Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Important?
Atlanta Area 94 48.96%
Dallas Area 24 12.50%
Houston Area 50 26.04%
Miami Area 24 12.50%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:15 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think he meant diversity is more noticeable in Miami.
Ah, I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 01:17 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
as far as the poll goes, it seems to me that the meaning of the word IMPORTANT is lost among most city-data posters. and no, i'm not just saying this because i'm from texas (before any crybabies try to suggest it). even if i were from atlanta--or dallas for that matter--houston would still be the city most vital to our nation's well being....buuuut i guess cnn and coca-cola are more important than medicine and fuel
Which is why I said "because they went beyond GDP", the importance of logistics, mass media and education will not pop up in No GPD. but since you brought medical Atlanta is a major center for medical as well. ) Just coke and cnn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Numerous? There was just one, and that was the GAWC's rankings. I disagree with their rankings, because there is no way Atlanta is one the same scale as Los Angeles. Plenty of other examples on that list, too.
Los Angeles have been move up to Alpha by the way.

NO! Numerous. rankings said
  1. Atlanta
  2. Miami
  3. Dallas
  4. Houston
All the "Most Important Cities" Rankings Combined

41Latitude - The Most Important Cities in the United States (http://www.41latitude.com/post/400972984/most-important-cities-united-states - broken link)

This is why I said this is funny, Their's like a denial thing going around here. Let me guess Houston niche industry? Here's the thing Charlotte was number 2 in banking maybe still is. So should we disregard everything and place Charlotte up there? And crybaby oh no I’m laughing, YES Houston is very important to the US, but... yes yall Texans be boasting like crazy "Atlanta is CNN and coke huh"? Meanwhile most rankings, Atlanta is normally ahead Houston. So it’s like after every single study, I don’t care Houston is more important regardless. It’s funny, I guess all these studies wrong and the subjectiveness of posters are right.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,183,607 times
lol @ Beta
  • 7. Dallas
  • 8. Boston
  • 9. Miami
But Dallas and Miami are 3rd and 4th in this poll.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Which is why I said "because they went beyond GDP", the importance of logistics, mass media and education will not pop up in No GPD. but since you brought medical Atlanta is a major center for medical as well. ) Just coke and cnn.

1. Atlanta
  2. Miami
  3. Dallas
  4. Houston

41Latitude - The Most Important Cities in the United States (http://www.41latitude.com/post/400972984/most-important-cities-united-states - broken link)

This is why I said this is funny, Their's like a denial thing going around here. Let me guess Houston niche industry? Here's the thing Charlotte was number 2 in banking maybe still is. So should we disregard everything and place Charlotte up there? And crybaby oh no I’m laughing, YES Houston is very important to the US, but... yes yall Texans be boasting like crazy "Atlanta is CNN and coke huh"? Meanwhile most rankings, Atlanta is normally ahead Houston. So it’s like after every single study, I don’t care Houston is more important regardless. It’s funny, I guess all these studies wrong and the subjectiveness of posters are right.
I never disregarded the list; I just disagree with it. Houston and Dallas is leading in GDP, Houston has secured the most funding for Homeland security in the south (the more important a city is; the more funding it gets). Also, I assumed we were talking just about importance and considering that; I think Houston leads in importance. When you throw in Culture, influence, popularity, and other stuff. It's a different story.

Sorry, but looking at facts and statistics; the list just doesn't add up correctly.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
as far as the poll goes, it seems to me that the meaning of the word IMPORTANT is lost among most city-data posters. and no, i'm not just saying this because i'm from texas (before any crybabies try to suggest it). even if i were from atlanta--or dallas for that matter--houston would still be the city most vital to our nation's well being....buuuut i guess cnn and coca-cola are more important than medicine and fuel
And you almost take into account that we're not just looking at importance, but regional importance. No one is citing CNN and Coke as specific things that are regionally important to the South when mentioning Atlanta, so let's not be facetious here. TMC in Houston is huge and very important, but I'm not sure what its regional impact as, as medical centers tend to be pretty dispersed anyway. Atlanta is important as a medcal center, but depending on what the exact medical need is, in my part of the South, you'd wind up going to Durham, Charleston, or Augusta instead of Atlanta. Houston's specialization in energy is very important, but that's nationally, not region-specific. While Houston was a close second for me, Atlanta's status in terms of logistics, commerce, and transportation and how that influences a broad swath of the South is why I voted for it.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And you almost take into account that we're not just looking at importance, but regional importance. No one is citing CNN and Coke as specific things that are regionally important to the South when mentioning Atlanta, so let's not be facetious here. TMC in Houston is huge and very important, but I'm not sure what its regional impact as, as medical centers tend to be pretty dispersed anyway. Atlanta is important as a medcal center, but depending on what the exact medical need is, in my part of the South, you'd wind up going to Durham, Charleston, or Augusta instead of Atlanta. Houston's specialization in energy is very important, but that's nationally, not region-specific. While Houston was a close second for me, Atlanta's status in terms of logistics, commerce, and transportation and how that influences a broad swath of the South is why I voted for it.
TMC is much more than hospitals; it's also research facilities and medical schools. Some of the most important medical inventions were started in Houston at TMC. Lots of celebrities/athletes as far as medical procedures are linked back to here as well. With over 5 million visitors each year, and over 10,000 international visitors. It's much more than regional.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:38 PM

213 posts, read 421,050 times
I think the list doesn't add up too any texans likings...

Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

1. Atlanta
  2. Miami
  3. Dallas
  4. Houston

This is why I said this is funny, Their's like a denial thing going around here. Let me guess Houston niche industry? Here's the thing Charlotte was number 2 in banking maybe still is. So should we disregard everything and place Charlotte up there? And crybaby oh no I?m laughing, YES Houston is very important to the US, but... yes yall Texans be boasting like crazy "Atlanta is CNN and coke huh"? Meanwhile most rankings, Atlanta is normally ahead Houston. So it?s like after every single study, I don?t care Houston is more important regardless. It?s funny, I guess all these studies wrong and the subjectiveness of posters are right.
but what you fail to realize is that these things aren't rating actual importance. it's nothing but a point value system, for goodness sake

in my honest opinion, it's absolutely unarguable that the industries in houston are more vital to our nation than the industries in the other cities, overall

and this question has been asked before, and i'll ask it again: houston is the capital of something; what are the other cities capital of? in other words, what major industry are any of the other cities the leader in?

and that "coke and cnn" statement was meant to be taken as a joke. of course atlanta is worth far more than that

Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
I think the list doesn't add up too any texans likings...
You know; it's not even worth arguing over, I see you ATLiens are already starting up the "Texans are boasters and bias" BS. We can go back and forth all day; I doubt any of us are going to change our minds. Let's just agree to disagree before this thread escalates to a level of immaturity.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:48 PM

213 posts, read 421,050 times
I think Atlanta is a key player on medical too.. Everytime there is a big outbreak with a disease Atlanta and CDC is always mentioned worldwide.. When the swine flu was big that's all u kept hearing was Atlanta and CDC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City