Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Clearly you have never set foot in Seattle. As to outdoor recreation, there is simply no comparison. Seattle sits between two spectacular mountain ranges, bounded by salt water to the West and fresh water to the East. The Pacific Northwest is light years beyond the Atlanta area regarding opportunities for boating, kayaking, skiing, etc.

The natural beauty in and around Seattle is astounding. Not so much in Atl. There are 3 National Parks within 60 miles as the crow flies from Seattle. There isn't a single National Park in the State of GA.

And I'll be laughing about your contentions regarding ice and snow for a long time. Thanks.
I second everything you said here. I've been all over the country, lived in many regions of the country, and no place at all compares to the Seattle area. The winters here are overrated by outsiders as being bad- outdoor activities are available year round due to the mild winter climate- and the rain is really more of a mist or drizzle most of the time in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 03:18 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I second everything you said here. I've been all over the country, lived in many regions of the country, and no place at all compares to the Seattle area. The winters here are overrated by outsiders as being bad- outdoor activities are available year round due to the mild winter climate- and the rain is really more of a mist or drizzle most of the time in the winter.
That's cool...but you seem to say it without the disparaging/untrue comments about the other cities - unlike some folks. Are you sure you second everything he said?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
It's too bad that OrlFlaUsa's hyperbole has prompted some of the more easily offended posters to attack Atlanta. It's not a battle, folks. If someone makes completely unreasonable claims about your city, it doesn't mean you need to bash the other one (especially since OrlFlaUsa isn't even from ATL)

The most important point I think is that someone genuinely asked this question because they are thinking about moving to one of these cities. Clearly they are aware of the general weather and aren't upset if it "doesn't even get above 95!". OrlFlaUsa, you know perfectly well that 95 is a very high temperature in most of this country and a temp that many people would find uncomfortably hot. If this poster was also from Florida, then it would be valid to bring up the drastic temp difference they would experience. Remember that this isn't a random city vs. city throwdown, it is a question someone asked about their life. Maybe you think cold weather limits outdoor activities and meeting people, but obviously the OP does not since they are considering Boston and Seattle. Hopefully, the OP isn't phased by all the unreasonably posts, but if they are, they probably couldn't hack it in Boston anyways.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM

84 posts, read 182,550 times
This battle is pretty irrelevant to the OP's question.

But in all reality, the victor of the SEA vs ATL battle is clearly spelled out before us:

SEAATL

Haha, get it? SEA and ATL? SEAATL, Seattle.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah, I just wanted to make a really awesome bad joke I thought up.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That's cool...but you seem to say it without the disparaging/untrue comments about the other cities - unlike some folks. Are you sure you second everything he said?
LOL Not everything, I think each place has its positives- I was just throwing my vote out there for Seattle, in my opinion the best place.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
So I left this thread alone for a few days by choice and because I've been busy. I don't want to continue a fight that is not helping the OP. Apparently, my opinion of Atlanta being the supreme choice has stirred up some malice from Seattle posters. I am amazed by your love of your city, but disgruntled by some of the posts that occurred after I left this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It's because you started throwing out wild, completely innacurate assertions like Seattle is a frozen arctic tundra where it is impossible to go outside or meet people in any capacity. You basically insinuated that Seattle and Boston have similar weather, which couldn't be further from the truth. If you instead would have said "I have never been to Seattle and really have no idea what the weather or social scene is like", than people wouldn't be jumping on you for being misinformed.
Yes, I may have not distinguished enough between Boston's weather and Seattle's. As I have only been to Boston and Atlanta, maybe I did jump the gun on making a statement about a place I've never been, but you would never have to visit Florida to know that it's hot and humid here right? I did also say that I was repeating the sentiments of my cousin and her husband who were from Seattle and considered it too cold. I'll give Toughguy the point here but people can have a difference of opinion on what's cold and tundra-like. Atlanta is not what I consider cold, right or wrong, that's my opinion. It says a lot about the posters who would jump on a poster for feeling a certain way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I agree with this. If it the posts made by OrlFlaUsa had been made by a new forumer, I would have assumed it was just a troll trying to get people worked up. Some of the things said were absurd.
If the posters attacking my prefrence of Atlanta were new forumers, I would have just assumed the same. Never heard anyone complain before when the words Seattle and cold appear in the same sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
It's too bad that OrlFlaUsa's hyperbole has prompted some of the more easily offended posters to attack Atlanta. It's not a battle, folks. If someone makes completely unreasonable claims about your city, it doesn't mean you need to bash the other one (especially since OrlFlaUsa isn't even from ATL)

The most important point I think is that someone genuinely asked this question because they are thinking about moving to one of these cities. Clearly they are aware of the general weather and aren't upset if it "doesn't even get above 95!". OrlFlaUsa, you know perfectly well that 95 is a very high temperature in most of this country and a temp that many people would find uncomfortably hot. If this poster was also from Florida, then it would be valid to bring up the drastic temp difference they would experience. Remember that this isn't a random city vs. city throwdown, it is a question someone asked about their life. Maybe you think cold weather limits outdoor activities and meeting people, but obviously the OP does not since they are considering Boston and Seattle. Hopefully, the OP isn't phased by all the unreasonably posts, but if they are, they probably couldn't hack it in Boston anyways.
Okay so you're right, they might not mind the cold. I was trying to give feedback to the OP about what I would do if it were I making the move. I thought that's what relocation threads were about, give advice, lend opinions. Yes, I am not from Atlanta but ask johnatl or another Atl poster, the place is like a second home for me. Maybe I would move to Atlanta over many places, including the relatively cold Seattle and very cold Boston.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
So I left this thread alone for a few days by choice and because I've been busy. I don't want to continue a fight that is not helping the OP. Apparently, my opinion of Atlanta being the supreme choice has stirred up some malice from Seattle posters. I am amazed by your love of your city, but disgruntled by some of the posts that occurred after I left this thread:

