Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Dallas like an overgrown Oklahoma City?
Yes, it is just like Oklahoma City. 62 36.90%
No, it is nothing like that Oklahoma City 106 63.10%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Meh..... It could go either way.

OKC has:
- the NBA team
- 900+ footer
- Bricktown
- Ford Center, Big XII basketball championships
- and what you say about rerouted freeways and canals (don't know about that)

Fort Worth has:
- a project that will double the size of it's downtown area (adding riverwalks, parks, and an urban lake)
- creating "urban villages"
- Sundance Square
- Texas Motor Speedway, Armed Forces Bowl, The Colonial Golf Tourney
- and streetcar system in the works.
So, pretty much a draw. A lot of the projects Fort Worth is trying to do (or has planned) with the Trinity River, OKC has already done, or is under construction.

Quote:
I'm guessing the "insult" part is just habit from people saying that we wouldn't have any of that if it wasn't for Dallas....? Fort Worth has more, but not that much more, ya know?
No, the "insult" part was because kdogg817 believed that Fort Worth should not be compared to OKC. That thought is completely wrong, as both are comparable to each other. Nothing to do with Dallas at all.

Quote:
The red shows parking lots, vacant lots, and areas that can be used to build.
And as far as the skylines go for both cities...... I say Fort Worth is just slightly better in this. Just slightly....
I'd say it's a draw.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
So, pretty much a draw. A lot of the projects Fort Worth is trying to do (or has planned) with the Trinity River, OKC has already done, or is under construction.

No, the "insult" part was because kdogg817 believed that Fort Worth should not be compared to OKC. That thought is completely wrong, as both are comparable to each other. Nothing to do with Dallas at all.

I'd say it's a draw.

I wouldn't really say that. The way I put it, FW and OKC both have what the other city has and doesn't have respectfully. The TRV project is just halfway done. And both cities are reshaping their urban cores and streets at the same time.

And agin, with the skyline, I stick by me saying that Fort Worth is just slightly better. Right now, without the Devon, looking at Oklahoma City's skyline is like looking at ours with fewer, shorter buildings.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:57 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
The new Devon Tower in OKC has been scaled back to 850 ft.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Meh..... It could go either way.

OKC has:
- the NBA team
- 900+ footer
- Bricktown
- Ford Center, Big XII basketball championships
- and what you say about rerouted freeways and canals (don't know about that)

Fort Worth has:
- a project that will double the size of it's downtown area (adding riverwalks, parks, and an urban lake)
- creating "urban villages"
- Sundance Square
- Texas Motor Speedway, Armed Forces Bowl, The Colonial Golf Tourney
- and streetcar system in the works.

I'm guessing the "insult" part is just habit from people saying that we wouldn't have any of that if it wasn't for Dallas....? Fort Worth has more, but not that much more, ya know?

Fort Worth is EXTREMELY conservative and, in a way, scared of going for the big skyscraper projects. The city more focused on street level development. But from this picture below, downtown has PLENTY of room to grow.

The red shows parking lots, vacant lots, and areas that can be used to build.
And as far as the skylines go for both cities...... I say Fort Worth is just slightly better in this. Just slightly....
>>>>>
Armed Forces Bowl
<<<<<

LOL....that's a stretch.

The TMS and the Colonial, however, ARE big time.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 PM

I guess this thread is now a Fort Worth vs OKC thread.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Not really. I wouldn't say Fort Worth is really that much more urban than OKC, especially with the projects in OKC's core like Bricktown. And busier? Not really agree with that either. Maybe if you substitute Dallas instead of Fort Worth, though.
He's right in a sense though. OKC has nothing like the trinity river project going on. It's basically a much larger, more dense, bricktown plus alot more. FW has more of the urban neighborhoods and will have more of them because they are in a larger metro even by itself if you only use the FW-Arlington division.

Quote:
Well Fort Worth is its own city. We don't depend on Dallas for anything, we just so happen to be 30 miles apart from each other. And it's kinda insulting to say that we need another city to have an advantage over another....
Well I understand why you would be insulted. But I do think he has a slight point. It's not because FW is close to Dallas on why they are getting these type of projects. But FW works with the much larger and bigger market of Dallas to attract Trinity River Developments to the area. It doesn't hurt that FW has over 700,000 in the city limits itself and has corporations inside it's city limits. But I do not believe FW would get that type of project if it was by itself. Could be wrong. But not many metros of 2.1 million like FW-Arlington has anything going up like the Trinity River project.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 PM

Dallas' Trinity River Project

YouTube - Trinity Bridge Project

Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
blend Amarillo and OKC and you got Dallas, pretty much.
Worst assertion ever in the history of city-data.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:17 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:

I'd say it's a draw.
You can compare the two but they aren't similar besides the laid back vibe you get from both cities. Fort Worth may not be superior to OKC but I wouldn't call it a draw. "The Fort Worth trinity river project is massive"

Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
He's right in a sense though. OKC has nothing like the trinity river project going on. It's basically a much larger, more dense, bricktown plus alot more. FW has more of the urban neighborhoods and will have more of them because they are in a larger metro even by itself if you only use the FW-Arlington division.

Well I understand why you would be insulted. But I do think he has a slight point. It's not because FW is close to Dallas on why they are getting these type of projects. But FW works with the much larger and bigger market of Dallas to attract Trinity River Developments to the area. It doesn't hurt that FW has over 700,000 in the city limits itself and has corporations inside it's city limits. But I do not believe FW would get that type of project if it was by itself. Could be wrong. But not many metros of 2.1 million like FW-Arlington has anything going up like the Trinity River project.
Thanks Spade a great post...Those projects in OKC are very nice but they don't compare to the trinity river project...Fort Worth itself is already more developed than OKC. As far as Fort Worth attracting these projects all you have to look at is "Who owns downtown Fort Worth" The Bass family=billionaires. Fort Worth has 9 billionaires living in its city limits and that has nothing to do with Dallas. Not many metros of Fort Worth size can claim to have 9 billionaires. A lot of the revenue from the Barnett Shale has been spent in aiding these projects. Fort Worth despite the bad economy has a ever growing tax base. The estimated population of Fort Worth in 2030 is 1,211,665.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City