Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Dallas like an overgrown Oklahoma City?
Yes, it is just like Oklahoma City. 62 36.90%
No, it is nothing like that Oklahoma City 106 63.10%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Both Dallas and Houston have elements of southern culture, but Houston feels more southern to me.

You'll see more of the traditional southernness from the native black communities of either city.

Neither are as country/southern as Memphis, Atlanta, Baton Rouge, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Let's squash it, because I don't want this to turn into "Is Texas southern or western pt. 2"
But it all comes down to your idea of southern.

Yeah I think we should, my brain is literally going to fry if I keep pondering this thought continuously. This isn't even about Houston lol. Oklahoma City is getting neglected from the conversation.

I think I'll let my confusion answer itself one day, it'll all just come into place eventually I hope.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah I think we should, my brain is literally going to fry if I keep pondering this thought continuously. This isn't even about Houston lol. Oklahoma City is getting neglected from the conversation.

I think I'll let my confusion answer itself one day, it'll all just come into place eventually I hope.
Yeah, we did get off topic.
I've never been to Oklahoma City, but people that I have met from Oklahoma remind me of those I've met in Dallas.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,189,270 times
FWIW, I've never thought OKC is a pretty city from the view of the interestates. A lot of people just see I-35 of I-40 and the views of the city are not that impressive. I would imagine some in the poll are voting based on that alone.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Over here in Georgia, we're reading this thread and just laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing ...

Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Over here in Georgia, we're reading this thread and just laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing ...

why?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:35 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Houston and Baton Rouge feel the same to me and Memphis and Dallas are not too far apart in my IMO. The landscape sets those two apart the most to me.
Now, Atlanta....... That's when you get that southeastern southerness. Alabama up into the Carolinas
Wow I really do not get that same feeling when visiting both cities at all. I think Baton Rouge is more like Mississippi than it is Gulf Coast. Houston reminds me of Lafayette if anything in Louisiana.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:39 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't think Dallas is country; my aunt believes that. My aunt is from Houston. I think Waco is pretty country and I see nothing wrong with it. Only Houstonians and Dallasites get angry over being called country.
and I think Waco is too big to be country, country is for small towns

Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
and I think Waco is too big to be country, country is for small towns
Abilene and Waco are about the same size.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas is a big city in the middle of the prairie. If Dallas didnt do any of that stuff, it would not have anything to fall back on. Its not as if Dallas is a naturally beautiful. They had to create their beauty which comes across as plastic and fake.

I strongly disagree with assertion that Dallas is country. Fort Worth is country. It doesnt make those places better or worse. Dallas may be plastic and a bit pretentious, but I have yet to find anything truly country about it. Maybe in the black community there is something different (since the only people I ever hear say Dallas is country are black).

If youre Aunt is from Waco, she would have no room to talk. Waco is pretty damn country, but its a strange combo of a ghetto/country mix. Waco is one of the more ghetto mid-sized towns Ive been to.

Lets keep it real Dallas and Fort Worth are right next door to each other. How the hell can either one be more country than the other?...

Old 07-20-2010, 12:02 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Lets keep it real Dallas and Fort Worth are right next door to each other. How the hell can either one be more country than the other?...
Going from Dallas to Arlington, isnt much of a difference. From Arlington to Ft Worth is like going to a whole other place. Its hard to explain. If you are not from the DFW area it is probably hard to believe, but the two cities are totally different and thats what makes having them next to each other so great. When I go to Ft Worth its like going on vacation to completely different state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City