Yes, I may have not distinguished enough between Boston's weather and Seattle's. As I have only been to Boston and Atlanta, maybe I did jump the gun on making a statement about a place I've never been, but you would never have to visit Florida to know that it's hot and humid here right? I did also say that I was repeating the sentiments of my cousin and her husband who were from Seattle and considered it too cold. I'll give Toughguy the point here but people can have a difference of opinion on what's cold and tundra-like. Atlanta is not what I consider cold, right or wrong, that's my opinion. It says a lot about the posters who would jump on a poster for feeling a certain way.

If the posters attacking my prefrence of Atlanta were new forumers, I would have just assumed the same. Never heard anyone complain before when the words Seattle and cold appear in the same sentence.

Okay so you're right, they might not mind the cold. I was trying to give feedback to the OP about what I would do if it were I making the move. I thought that's what relocation threads were about, give advice, lend opinions. Yes, I am not from Atlanta but ask johnatl or another Atl poster, the place is like a second home for me. Maybe I would move to Atlanta over many places, including the relatively cold Seattle and very cold Boston.
I suggest that you look up the word "tundra"...Seattle is the last city in the country that could be called "tundra-like"...

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM

Thinking about it some more, I don't think my original post is off base at all. Maybe a little lacking in explanation, better late than never. Also, I apologize if the brevity of it offended some:

Quote:
I'm mainly responding to the points in bold:

IMO, Seattle & Boston will not deliver these things on a daily basis. You will spend months trapped inside by the ice, and snow. You will have nothing left to do but go out to bars since it gets so cold and depressing in Boston and Seattle.
Notice how I started out with IMO, as in "In my opinion". I wanted to be crystal clear that this was only my opinion and not a well accepted fact. I didn't want to just state something like "Seattle and Boston are not good, go to Atlanta." Did I exaggerate about the months trapped by ice and snow, yes, but my writing style partly to blame for that. You can't tell me though that winter doesn't last for months in either city and would trap some heat-seekers inside.

Quote:
Forget your kayak, the rivers and lakes will be frozen over for months. You also won't be meeting too many people based on the horrible weather in either city.
Okay, so the rivers won't likely be frozen over making them inaccessible, but it could get pretty cold in January to be out on the water. Heck, it even gets cold in Florida in January. As a lifelong boater and water enthusiast, I do know what I'm talking about with lake effect cooling.

Quote:
Now Atlanta on the other hand, has a much milder climate that would give you almost year round kayaking and archery. You're close to beautiful mountains with great streams and not too far from the ocean (warm unlike Boston or Seattle). Atlanta is a great city and I think almost anywhere ITP would do the trick for you.
All I was trying to say here is that North GA doesn't have a harsh climate and a few short hours to the SE is a warmer ocean than that of the PNW or New England. I also said "Atlanta is a great city" which meant you'll find your bookstores and comics to spend hours with. For those who haven't been to Atlanta, there is a great urban vibe to many of it's neighborhoods and I don't feel like you'd be missing out on what the OP was looking for in Atlanta vs Seattle or Boston. Maybe I'm guilty of defending a city that a lot of people trash as a giant suburb or whatnot.

Anyways, hope the explanation helped you guys understand where I was coming from and that my motive for posting it was to help the OP by giving them one more person's view to consider. I find it hard to believe that the posters that started to pick apart my opinion had the best of intentions about this thread.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
I don't remember seeing people attacking your preference for Atlanta necessarily...but I do remember your first post:

Quote:
I'm mainly responding to the points in bold:

IMO, Seattle & Boston will not deliver these things on a daily basis. You will spend months trapped inside by the ice, and snow. You will have nothing left to do but go out to bars since it gets so cold and depressing in Boston and Seattle. Forget your kayak, the rivers and lakes will be frozen over for months. You also won't be meeting too many people based on the horrible weather in either city. Now Atlanta on the other hand, has a much milder climate that would give you almost year round kayaking and archery. You're close to beautiful mountains with great streams and not too far from the ocean (warm unlike Boston or Seattle). Atlanta is a great city and I think almost anywhere ITP would do the trick for you.
Most of this post is pure drivel, especially regarding Seattle. Boston gets very cold...but by no means are you "trapped inside by the ice and snow" for months on end. Just because you are from Florida and aren't conditioned to be able to tolerate cold weather doesn't mean others aren't. Since the OP is from Nebraska and her SO is from Indiana, there is no reason to think they're going to spend their winters huddled together crying about there being snow on the ground.

Your inaccurate claims about Seattle opened up the flood gates for others to thrash you (and you deserved it). You weren't stating your preference for Atlanta, you were dragging Seattle and Boston through the mud in order to make Atlanta look better.

Some advice: if you have a preference for a city, simply post reasons why you like that city. Don't post false things about places you have absolutely zero familiarity with.

P.S. I don't know where you're from but being 3.5-4 hours away from the ocean does not equal "not too far" for most people.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I suggest that you look up the word "tundra"...Seattle is the last city in the country that could be called "tundra-like"...
I think Miami would be the LAST city in the country to be called "tundra-like" not Seattle. Okay so Seattle nor Boston is a true tundra. Florida is not the true tropics, but it is "tropic-like".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City