7 per 100K.

I'm not sure that's the best way to summerize the homicide rate, since we're in a metro of 2.1 million people where non-residents are going in and out of OTR everyday. Also, the "suspect involved in the shooting, resided in Western Hills" ... line in the news articles should be enough to trump your methodology.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 AM

710 posts, read 3,047,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteacher09 View Post

I don't know why people are so concerned about murder rates. Murder is the least random crime. Burglaries and robberies, and car break ins come from random selections. Murders, almost exclusively, come from a motivated killer (slept with my wife, stole my money/drugs, on my turf).

Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM

75 posts, read 218,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
I don't know why people are so concerned about murder rates. Murder is the least random crime. Burglaries and robberies, and car break ins come from random selections. Murders, almost exclusively, come from a motivated killer (slept with my wife, stole my money/drugs, on my turf).
I do agree with these comments. But at the same time, doesn't it seem logical that areas with higher concentrations of murder rate would have a direct correlation to other undesirable attributes; i.e. drugs, burglaries, etc.

I mean even if it is just drug dealers getting popped, then that still means there are an adequate number of drug dealers and various characters within the neighborhood. Right?

I personally think the murder rate of a specific area would tend to help identify the character make-up of the population.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:51 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
What's alarming is, Cincinnati has one of the very highest rates of burglary/robbery. Auto theft, not so much. The thing about murder is, people actually die, and some of us knew those people, or are those people.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 PM

236 posts, read 695,807 times
Dont try to buy or sell crack on Vine and you wont get murdered...OTR has been a work in progress for 20 years.."The Gateway District" is on its way up at the expense of Main Street...Could be a great hood but in city with no population growth its going to take forever for it to reach its potential..If you've got some tolerance for grit, go ahead move there...I would rent, not buy though..

Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 PM

95 posts, read 380,784 times
I found Madisonville to be a little more gritty then I wanted to tolerate and have since moved out of the area,
i REMEMBER driving down VINE street in O.T.R a few years back in the day time and it seemed to be a big drug spot, the open air drug trade in the area was noticeable.
lot's of people loitering the streets, .
It sure looked like a slum if I have ever seen one, it has to be one of the worst parts of Cincinnati, .
However I HAVE heard the area is on the rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati